• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Opinion: After CAS , what will Alberto's penalty be?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What sanction will Alberto receive?

• 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
sweet observations.
qs: After his positive for CB, did Contador ever publicly state that there was nothing wrong with his biological passport? I don't recall. Anyway, if he hasn't publicly stated that, an obvious reason could be that his passport did show suspect values.
thanx sniper...

you bring an important point that i should have (well, i think i have had but in older threads) addressed.

atm i can not address your question directly (with supporting links and references b/c i'm away from my desktop where they reside), but speaking from memory, and putting together some leaked bits, i can say this:

-the publicly available information was contradictory and imo unreliable. i would not draw any serious conclusion from anything contador or his lawyers or the any official have said about the passport quality. however,

-i recall a report when mcquaid was talking to some (danish?) journo and he (probably unintentionally) blabbed an important bit - that contador received a perod to get back to the uci with some explanation about a suspicious result. to my knowledge, there is only one provision in the uci/wada rulebook that allows an athlete to come up with an explanation within 30 days - that is the results management procedure for blood passport abnormal result.

draw your own conclusions but i think even an a suspicious yet inconclusive blood passport can be tossed either way...depending on the panel/jury make up.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
python said:
thanx sniper...

you bring an important point that i should have (well, i think i have had but in older threads) addressed.

atm i can not address your question directly (with supporting links and references b/c i'm away from my desktop where they reside), but speaking from memory, and putting together some leaked bits, i can say this:

-the publicly available information was contradictory and imo unreliable. i would not draw any serious conclusion from anything contador or his lawyers or the any official have said about the passport quality. however,

-i recall a report when mcquaid was talking to some (danish?) journo and he (probably unintentionally) blabbed an important bit - that contador received a perod to get back to the uci with some explanation about a suspicious result. to my knowledge, there is only one provision in the uci/wada rulebook that allows an athlete to come up with an explanation within 30 days - that is the results management procedure for blood passport abnormal result.

draw your own conclusions but i think even an a suspicious yet inconclusive blood passport can be tossed either way...depending on the panel/jury make up.

Interesante.
Also, as somebody already suggested some days ago, any suspect values in AC's passport during those TdF days would also explain him having been targeted for extra Cologne testing.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
Interesante.
Also, as somebody already suggested some days ago, any suspect values in AC's passport during those TdF days would also explain him having been targeted for extra Cologne testing.
again, it's my opinion and take it for it's worth , but the hilited above is an example of how suppositions/assumptions/interpretations, even those drawn from a solid and factual report like the wada observers report, become 'unassailable facts' which they may not be yet . i am not clear yet if contador was targeted because of passport. he might have been but

veganrob said:
Any opinion that AC is registered for Murcia? I am not familiar with the process there.

The game works like this:

1) Albert hasn't been sanctioned yet.

2) He needs to continue on as if he isn't, hasn't been, won't be sanctioned. Astana sat him out but he's on a new team now.

3) Spain will take as long as possible to declare him innocent. This was always destined for CAS but it's just a matter of who was going to bring it to CAS.

4) He races while WADA drags the case to CAS, UCI and Spain take their sweet time, the process slows down.

5) He probably racks up another GT and some other races in the mean time.

6) He ends up suspended but it's so far after the fact that most of the public and probably everyone in Spain thinks it's just a joke. 12 month suspension, with like 4 months lopped off because Astana didn't race him for a that time or something candy like that, served next winter.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
TheMight said:
The game works like this:

1) Albert hasn't been sanctioned yet.

2) He needs to continue on as if he isn't, hasn't been, won't be sanctioned. Astana sat him out but he's on a new team now.

3) Spain will take as long as possible to declare him innocent. This was always destined for CAS but it's just a matter of who was going to bring it to CAS.

4) He races while WADA drags the case to CAS, UCI and Spain take their sweet time, the process slows down.

5) He probably racks up another GT and some other races in the mean time.

6) He ends up suspended but it's so far after the fact that most of the public and probably everyone in Spain thinks it's just a joke. 12 month suspension, with like 4 months lopped off because Astana didn't race him for a that time or something candy like that, served next winter.

I'm not sure. Everybody, including Prudhomme (for what it's worth), have expressed their wish for a quick ruling. So there is some external pressure on the RFEC to bring this farce to an end, but one indeed wonders why the RFEC are taking so long.
Either they are toying with the WADA/UCI (which they'll regret at some stage, cuz Spanish riders are loosing popularity and credibility, if there is any of that left), or the case really is as tricky and complicated as some say it is.

sniper said:
I'm not sure. Everybody, including Prudhomme (for what it's worth), have expressed their wish for a quick ruling. So there is some external pressure on the RFEC to bring this farce to an end, but one indeed wonders why the RFEC are taking so long.
Either they are toying with the WADA/UCI (which they'll regret at some stage, cuz Spanish riders are loosing popularity and credibility, if there is any of that left), or the case really is as tricky and complicated as some say it is.

you need to remember who has trying to keep secret this mess in the first place.
Pat/UCI didn't ask the RFEC to take disciplinary action against him until last month. now- time is a factor that both parties- AC & the RFEC are running out of, since the new season is about to begin-but they're cautious not to give any wrong impression to UCI/CAS/WADA of a quick resolution that wasn't overlooked thoroughly-- so they can drag the case indefinitely ala Val-piti.

The way the whole thing was handled, starting with Pat/UCI seems so suspicious. I think it has everything to do with who it is about , AC. There may be rules and protocol to follow but no one seems to be following it, and NOW it is a very tricky situation.
I still think AC gets off because of the way it has all been mishandled.