• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2024, one day monument, April 7

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Winner of PR?

• Total voters
What's so bad about slightly damp?

Also, the wind is giga tailwind according to the Feltet guy, so it could be a very selective race. Not the most Philipsen friendly I'd reckon.
Slightly damp means no mud, nor any dust, and many more options to avoid cobbles, big factors that when present(IMHO) contribute greatly to making the race more selective. I may be exaggerating a little but when it's like this it's much closer to being just another hard road race albeit one containing some really bad roads.

As far as Philipsen goes, I think these are the absolute most Philipsen-friendly conditions imaginable, and he's my pick as favorite to win. He's shown last year he has the engine for this race, more than strong enough to be there again in the finale this year. Additionally, MVDP has already shown at MSR he's willing to work for Jasper if Jasper is there at the end and has the legs. Barring disaster these two are going to be very formidable indeed today and for me hard to see past one or the other of them winning.

As usual, I could be completely wrong of course. ;-)

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Slightly damp means no mud, nor any dust, and many more options to avoid cobbles, big factors that when present(IMHO) contribute greatly to making the race more selective. I may be exaggerating a little but when it's like this it's much closer to being just another hard road race albeit one containing some really bad roads.

As far as Philipsen goes, I think these are the absolute most Philipsen-friendly conditions imaginable, and he's my pick as favorite to win. He's shown last year he has the engine for this race, more than strong enough to be there again in the finale this year. Additionally, MVDP has already shown at MSR he's willing to work for Jasper if Jasper is there at the end and has the legs. Barring disaster these two are going to be very formidable indeed today and for me hard to see past one or the other of them winning.

As usual, I could be completely wrong of course. ;-)
Think last year was perfect for them... and Van Aert had bad luck, puncturing twice. Degenkolb crashed. Pedersen also had mechanicals.

Jasper had to change his bike once, but other than that they had a perfect race with few problems.

Big favorites but a lot can happen. I would like to believe so and that it will be an entertaining race, no matter who wins.

The main scenarios for today:

Van der Poel is stronger than anyone else, forces a selection and either wins solo or in a very reduced sprint against slower riders.

Van der Poel crashes or is not strong enough to drop his rivals, Philipsen is there and Van der Poel works for his teammate to win once again (someone like Pedersen can outsprint Philipsen but its unlikely)

An outsider like Küng, Politt or even Tarling attacks likely close to the finish and is able to stay solo (easy to do if teams like Alpecin or Trek only have one rider left).

As for possible surprises, besides Tarling that I have already mentioned, I am thinking about sprinters like Milan or even Merlier and I will be curious to see what Pidcock does as I don't really think this is a good race for him.

Think last year was perfect for them... and Van Aert had bad luck, puncturing twice. Degenkolb crashed. Pedersen also had mechanicals.

Jasper had to change his bike once, but other than that they had a perfect race with few problems.

Big favorites but a lot can happen. I would like to believe so and that it will be an entertaining race, no matter who wins.
You and I both! :)

I am speaking this year just of the conditions; no question last year they had the dice roll their way as well.

Reactions: Salvarani
Good Roubaix, everyone.

What a shame that Van Baarle won't start. My picks for today will then have to be Bettiol and Rex. The big beasts Tarling and Milan will also be interesting to follow.
I share your interest in following Tarling and Milan today; either one or both of them seem capable of a really big day out today. That's just another of the many things I love about Roubaix; seemingly more than any other race it's the stories that play out within the race, victory or disaster alike, that are as interesting to me as who actually wins.

I'll have to listen to dumb and dumber, for the rest of this race. Ugh...
Seriously, you and I both on this one. I can't stand these two; reminds me WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much of the bad old days when they had their noses so far up 'someone who's ass shall not be named' they couldn't see straight. Going to hang with the Tiz feed for as long as it works today instead; D and D are a last resort.

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense