• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Okay, let's give him that thread: Colbrelli, you deserve it

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I’m sure there is a high end, expensive, and high tech one that can do a better job at detecting what rhythm and go from there with a lot more fine tuning. Thinking about the ICD, it is like cardioversion which is used for tachycardia but caused by the atrium instead of ventricles and starts at 50 joules. But we didn’t really go over ICD in school besides basics and it’s not part of the ACLS certification course. For more and better information and from the gold standard for all resuscitation and emergency situations is by American Heart Association if anyone wants to read more.

This line is kind of what we've ben talking about with 'smart' ICDs:
"Stored information can help your doctor optimize the ICD for your needs."

Reactions: Sandisfan
It is like a pacemaker. The pacemaker will go off whenever the heart rate goes below the set limit, so let’s say 60 beats per minute. For athletes, their resting heart rate will go below that frequently so it would have to be adjusted to their situation.

I'm sure all these top cyclists have resting HR in 30-40 range. They have too big engines to need more BPMs at rest.

This line is kind of what we've ben talking about with 'smart' ICDs:
"Stored information can help your doctor optimize the ICD for your needs."
Yes and I’m sure the ICD ranged from basic-the very best. I’m sure he would be able to get the very best. It’s like my brother who has type 1 DM. His insulin pump is middle of the road and they have even better ones then he had vs those that have to finger stick and inject the insulin manually.

I'm sure all these top cyclists have resting HR in 30-40 range. They have too big engines to need more BPMs at rest.
Absolutely but I was using 60 it as an example since that’s what most are set to. So for the ICD it would have to be set to his limits. Obviously in the moment exercise he will be higher but then his heart rate shouldn’t go to let’s say 180 theoretically since he has better cardio endurance and stamina. Vs let’s say me. My resting heart rate is 50-70 and I’m maybe a quarter of Colbrelli fit wise. When I’m exercising it goes up to 140-200 depending on what’s going on. Just today doing the DEKA competition my heart rate went up to 205 at the most. So his doctor will find the best rate to set it.

Reactions: jmdirt
And for more like clarification. 60-100 heart rate is normal baseline for adults. <60 bradycardia and >100 with >120 at rest getting scary since there is a cause for why that is. For exercising a formula of what your max heart rate should be is 220 - your age = the max heart rate while exercising.

So normally the pacemaker and ICD are set to those perimeters and obviously most of the people getting these aren’t in the best physical shape.

I hope he can compete again even if under a different license, maybe do European Union like Klöden but understand if he doesn’t. It would be scary if happened again, especially a misfire when he is sprinting at the end. Also monetary I hope he isn’t adversely affected. In MLB a defender got his leg broken in the playoffs by a runner sliding into him and he went from making 1 mil US dollars to $35000. And like others have said, at least it occurred in the finish town and not the open road which would have delayed the resuscitation.

Interview with Thomas De Gendt who says Colbrelli might have been one of sources of all the sick guys in Paris Nice as he was coughing his way trough the different stages.

He argues some riders have continued to ride eventhough they had clear symptoms and that is one of the reasons the heart could get infected.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20220503_92786042
That would be very unfortunate and insanely stupid if this were actually the cause and source of his misery.

I hope Celine Dion can be an everlasting source of inspiration for Sonny.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Interview with Thomas De Gendt who says Colbrelli might have been one of sources of all the sick guys in Paris Nice as he was coughing his way trough the different stages.

He argues some riders have continued to ride eventhough they had clear symptoms and that is one of the reasons the heart could get infected.

Sounds like a *** move to blame someone who pulled out of the race because of sickness after finishing stage 1 (he didn't even start on the 2nd stage, so the multiple stages part in that quote is just bs) and had heart problems later on without any prove.
De Gendt is just talking nonsense.

Sounds like a *** move to blame someone who pulled out of the race because of sickness after finishing stage 1 (he didn't even start on the 2nd stage, so the multiple stages part in that quote is just bs) and had heart problems later on without any prove.
De Gendt is just talking nonsense.
Article doesn't say multiple stages. Just that he was 'coughing his way through the whole peloton'

He doesn't even say 'might have been', he outright says Colbrelli infected 'all of us' in Paris-Nice on his own. Disgusting slander, and in especially bad taste considering Colbrelli's current health, all to cope with/excuse his bad performances which definitely didn't start 11 months prior to Paris-Nice and are therefore entirely unrelated to the illnesses there.

Such a shame. Lucky to be alive, but with a "what could have been" termite that for any athlete is a cruel misfortune.
True. But at least he finished on a very high note—winning PR and European championships. That probably does create frustration or anger about what more he could have accomplished having reached that pinnacle. But I would think in the long run it’s better to have achieved such top results, rather than knowing he had the talent but never got a big win.

True. But at least he finished on a very high note—winning PR and European championships. That probably does create frustration or anger about what more he could have accomplished having reached that pinnacle. But I would think in the long run it’s better to have achieved such top results, rather than knowing he had the talent but never got a big win.
Sure, but it's about being forced to stop before deciding to stop. He'll be fine, but it's a big regret.

Sure, but it's about being forced to stop before deciding to stop. He'll be fine, but it's a big regret.
I think it'll be clear to any athlete like a month after they make their decision, that indeed the regret would've been to continue and have irrevocable damage done to their body.

Barry Sanders in US Football comes to mind. Retired right in the middle of his prime - no regrets at all as far as I know. He just knew that the damage to his head and knees wouldn't be worth it.

I think it'll be clear to any athlete like a month after they make their decision, that indeed the regret would've been to continue and have irrevocable damage done to their body.

Barry Sanders in US Football comes to mind. Retired right in the middle of his prime - no regrets at all as far as I know. He just knew that the damage to his head and knees wouldn't be worth it.
I don't know, it's like going from being a god to ordinary existance. Some handle it better than others.

I dont think he will lie sleepless about it, not after coming so close to death. Heart issues are scary and I think the "lucky to be alive" part takes over. Being able to see your kids grow up and be with your family.

I think a crash sort of like Froome, Belocki and so on suffered is more towards the stuff you are talking about. You can come back but you are not the same rider anymore. Thats when the "what if" comes up, in my opinion.

I dont think he will lie sleepless about it, not after coming so close to death. Heart issues are scary and I think the "lucky to be alive" part takes over. Being able to see your kids grow up and be with your family.

I think a crash sort of like Froome, Belocki and so on suffered is more towards the stuff you are talking about. You can come back but you are not the same rider anymore. Thats when the "what if" comes up, in my opinion.
Or it could be like the ancient Greeks said, "those who die young are loved by the gods," spared so much, as they are, of the weight of existance.

Last edited:
  • Wow

TRENDING THREADS