• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omloop Het (Volk) Nieuwsblad - Feb 26th 2011

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
El Pistolero said:
No, Boonen gets nothing but praise right now.

The headline in today's newspaper was "Only Boonen in beeld"

And it's not like I care about a Belgian winning the Omloop as I don't.

When there won't be a Belgian in the top 10 of P-R or the RVV then I'll be sour, but for a race that isn't even on the World Tour? Pass.

I'm just saying Flecha looked stronger in the last 30km.

He looked stronger to you, and to Dekker Langeveld was stronger. We can leave it at that. In the end it doesn't matter cause in the future people will only remember Langeveld as being the winner of the 2011 OHNB. Let's move along now.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, some posters need to learn some manners and respect.

Is that really an issue on here? I've not been around for too long, but I haven't noticed a lack of respect yet. I feel like most people respect each other as fellow cycling fans. I might be wrong.

boomcie said:
Is that really an issue on here? I've not been around for too long, but I haven't noticed a lack of respect yet. I feel like most people respect each other as fellow cycling fans. I might be wrong.

It's common to find that in the Clinic but rarely outside of it.

In all my nine hundred posts, I only got savaged twice, by two users who still post here today. One of them (who is currently temporarily banned), we sorted it out by PM. The other was intransigent but since he/she came back after a long break, he/she has clearly had a personality transplant and started being quite courteous.

It's like society in general. There's a wide spectrum on here. I'd say that the mods do a great job in general. Now certain people have retired, things can focus on today's racing. ;)

I don't think there were any obviously poor shows over the weekend that I could think of. In fact, I actually thought that made it a level playing field.

I think we all expected something from Flecha and he was very unlucky in the end, but equally I thought he shouldn't have left it that long. For me, either Langeveld was faking it or he looked wrecked with about 10km to go. I said to myself, if this comes down to a sprint, Flecha will lose. I thought Langeveld seemed bien cuit but he got too much time to take a breath and his adrenaline to kick in.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
My opinion for what it's worth. Not much.

Waiting for Flecha was the safest and correct option. It meant that there was no possibility of an organised chase catching either man, reducing the race to a one-against-one.

I'm not sure I'd read much into the speed at which the gap reduced once it was clear the catch would be made, the fact that Langeveld had to virtually stop, would indicate that Flecha had eased off too.

Flecha looked to be struggling to move a high gear in the sprint. I would be surprised if he couldn't have made up that 10cm and more in a lower gear. Still, it made for an epic battle and a great start to the spring classics; congratulations to both men. But more congratulations to Langevelt obviously.

El Pistolero said:
Langeveld started to back down when the gap was at 13 seconds. He said so him self after the race.
No he said 30 seconds after the race. Appearently you are east indian deaf.

The total wait was at 13 seconds, but he already went to riding at 90% when he heard the gap was 30 seconds. Go watch the post race interviews on NOS and Sporza again.

Not that it matters much, because you will never agree with my opinion and I will never agree with your opinion (yes opinion, not fact, like you state it)

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Should we? Flecha was clearly stronger. Although having someone crash right in front of him probably didn't help Boom in following Flecha's attack.

Flecha was stronger, that is correct. But Boom was in no position to follow him, with or without the crash. It came as a surprise to me that Roelandts (!) outperformed him there...

I know Roelandts is an OK cyclist, but if Boom wants to be up there in the classics he is going to have to best Roelandts every time.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I know Boom was to be a safeguard of Langevelds attack, but I suspected he would atleast try to parry Flecha's attack eventhough he almost fell so he probably couldnt do better.

boomcie said:
Flecha was stronger, that is correct. But Boom was in no position to follow him, with or without the crash. It came as a surprise to me that Roelandts (!) outperformed him there...

I know Roelandts is an OK cyclist, but if Boom wants to be up there in the classics he is going to have to best Roelandts every time.
We'll see in April. He didn't do so bad, up until the crash he did a fine job controlling the chase. Yesterday he abandoned with a sore knee.

As for Roelandts outperforming him... he was on Flecha's wheel, but it's not like he held on for very long either.

boomcie said:

By that logic Roelandts outperformed all of the top favorites as well. Doesn't mean anything come the real classics. Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't Roelandts and Boom arrive in the same group? Roelandts finishing 9th and Boom 10th? Thus, outperformed might be stretching it.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
By that logic Roelandts outperformed all of the top favorites as well. Doesn't mean anything come the real classics. Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't Roelandts and Boom arrive in the same group? Roelandts finishing 9th and Boom 10th? Thus, outperformed might be stretching it.

Just saying that Boom was absolutely supposed to be on Flecha's wheel, because he was supposed to defend Langeveld's attack.
Also, Boom has so much more potential than Roelandts, so yes I believe the kid outperformed him. He rode a more "impressive" race and literally outperfomed Boom by one place ;)

The comparison with the top riders was mainly null and void.

Captain_Cavman said:
My opinion for what it's worth. Not much.

Waiting for Flecha was the safest and correct option. It meant that there was no possibility of an organised chase catching either man, reducing the race to a one-against-one.

I'm not sure I'd read much into the speed at which the gap reduced once it was clear the catch would be made, the fact that Langeveld had to virtually stop, would indicate that Flecha had eased off too.

Flecha looked to be struggling to move a high gear in the sprint. I would be surprised if he couldn't have made up that 10cm and more in a lower gear. Still, it made for an epic battle and a great start to the spring classics; congratulations to both men. But more congratulations to Langevelt obviously.

There is no right or wrong answer to that, it depends on far too many things which make that decision personal to the rider in question. It was "correct" only because he went on to win.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
There is no right or wrong answer to that, it depends on far too many things which make that decision personal to the rider in question. It was "correct" only because he went on to win.

It was correct in "My opinion".

boomcie said:
Did we already discuss Boom failing to follow Flecha?
What's to discuss? We already know Flecha is stronger than Boom, and we already know Boom's tank goes empty after 180/190km, in Omloop it was no different. He couldn't follow any of the attacks for 3rd place either.

I still have severe doubts over Booms classics ambitions, when it seems every time, over and over again, he can't cope with long races. Maaskant had to chase for 20km after the fall because his bike was broken, and he still came back, answered booms attack with ease, and outperformed him too....

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If Boom fails at the big classics in the next few or so years then he's better off at cyclocross imo.

I might be proven wrong in the future, but I just don't think Boom has it in him to win a Monument or real classic(AGR, FW)

Ok AGR might be possible, but is it worth giving up an amazing cyclocross career for AGR? No, not really.

People can hype him in the cobbled classics all they want, but Boonen was how old when he got third in P-R? How old was Cancellara? How old was Haussler and Edvald Boasson Hagen? Breschel?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
every cyclo cross rider had this problem. it took hammond 5 years before he did well in paris roubaix and he wasn't even world class cyclo cross rider. boom is young and has lots of time and posibilitys to increase his engine. he's such a natural talent that I have no doubts he will be able to in the next few years and still dominate cyclo cross whenever he wants to.

Haha, trust in Boom certainly hasn't increased this weekend. Even the good old "return to cyclocross"-argument. Which you'll only hear in Belgium.

Have you forgotten what he has already won on the road? It's only his second season as a classics rider, for crying out loud.

I'm not a huge Boom fan, but I have no doubt that with such a big engine he'll be a factor in the coming years.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
every cyclo cross rider had this problem. it took hammond 5 years before he did well in paris roubaix and he wasn't even world class cyclo cross rider. boom is young and has lots of time and posibilitys to increase his engine. he's such a natural talent that I have no doubts he will be able to in the next few years and still dominate cyclo cross whenever he wants to.

In exactly what season has Lars Boom ever come close to dominate cyclocross?

With the elite of course.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Haha, trust in Boom certainly hasn't increased this weekend. Even the good old "return to cyclocross"-argument. Which you'll only hear in Belgium.

Have you forgotten what he has already won on the road? It's only his second season as a classics rider, for crying out loud.

I'm not a huge Boom fan, but I have no doubt that with such a big engine he'll be a factor in the coming years.

Some small prologues and a Vuelta stage pop to mind. Not exactly mind blowing?

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:

+100
I dont know why, but for me he seems like young Museew.
Its just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS