• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 216 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wout van Aert signs with Visma-LAB For Life.

Wout van Aert signs 'unique' career-long contract extension with Visma-Lease a Bike

• Wow
Reactions: awavey and SHAD0W93
Wout van Aert signs with Visma-LAB For Life.

Wout van Aert signs 'unique' career-long contract extension with Visma-Lease a Bike
Yes, but. The team only barely escaped a big financial hit thanks to Pon. If I understood correctly the LAB part is only a for another year. If/when things change significantly, is a "lifetime" or "till you want to retire" contract going to be honored?

Reactions: proffate
Is he going to keep racing past his best years? if not then this is essentially a 5 year contract. I can't seem him racing on like Thomas or Valverde as he's not that type of rider, he's more of a Boonen or Cancellera so I'd be surprised if goes much beyond 35 years.

But that's arguably not the point with a deal like this, it's he's put counter offers from other teams off the table for the rest of his career, for someone with his marketability and ability, that's a serious commitment usually backed by lots of money from the team, but we aren't hearing that's the case here

Reactions: SHAD0W93
But that's arguably not the point with a deal like this, it's he's put counter offers from other teams off the table for the rest of his career, for someone with his marketability and ability, that's a serious commitment usually backed by lots of money from the team, but we aren't hearing that's the case here
A lifetime contract makes no sense to either party. So if RedBull offer him double what he's making he can't take it? Or does vlab just have the right of first refusal?

Likewise if Wout seriously injured himself a la froome but has a "lifetime" contract at previous wages keeping him motivated to keep riding, then this obligation is just a huge burden on the vlab team which could force them to fold. I mean what sponsor wants to cough up $5M/year for Froome when they could spend that 5M somewhere else with more freedom? The people who signed the contract don't actually have the money. They only signed up someone else to keep paying Wout's wages in perpetuity.

I have no idea how this contract works but it seems like it's either a terrible idea or a publicity stunt (probably both).

Why is it even necessary in any way? What's wrong with negotiating a new contract every year or three? If you're so chummy then it will be a quick and easy negotiation. Contracts are only necessary when you *don't* trust the other party.

Reactions: xo 1
Sure, but i'm simply saying it's fundamentally just another 5 year contract typical in many teams. The value in it is Wout is locked into a known contract whatever happens to him.

Yes, but RB didn't had a team until recently. So they could gather riders to their team or stop sponsor individual riders.
I think usually it's the local branch of Red Bull that decides which athletes to sponsor, so in this case Red Bull Belgium picked their local hero Wout van Aert. I don't know if he even has a contract with the international company. Like the local Volvo dealer isn't the same as the international brand of Volvo.

That's what insurance is for
Is that reality or just a nice thought, though? I've never heard of insurance buying out someone's contract after a big crash or cardiac anomaly prematurely ending a career. I'm not an actuary but it seems like the premiums would have to be pretty high for that plan to make sense to the carrier. Also it's just too easy to commit fraud here. Like froome can still ride, just not at the previous level. So does he or his team get an insurance payout or is that normal athletic decline? For $25M, I'm going to court to litigate that.

The year is 2060, Visma - Lease a Plane is once again affected by a terrible series of injuries after Kelderson, Gesinkid and Vinniegrandson all crash before the monuments. Team owner Benjamin Naesen Sr. promptly remembers that one Wout Van Aert is still contracted with the team and after consulting with The Great Cycling Overlord Richard Pluggerton, fields the belgian for the Ronde.

Reactions: QueenStagiaire
Is that reality or just a nice thought, though? I've never heard of insurance buying out someone's contract after a big crash or cardiac anomaly prematurely ending a career. I'm not an actuary but it seems like the premiums would have to be pretty high for that plan to make sense to the carrier. Also it's just too easy to commit fraud here. Like froome can still ride, just not at the previous level. So does he or his team get an insurance payout or is that normal athletic decline? For $25M, I'm going to court to litigate that.
There have been articles here in the US recently about NFL teams insuring contracts in case of injury where they have to pay out guaranteed money to someone unable to play, and one executive quoted the policy cost to be between 1- 4M$ US to cover a $40M/ year guaranteed salary of a quarterback.

Reactions: Sciatic