• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Road Race Men

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
The Barb said:
Exciting race.

Very bad result for image of the sport. Every story outside of the usual cycling media will be about the drug cheat winning, not about the style of the win.

+ 1

Bad day for cycling.

Vino has a lot of fans who know cycling, but for the average sportsfan, Vino is a doper and another example of the fact that cycling is a sport dominated by dopers.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I don't agree he rode for silver. They both took turns so that's bs.
The final moment will lead to an endless discussion wether Vino bought this or not, but if Vino really did buy the race I hope they wouldn't do it this obvious don't you think?
I don't believe it:D

Uran was completely dead and kept coming through even at 2km to go. He rode for silver.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The last sentence might be hyperbole, but it was certainly the overachiever race of the year, i.e. the race that promised the least but delivered the most in relation to that.

agreed. It was a good race, given the expectations based on the profile.

I think we also saw less calculated riding. People were really burying themselves (i.e. castroviejo) to make the race hard.

Ultimately, a lot came down to race instinct.

Wergeland said:
+ 1

Bad day for cycling.

Vino has a lot of fans who know cycling, but for the average sportsfan, Vino is a doper and another example of the fact that cycling is a sport dominated by dopers.

Sad but true. The race was great in terms of spectacle but in terms of result, big step backwards for pro racing

Mellow Velo said:
Anyhow, the Cav course actually produced a great race; much more animated than the average World Champs.

Who would have thought?
A Kazakh, Columbian, Norwegian podium.
Very inoffensive.

Big red faces for GB, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Italy, Australia, Holland and even France.

Very sad scene with Cancellara.
Season done, I'd say.

Now I'd like to protect my countrymen a bit. They were attacking all day and when Uran and Vino were gone it was Gesink who was pulling the group for a long time. Not fast enought, but still he was.
Too bad Terpstra and Boonen decided to gamble on the Team GB pulling everyone back.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
This race proves yet again why classics are better than GTs. The parcours wasn't too good, but the riders made it hard because tomorrow doesn't matter.

World championships should have five man teams as well!

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Uran was completely dead and kept coming through even at 2km to go. He rode for silver.

give a bit of credit to Vino making a clever move there when Uran looked over his left shoulder to see how big the gap was and Vino jumped right.

TRENDING THREADS