• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2012 - Stage 8: Nice - Col d'Èze (ITT), 9,6 km

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Really? I checked all the anglo saxon betting sites before the stage and they all had Westra with fractionally smaller odds than Wiggins and there was even a "any one other than Westra or Wiggins" for stage bet at 13 to 1, so they very much did see Westra as a massive threat.

But please do tell me which 1 or 2 quotations you are basing that unfair generalization on?

Everyones been giving Westra loads of respect. Just cos you are upset that he lost to a better rider, don't take it out on everyone.
Forum reactions here and on PCM Daily... plenty of reactions.
Some guy even got angry with me that I dared to think that Westra could threaten Wiggins on a TT.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Still Westra has impressed mightly. Vacon for the Ardennes - Poels, Westra, De Gendt.

Be afraid.

Btw on stage 1 when did Westra start? Did he have bad weather like Wiggins?

De Gendt isn't really a great one day racer ;)

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
big congrats to Westra and Vacansoleil, what a week for them, and glad that he lost the overall by more than 3 sec so his coasting in on the stage he won doesn't mean anything

Ah crap they are showing the world rankings. Showing someone as world number 1 based on 2 races ( where the really weak one is worth the same as the really strong one) is a DISGRACE.

Gilbert is still world number 1

El Pistolero said:
De Gendt isn't really a great one day racer ;)

Neither was Oliver Zaugg.

He can climb, he can tt and he is explosive. I think he could therefore perform.

Dare I say this was the best Paris-Nice in a few years now? Very tense right up the end, and a nice equilibrium between TTs and climbing. Great week by both Wiggins and Westra. Belgians were a bit disappointing in the MTT unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Kudos to Wiggins

CasperVg said:
Dare I say this was the best Paris-Nice in a few years now? Very tense right up the end, and a nice equilibrium between TTs and climbing. Great week by both Wiggins and Westra. Belgians were a bit disappointing in the MTT unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Kudos to Wiggins

Contador completely bonking in Paris-Nice was pretty tense and interesting

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ah crap they are showing the world rankings. Showing someone as world number 1 based on 2 races ( where the really weak one is worth the same as the really strong one) is a DISGRACE.

Gilbert is still world number 1

Neither was Oliver Zaugg.

He can climb, he can tt and he is explosive. I think he could therefore perform.

Lets hope the number 1 will ride like a number 1 in MSR.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
CasperVg said:

Kudos to Wiggins

2009 was the best one in recent memory. But it was better than 2010 and 2011 for sure.

Morbius said:
Did Wiggins win today because he paced his effort better, or because he is simply faster on the flatter section?
Because he had a TT helmet and Q-rings. Westra is too oldfashioned and lost it in the aerodynamic parts.
Wiggins was therefore the best. Period.

Still one of the most exciting Paris Nice finishes in years.

I don't think Wiggins paced better, Westra was equally strong in both parts. He didn't give in time to Peraud etc in the second part.

TRENDING THREADS