• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics 2021

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The jumps that are done on the balance beam can have all sorts of deductions that if you weren't taught how to do the jumps you may not see or recognize. Now some of those jumps I've never been able to do, but know what they are supposed to look like so can tell when there are likely to be small deductions.
Girrrl, I could barely do a walkover on the beam, let alone any of those jumps. That's not to say I lacked balance...

Did you know some of the women pole vaulters are former gymnasts? At some point their coaches had just said you are getting too tall, let's see what else we can do with your pliable, but too tall, body. (Wish I had had that choice back then, the pole vault looks kinda fun.)

Reactions: jmdirt
Girrrl, I could barely do a walkover on the beam, let alone any of those jumps. That's not to say I lacked balance...

Did you know some of the women pole vaulters are former gymnasts? At some point their coaches had just said you are getting too tall, let's see what else we can do with your pliable, but too tall, body. (Wish I had had that choice back then, the pole vault looks kinda fun.)

It's not for everyone and I HATED it. I could do jumps just not correctly. :laughing: I could do a cartwheel a little over half the time. The rest was just push off and jump down. Now I could easily run and do a round off off the the beam. I liked the uneven bars better. I could simple release moves on it. Forget the vault. I can't vault.

I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

Speaking of judges...
Isn't boxing judge the easiest job on earth? Does it take any skill at all? At least other sports' judge involved technicalities and appear to do things average people need some learnings to do, these guys just judge rounds, confirm their bias, and disagree among each other. Or I miss something.

Did you know some of the women pole vaulters are former gymnasts? At some point their coaches had just said you are getting too tall, let's see what else we can do with your pliable, but too tall, body.

Yes, from Isinbayeva to local club level tall gymnast that I know, pole vault seems to be common suggestion.

Speaking of judges...
Isn't boxing judge the easiest job on earth? Does it take any skill at all? At least other sports' judge involved technicalities and appear to do things average people need some learnings to do, these guys just judge rounds, confirm their bias, and disagree among each other. Or I miss something.

I think it's easier to be the judge or flag waverer in high jump or pole vault.

Keep everything. Weightlifting, boxing, men's football, shooting, 10 skateboard medals and walking about 130k.
But get rid of modern pentathlon.
The horses get all the blame, but damn, those are good horses, if you don't have a clue about riding, don't choose a sport where riding is a huge part of it!! :mad:

I'm thinking about initiating a petition, if there isn't one already.

USA has crept to within 4 of China for the lead in gold medals after the US victory in beach volleyball. China's team sports have cratered, so the US has a big advantage there. They need to win both basketball and 4x400 relays to have a chance. Baseball and women's volleyball gold medal games are more iffy. China still has 1 more diving and 1 more table tennis event to add to their lead. It might come down to the boxing and kumite results.

Reactions: jmdirt
USA has crept to within 4 of China for the lead in gold medals after the US victory in beach volleyball. China's team sports have cratered, so the US has a big advantage there. They need to win both basketball and 4x400 relays to have a chance. Baseball and women's volleyball gold medal games are more iffy. China still has 1 more diving and 1 more table tennis event to add to their lead. It might come down to the boxing and kumite results.
A chance less in kumite.

48.36 for Miller-Uibo, finishing a sweep for the Bahamas in the 400m. That puts her #6 on the all time list and the second fastest ever 400m post 2000. Really smart race by Felix to eek out the bronze, only 0.2s off her lifetime best.

China picked up their table tennis gold, but the US got a wrestling gold to keep the gap at 4. China is leading the Women's Javelin, which would be a big pick-up. But I did forget that the US is in the Women's Water Polo final too. It'll be close, but the US will probably need to sneak a gold in something like the Marathons or the Men's 1500m to have a chance.

Last edited:
At least there are some other voices now who critisize the pentathlon event.

from the article:
Schleus' burst medal chances moved many viewers. Many felt for her. Raisner, on the other hand, was criticized for her behavior on social networks. At the beginning of Schleus Ritt you can clearly hear how the national trainer loudly calls on the rider: "Hit it right." Raisner also punched Saint Boy in the side with his fist.

Schleu was also criticized for the intensive use of spurs and whip. According to her own statement, she received "hate messages" on social networks immediately after the competition. "A lot of bad news has already come in. As a television viewer, you might want to believe that it is always the same with us as it is today. But the successes we have otherwise celebrated speak against it. We Germans are good, solid in modern pentathlon and empathetic riders known, "she said of the anonymous hostility.
DOSB: Rules should be changed

The events in Tokyo sparked a debate about animal welfare and the rules of pentathlon. The German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB) demanded consequences: "Today's competition in modern pentathlon riding was partly characterized by scenes that damage the image of the sport. Numerous recognizable excessive demands on horse-rider combinations should be an urgent cause for this for the international association to change the set of rules. It must be redesigned in such a way that it protects horse and rider. The welfare of the animals and fair competition conditions for the athletes must be the focus. "

The German Equestrian Association made a similar statement: "From our point of view, the rules of this sport must be designed and applied in such a way that rider and horse are protected.

from the article:
Opinion: Modern pentathlon - watching with gag reflex

The show jumping in the modern pentathlon on the 14th day of competition in Tokyo was anything but advertising for equestrian sport. And what was offered in the arena had nothing to do with normal show jumping, but rather has to be described as cruelty to animals. No show jumper would drive his animal over the obstacles with all her might if it clearly does not want to, or has already refused several obstacles. Even at major events, it is common practice that the rider would rather finish the round and be eliminated from the competition than continue to bother his horse. Fortunately, the welfare of the animals is more important than sporting success.

The problem with modern pentathlon lies in the rules and structures. The athletes are often not the best riders because they come from sports like swimming and learn to ride late. In addition, you don't often train in the saddle. The pentathletes do not compete with their own sport horses, but are given an animal and drawn by lot.

At the Olympic Games it is certainly not bad horses, at smaller competitions it often looks very different because no horse owner wants to lend his good horses to mediocre riders. The risk of injury to the animals is too great for that. It is not for nothing that it has been discussed for a long time whether riding should not be replaced by, for example, mountain biking or another discipline. After the women's competition in Tokyo, one should think about it more seriously than before.

And I missed that...

Horse put down after injury in the eventing in Tokyo.
It's my understanding once a horse is hurt badly enough there is nothing more that can be done but put it out of its misery.

I used to follow the Triple Crown years ago, but after Barbaro I am done with this horse stuff forever and ever.

Reactions: Andon and jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS