• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2024, one day monument, April 7

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Winner of PR?

• Total voters
it's very possible. as I was disappointed at Flanders. I'm not a hater. I just hope someone else wins.
its more open in Robauix. Vdp is not that superior to anyone else there like he is in flandern (anyone not named Pogacar which last years proved)

But in Robauix he very well be the best but that gap aint that big as it is in flandern so the room for error goes down so it can happen for sure.

Reactions: pastronef
anyone else getting Barcelona '94 chicane vibes this weekend? (for those who dont know, Barcelona was the first race track they raced on following the deaths of Senna & Ratzenberger at Imola. To slow the cars down, they put in this godawful tyre chicane which ended up causing problems & nor did it prevent serious injuries from happening that weekend)
Not really, I‘d say this is more like Spa 1994, when they had the Eau Rouge chicane.

Tarling's engine is made for Roubaix, I think he is going to do really well if he can stay away from the trouble. Far fewer turns, far less stop-and-go. I remember him doing really well as a first year junior in that soaked edition a few years back.
Indeed logical it seems that way tho hes not ridden Robauix yet so for both its way to early to tell anything certain ofc tho but I think the same could be said about Morgado already he seems made/equiped for hard classics.

He might be better for stop and go and flandern vs robauix for all i know yet still but its gonne be fun to see. Both incredible promising at a very very young age for the classics already all i know. Good times.

anyone else getting Barcelona '94 chicane vibes this weekend? (for those who dont know, Barcelona was the first race track they raced on following the deaths of Senna & Ratzenberger at Imola. To slow the cars down, they put in this godawful tyre chicane which ended up causing problems & nor did it prevent serious injuries from happening that weekend)
The difference is there’s not really any major event that happened prior (Wout’s DDV crash was not relevant), this just came out of nowhere 4 days before the race. I mean sure there’s been mutterings for a long time but it’s been a known and accepted hazard.

Hansen probably feels like a god with the timing of what happened 2 days ago though.

Monaco was the race after - and that had accidents (Wendlinger was in a coma for a while).
Andrea Montermini crashed in Barcelona elsewhere that weekend. So from then on any 'iffy' corners were changed, or had chicanes added; Abbey at Silverstone after Lamy launched his Lotus in testing.....and Estoril in the twisty section at the end of the lap.
I think Montreal added an artificial one on the back straight in 1995.

According to feltet.dk, the wind is going to be a strong breeze (21-27 kph), which will be mainly a tail wind until pavee 24, but from there (around 160K to go) give us a lot of sections with strong cross winds (others again with tail wind).

We could see teams try to steal the march quite early tomorrow - and I for one hope Soudal use their old cross wind expertise to do something early :cool:

(I'm posting this here, even though it was while watching the women's race I had the thought. However, it's kinda "relevant" - in a thought-experience kind of way - for both races.)

What would happen if a group starts their final lap, and just as they're passing the entrance to the velodrome, another group is about to enter?
Chaos?
The second group being asked to wait?

(I'm posting this here, even though it was while watching the women's race I had the thought. However, it's kinda "relevant" - in a thought-experience kind of way - for both races.)

What would happen if a group starts their final lap, and just as they're passing the entrance to the velodrome, another group is about to enter?
Chaos?
This has happened before and AFAIK group 2 will always go slow / low down while group 1 ramps up for the sprint.

It surprised me a bit (but then again not, with the strong Scirocco / Ghibli / Khamsin / whatever winds of today) that everything was very much dried out.

I think rain tonight won't change this much as the wind keeps blowing. The North of France is always a bit more windy and because of the secteurs being mostly in between fields with hardly any trees, the combination of some sun and wind dries the cobbles much faster than e.g. on a sunken road surrounded by trees.

Reactions: Didinho and jmdirt

Chaos?
What do you think?

Bad meme

lfv59pae54sc1.jpeg

Nice interview, thanks. If Mathieu says he did it in recon and still don't like it, I'll do a 180 and say its a bad idea. Loved that he specified that he liked them searching for safer options to approach the Arenberg though. Very balanced interview, no nonsense, no Benji Naesen-statements, just his personal thoughts on the matter..

Nice interview, thanks. If Mathieu says he did it in recon and still don't like it, I'll do a 180 and say its a bad idea. Loved that he specified that he liked them searching for safer options to approach the Arenberg though. Very balanced interview, no nonsense, no Benji Naesen-statements, just his personal thoughts on the matter..
I probably posted too many videos, but those of us in the USA still don't get as much insider info as we'd like. There are several other good interviews from Cycling Pro Net on YouTube as well.

EDIT: Maybe I should just speak for myself: I don't get as much insider information as I'd like.

Last edited: