Nice one Trentin
I can't tell if these about breaks in the group apply only to breakaway groups or the peloton as well...Did they do that level crossing according to the rules?
2.3.035 The following rules shall apply:
- 1: One or more riders who have broken away from the field are held up at a level crossing but the gates open before the field catches up. No action shall be taken and the closed level crossing shall be considered a mere race incident;
- 2: One or more riders with more than 30 seconds' lead on the field are held up at a level crossing and the rest of the field catches up while the gates are still closed. In this case the race shall be neutralised and restarted with the same gaps, once the official vehicles preceding the race have passed; If the lead is less than 30 seconds, the closed level crossing shall be considered a mere race incident;
- 3: If one or more leading riders make it over the crossing before the gates shut and the remainder of the riders are held up, no action shall be taken and the closed level crossing shall be considered a race incident;
- 4: If a group of riders is split into two groups following the closure of a level crossing, the first group will be slowed down or stopped in order to allow the delayed riders to return to the first group;
- 5: Any other situation (prolonged closure of the barrier, etc.) shall be resolved by the commissaires.
This seemed to combine sections 3 and 4: the break was unaffected, the peloton was split. So it seems that the first half of the peloton should have been held up to wait for the second part, but not that the breakaway should have been delayed.