• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Patellar Tendonitis

Apr 4, 2009
10
0
0
Visit site
groan, i have chronic PT in my left knee. i've had a proper bike fit and he certainly changed things up, but although the pain is reduced it's still there after longer rides or the second half of the week of commuting. my chiro gave me a specific massage and icing program nightly (oops, forgot tonight) and i have nearly finished 2 weeks off the bike. BUT, if this doesn't work, what can I do? i usually do around 200km per week so nothing major.
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,442
0
0
Visit site
Bishfactor said:
groan, i have chronic PT in my left knee. i've had a proper bike fit and he certainly changed things up, but although the pain is reduced it's still there after longer rides or the second half of the week of commuting. my chiro gave me a specific massage and icing program nightly (oops, forgot tonight) and i have nearly finished 2 weeks off the bike. BUT, if this doesn't work, what can I do? i usually do around 200km per week so nothing major.

I feel for you. Running, and I used to love trail running, is no longer an option for me because of patellar tendinitis that flares up every time I look at my running shoes. I have had no issues on the bike though. After my initial bout of tendinitis, including 6 weeks in physiotherapy, stretches and rest, I can do everything but running without soreness. My suggestions: more rest, see a physiotherapist to get specific stretch exercises (as well as tendon-specific treatments like therapeutic ultrasound etc), and if none of this works try a new fitting. Best of luck.
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
elapid said:
I feel for you. Running, and I used to love trail running, is no longer an option for me because of patellar tendinitis that flares up every time I look at my running shoes. I have had no issues on the bike though. After my initial bout of tendinitis, including 6 weeks in physiotherapy, stretches and rest, I can do everything but running without soreness. My suggestions: more rest, see a physiotherapist to get specific stretch exercises (as well as tendon-specific treatments like therapeutic ultrasound etc), and if none of this works try a new fitting. Best of luck.

Also check other parts of the old body. Shoulder injuries frequently translate into an alteration in your position as you get tired. Rotation of hips that comes with that will change everything and cause problems; even in lighter gears. Also had one rider that had an arterial constriction at his upper hamstring/glut from years of being "over aero", courtesy of USA Cycling coaches. They had him so pinched and high-centered his artery on one leg was collapsed and a new branch-system of mini-arteries developed to compensate. He would never have looked for it if his knee hadn't hurt from the compensation.
 
Jun 9, 2009
403
0
0
Visit site
Patellar tendonitis is often the result of over-contracture of the quadriceps muscles. With my patients, I employ a program of PNF stretching (Google it) for the quads and hip flexors (since the rectus femoris is a two-joint muscle). I have had tremendous success with this protocol. Have your training partner or room-mate help you with the stretch in the presence of your chiro so you will be able to do it very often (4-5 times per day is about right).

This all means nothing if you are not positioned properly on your bike. Seek out the best fitter in your area and make an appointment.

It is also important to train for efficiency in pedaling. aberant msucle recruitment patterns are predisposing factors for knee discomfort. Riding the rollers with a high RPM is a good way to balance your muscles.

In the mean time, avoid the big ring, take some short easy spin rides, avoid the training weights for quad strength for a few weeks, and stretch.

Supplementing with a multi-vitamin, magnesium, and fish oil are nutritional considerations every athlete (and human) should consider.
 
Oldman said:
Also check other parts of the old body. Shoulder injuries frequently translate into an alteration in your position as you get tired. Rotation of hips that comes with that will change everything and cause problems; even in lighter gears. Also had one rider that had an arterial constriction at his upper hamstring/glut from years of being "over aero", courtesy of USA Cycling coaches. They had him so pinched and high-centered his artery on one leg was collapsed and a new branch-system of mini-arteries developed to compensate. He would never have looked for it if his knee hadn't hurt from the compensation.

thanks for that post.i had never thought about the shoulder injury being a precursor for other issues. it makes total sense, though.
 
Jun 16, 2009
860
0
0
Visit site
Bishfactor said:
groan, i have chronic PT in my left knee. i've had a proper bike fit and he certainly changed things up, but although the pain is reduced it's still there after longer rides or the second half of the week of commuting. my chiro gave me a specific massage and icing program nightly (oops, forgot tonight) and i have nearly finished 2 weeks off the bike. BUT, if this doesn't work, what can I do? i usually do around 200km per week so nothing major.

Maybe u should get a second opinion. I had what was thought to be a classic case of IT band syndrome with a nice dose of tendinitis thrown in as well.
Then one day i could barely move my leg. When they did an MRI i had completely shredded my meniscus into seven pieces and a couple had wedged into the knee where it kept it from flexing. and a cyst was found
but the biggie was on the xray. part of the knee joint had been broken off.
It made no sense, they still dont know how it happened.

Get a 2nd opinion just in case
 
Apr 4, 2009
10
0
0
Visit site
thanks guys

some very thorough and helpful replies in here. i have been riding the small ring today after 1.5 weeks off the bike, and have done daily massage and icing on the PT area, but still a reaction to my (slow) ride this morning. need more rest plus off to the chiro again on friday and will ask him who i can speak to further. very frustrating and i am worried i may not be able to ride any more. :eek:
 
Jun 16, 2009
860
0
0
Visit site
Bishfactor said:
some very thorough and helpful replies in here. i have been riding the small ring today after 1.5 weeks off the bike, and have done daily massage and icing on the PT area, but still a reaction to my (slow) ride this morning. need more rest plus off to the chiro again on friday and will ask him who i can speak to further. very frustrating and i am worried i may not be able to ride any more. :eek:

I am no doctor but maybe it is a partial tear of the patella tendon, that is one reason i say anothr opinion is warranted.