• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 186 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Indeed, he could focus on ITT from Giro to WC ITT, but that might cost him the RR, and if he fails in the ITT, he'll just get 2 podium places again instead of the win.
With Tarling in the mix, his podium days are likely over unless he starts investing time in the TT. Which brings us to how likely he will ever be to win a WCC/Olympic RR even if he doesn't focus on his TT.

Do you think he should spend more time focusing on his Time Trial?
I'm inclined to say yes, considerring some of his career 's biggest wins have been TT's. It might also improve his solo efforts (or inspire him to go solo) because him being able to do bunch sprints is probably the single biggest reason why he hasn't won any major monument or championships. On the one hand, he keeps betting in his sprint (and keeps losing), on the other hand his opponents will either try to drop him because of it (even work together to do so) or force him to do the work since he's "the sprinter".

I'm inclined to say yes, considerring some of his career 's biggest wins have been TT's. It might also improve his solo efforts (or inspire him to go solo) because him being able to do bunch sprints is probably the single biggest reason why he hasn't won any major monument or championships. On the one hand, he keeps betting in his sprint (and keeps losing), on the other hand his opponents will either try to drop him because of it (even work together to do so) or force him to do the work since he's "the sprinter".
I kinda disagree here, although I get your point. WvA has the whole aura of being the eternal second, and focusing on a discipline where he might win a Giro stage, or, at best an Olympic bronze medal only reinforces that image.

I still think WvA has all the qualities to win both MSR (2nd time), PR (he's build for that race) and RvV and in the mean time being an epic stage racer in GTs. That is more prestigious to me, and I think honours his legacy more than some ITT wins in the Tour de Suisse or whatever.

Reactions: Bolder and tobydawq
I kinda disagree here, although I get your point. WvA has the whole aura of being the eternal second, and focusing on a discipline where he might win a Giro stage, or, at best an Olympic bronze medal only reinforces that image.

I still think WvA has all the qualities to win both MSR (2nd time), PR (he's build for that race) and RvV and in the mean time being an epic stage racer in GTs. That is more prestigious to me, and I think honours his legacy more than some ITT wins in the Tour de Suisse or whatever.
He has every bit as much chances to grab gold in the TT (if he trains it) as on the RR. Maybe even more. Last two years he didn't focus on the WCC TT or even forfait. How did that work out for him in the RR?

He has every bit as much chances to grab gold in the TT (if he trains it) as on the RR. Maybe even more.
You're serious? Sorry but that's just bollocks. In a day and age of specialization he'll be competing against younger riders that are more tailoring their season towards the TT like Evenepoel, Ganna and Tarling. On 8 out of 10 RR circuits WvA is a top-3 contender, to win the TT worlds he needs not only a perfect day, he needs others to have a sh*te day.

You're serious? Sorry but that's just bollocks. In a day and age of specialization he'll be competing against younger riders that are more tailoring their season towards the TT like Evenepoel, Ganna and Tarling. On 8 out of 10 RR circuits WvA is a top-3 contender, to win the TT worlds he needs not only a perfect day, he needs others to have a sh*te day.
Complete BS. Last time he focused on the TT, he was 6 seconds slower than Ganna. And even then he still focused more on the RR. You think beating Evenepoel, Van der Poel, Pogacar, Pedersen, Laporte, Pidcock, De Lie... in the RR is easier than beating Ganna, Evenepoel and Tarling in the TT? I sure as hell don't. With a good bike and a focus on the TT, he "can" beat anyone. That doesn't mean he will but he is certainly capable of it without the others crashing, puncturing or having an off day.

And you think that Evenepoel's only focus in a season is the WCC TT? The moment a TT parcours comes along which isn't too flat, he should already have the upper hand on Ganna and Tarling. And why are you acting as if he's 38?

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, i don't share it.

But even assuming that what you say is true, which I doubt heavily because I would argue that in 2024 there are more riders intrinsicaly better TT'ers (Evenepoel, Tarling), you omit the factor of 'opportunity cost'. Full pull focus on one discipline, hampers the focus and dedication on the other one. If WvA goes full Tony Martin style, and invests his time and efforts into becoming the best time trialist, this will negatively trade off his chances on road races. For me, an overly narrowed focus on a less prestigious discipline like TT'ing would seem quite shortsighted in many ways and I doubt if Visma, even Mathieu Heijboer his personal trainer and TT guru, would consider this.

Van Aert should probably only do the Olympics ITT and only because it's after the road race. Worlds he shouldn't do the ITT, full stop. His window to win the WC ITT has closed.

Evenepoel probably do the ITT at both, but we can't discount the notion that doing the WC ITT will hurt his chances in the WC RR.

But even assuming that what you say is true, which I doubt heavily because I would argue that in 2024 there are more riders intrinsicaly better TT'ers (Evenepoel, Tarling), you omit the factor of 'opportunity cost'. Full pull focus on one discipline, hampers the focus and dedication on the other one. If WvA goes full Tony Martin style, and invests his time and efforts into becoming the best time trialist, this will negatively trade off his chances on road races. For me, an overly narrowed focus on a less prestigious discipline like TT'ing would seem quite shortsighted in many ways and I doubt if Visma, even Mathieu Heijboer his personal trainer and TT guru, would consider this.
Ganna and Tarling will usually also focus in part on the track. Evenepoel will always target a GC in a GT and likely the RR. Had he not decided to skip the TT in 2022... he would already have been WC most likely. He doesn't have to go full R-tard TT in order to have a shot. With just a bit more focus he could have taken the title in 2021 as well.

Van Aert should probably only do the Olympics ITT and only because it's after the road race. Worlds he shouldn't do the ITT, full stop. His window to win the WC ITT has closed.

Evenepoel probably do the ITT at both, but we can't discount the notion that doing the WC ITT will hurt his chances in the WC RR.
Lol

Following days WVA is riding Clasica Almeria, Clasica Jaen, and Volta ao Algarve. He said beforehand that in Almeria they are focussing on Kooij, he'll probably do the leadout. At Jaen he hopes to be with the top competitors due to the gravel sections and the race being quite hard. At Algarve he is mostly focusing on 1-2 stages of which the TT, he won't go for the GC.

Following days WVA is riding Clasica Almeria, Clasica Jaen, and Volta ao Algarve. He said beforehand that in Almeria they are focussing on Kooij, he'll probably do the leadout. At Jaen he hopes to be with the top competitors due to the gravel sections and the race being quite hard. At Algarve he is mostly focusing on 1-2 stages of which the TT, he won't go for the GC.

He wants to go for the olympic TT apparently... then i have no idea why he would not do Algarve for GC. Because it will be decided in the TT, and the hilly stages are easy enough for him to stay close. But i know that's what he said, i just don't see what he has to lose going for GC here, since he has a realistic chance of actually winning it (if he has improved his TT position during the winter, which he would have needed in order to perform at the OG).

He wants to go for the olympic TT apparently... then i have no idea why he would not do Algarve for GC. Because it will be decided in the TT, and the hilly stages are easy enough for him to stay close. But i know that's what he said, i just don't see what he has to lose going for GC here, since he has a realistic chance of actually winning it (if he has improved his TT position during the winter, which he would have needed in order to perform at the OG).
I don’t get it either, even more so since I expect him to have quite a high level already. He might say something different after the TT.

Unfortunately, Wout is now in the hard place where "winning" doesn't matter unless it's winning RVV, PR, or the WC . Kind've like a team with a history of being great in the regular season but not winning when it counts in the playoffs. Hope he gets one of those wins this year - as long as MVDP gets at least one too.
Yeah, I would gladly takeRoubaix win for Wout, and Ronde for Mathieu + Olympics RR ;)

Unfortunately, Wout is now in the hard place where "winning" doesn't matter unless it's winning RVV, PR, or the WC . Kind've like a team with a history of being great in the regular season but not winning when it counts in the playoffs. Hope he gets one of those wins this year - as long as MVDP gets at least one too.

I prefered the version that was going for the win in every single race on the schedule. Maybe he couldn't hit MVP level super peaks in one day races but it was more entertaining to watch him compete on all terrains and in all kinds of races. I hope that he at least starts to contest sprints again after the classics season is over.

Can only hope that Pog never changes his approach just because Vingegaard is beating him in the Tour.