• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris Olympics 2024 (non-cycling) thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Caught some of the women's gymnastics qualifiers, apparently Simone Biles had somehow injured her calf prior to the competition, I didn't really hear what had happened. But, she had to land all her routines on a bum leg... she had the most difficult routines with the most point values anyway, so all she needed to do was land halfway okay, she didn't have to stick it perfectly. And she delivered. (I was kinda worried because this gave me Kerri Strug vibes from the '96 Olympics.)

Some of the Italian and Brazilian ladies look very promising, hopefully they'll give the American gals a run for their money. At least for individual event medals I mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Considering it's supposed to be an extreme sport, the surfing is kind of relaxing to watch, not a lot really happens for vast stretches of time and you can just watch some scenery go by and revel in the idyllic backdrop of Tahiti. Olympic skateboarding is still wretched, by contrast, doesn't feel like it's got enough depth of competition to feel like an elite sport, while putting it into a uniform format robs the sport of much of the freedom that gives it its appeal.

Considering it's supposed to be an extreme sport, the surfing is kind of relaxing to watch, not a lot really happens for vast stretches of time and you can just watch some scenery go by and revel in the idyllic backdrop of Tahiti. Olympic skateboarding is still wretched, by contrast, doesn't feel like it's got enough depth of competition to feel like an elite sport, while putting it into a uniform format robs the sport of much of the freedom that gives it its appeal.
Being a surfer or skateboarder has always been more of a lifestyle choice rather than it just being a "sport".

But someone, somewhere, is probably benefitting financially from lobbying these sport to included in the Olympics.

I want to watch swimming final or something thrilling like that, but the only live event they show is rowing. Not that I don't like rowing or appreciating they showing our own guy, but 33rd place decider can't be that important, right? They have lots of other channels but they also mostly show the reruns of the country's athletes playing in early rounds where they are either too weak or too strong for 1st round opponents.

Anyway, was London 2012 the last (or only?) Summer Game to have free live broadcast on Youtube?

Reactions: jmdirt
Considering it's supposed to be an extreme sport, the surfing is kind of relaxing to watch, not a lot really happens for vast stretches of time and you can just watch some scenery go by and revel in the idyllic backdrop of Tahiti.

And then there's this picture:

Brazils-Gabriel-Medina-reacts-after-getting-a-large-wave-in-the-5th-heat-of-the-mens-surfing-Paris-2024-Olympic-Games-073034-8bb4deaf57bb4ba9a90b6016ed179b53.jpg