• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paul Kimmage

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Bob Roll, another 7-elevener who's never had to answer for his doping.
I kind of like him, though. At least hes no Maserati poche.
In that podcast (the one kimmage responds to) he basically admits to his own doping saying something along the lines of "we've all faced the temptation".

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage
Rick Delaney, the owner of the new Irish pro cycling team, seems exactly what the sport doesn't need right now...another **** idiot.

https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/797075162759831552
thanks for pointing that out. interesting.

I have just become an AquaBlue fan
why? The guy was objecively talking buckets of ***.
He almost literally suggested journalists should aspire to be fanboys with typewriters and nothing more.
He's a *** idiot and Kimmage called it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Your personal dislike of Kimmage is certainly fair enough, but Kimmage was still right about the Irish guy.
The job of journos is to get to the bottom of things. The irish guy suggested otherwise. Those were the words of a ***, a *** idiot, and Kimmage called him out on it.

Bruyneel's reaction here is a bit rich.

Re:

sniper said:
Your personal dislike of Kimmage is certainly fair enough, but Kimmage was still right about the Irish guy.
The job of journos is to get to the bottom of things. The irish guy suggested otherwise. Those were the words of a *, a **** idiot, and Kimmage called him out on it.

It´s not a personal dislike, it´s just he calls names a bit too easy. Delaney´s team still hasnt begun racing and he alredy calls names, for an answer in an interview. maybe he does not even know Delaney.
though, I can understand that after all he´s been through after he stopped racing, his nerves are a bit sensitive. fair. but free insults are not the way

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
sniper said:
The job of journos is to get to the bottom of things. The irish guy suggested otherwise. Those were the words of a *, a **** idiot, and Kimmage called him out on it.

It´s not a personal dislike, it´s just he calls names a bit too easy. Delaney´s team still hasnt begun racing and he alredy calls names, for an answer in an interview. maybe he does not even know Delaney.
though, I can understand that after all he´s been through after he stopped racing, his nerves are a bit sensitive. fair. but free insults are not the way
i like that about kimmage.
as benotti said earlier, he's like a bull in a china store sometimes. :D
but fair enough, you have a point.

I assume you heard that kimmage immitation on irish radio?
love him or hate him, that was funny:
http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/The_Ian_Dempsey_Breakfast_Show/The_Ian_Dempsey_Breakfast_Show/62381/2/Gift_Liveline_Paul_Kimmage

sniper said:
pastronef said:
sniper said:

http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/The_Ian_Dempsey_Breakfast_Show/The_Ian_Dempsey_Breakfast_Show/62381/2/Gift_Liveline_Paul_Kimmage

I dont know his real voice, never listened to him, so I don´t know how much funny can it be for me :p

sniper said:
pastronef said:
sniper said:

Why Sky kicked him out apparently, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

MatParker117 said:
Why Sky kicked him out apparently, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
If Sky are doping Kimmage would definitely rub them the wrong way.
If I were a doping procyclist I'd steer clear of Kimmage.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Off The Ball on Newstalk FM

A conversation with Kimmage talking about 1987 Tour.

7.40pm BST time tonight.

podcast

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Highlights_from_Off_The_Ball/197952/The_1987_Tour_de_France_Special_with_Paul_Kimmage

Interesting interview. I didn't have the time to make it all the way through, but I hope the host at some point asked 'why not?' Why not do the droogs?
He was happy to take anything other than what would make his life easier in a three--week bike race, but he stubbornly held out.
Why?
Another thing that stood out is he refuses to equate someone like Roche with Pharmstrong. Not that he was asked, but he did not take the opportunity to say yeah, Roche was a doper like Lance.
Not that anyone needs clarification, but it sorta strikes me as odd that he focuses so much on Pharmstrong when he knows very well that his idols were doing the same.

the delgados said:
He was happy to take anything other than what would make his life easier in a three--week bike race, but he stubbornly held out.
Why?
There's this strange thing called ethics, morals.
the delgados said:
it sorta strikes me as odd that he focuses so much on Pharmstrong when he knows very well that his idols were doing the same.
Have you heard his comments in recent years about Kelly? Have you heard his comments in recent years about Roche? Yes, they were idols, back then, when it was all new, but the idolising didn't last and he's never made any secret of that.

fmk_RoI said:
the delgados said:
Why?
There's this strange thing called ethics, morals.
the delgados said:
it sorta strikes me as odd that he focuses so much on Pharmstrong when he knows very well that his idols were doing the same.
Have you heard his comments in recent years about Kelly? Have you heard his comments in recent years about Roche? Yes, they were idols, back then, when it was all new, but the idolising didn't last and he's never made any secret of that.

re Ethics, morals. Yeah, that was a silly thing to say on my part. I was thinking out loud, wondering why a rider as good as Kimmage wouldn't dip his hands in the candy jar. I'd do so in a heartbeat. After all, it's just a bike race.

re Kelly, Roche: I'm sensing you're asking a rhetorical question, but truth be told, I have not heard what he says about Roche and Kelly. I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume neither are on Kimmage's x-mas card list.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

the delgados said:
re Ethics, morals. Yeah, that was a silly thing to say on my part. I was thinking out loud, wondering why a rider as good as Kimmage wouldn't dip his hands in the candy jar. I'd do so in a heartbeat. After all, it's just a bike race.
it wasn't silly.
Didn't Kimmage know that most of his competitors were doped?
'Play by the rules'-style ethics tend to play a role in environments where cheating is *not* the norm.
In pro-sport, however, cheating *is* the norm, and so being ethical does not equal 'playing by the rules'.
Maybe I'm wrong and he did have a moral compass that prompted him to stay away from the sauce.
Or maybe Kimmage simply feared getting caught?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
That's not to take anything away from Kimmage, by the way.
As far as I can tell (and FWIW) he is one of the most integer personalities in the game.
It's merely that I don't believe that at the pro-level of any sport, ethics play any kind of role of significance when it comes to taking PEDs yes/no.

Re:

sniper said:
As far as I can tell (and FWIW) he is one of the most integer personalities in the game.
It's merely that I don't believe that at the pro-level of any sport, ethics play any kind of role of significance when it comes to taking PEDs yes/no.

Admittedly, I had to look up the word "integer" but i think that's a great way to describe Paul Kimmage.
Also, I agree with everything you said regarding the role morals and ethics play in professional sports.
As an aspiring young rider from a non-cycling nation, I remember feeling mixed emotions when Rough Ride was published. Part of me felt disillusioned, while another part kept saying, "get on with it, you poor bastard."
The guy obviously had talent, and it was bloody obvious a pill or two would have taken him to another level in a sport that was designed to make most everyone fail.

the delgados said:
re Kelly, Roche: I'm sensing you're asking a rhetorical question, but truth be told, I have not heard what he says about Roche and Kelly. I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume neither are on Kimmage's x-mas card list.
To paraphrase then, are you saying that you were talking out of your saddle/body interface?

fmk_RoI said:
the delgados said:
To paraphrase then, are you saying that you were talking out of your saddle/body interface?

Yeah, sure. I was talking out my saddle/body interface. whatever.
Look man, I'm not here to pick tedious internet fights, so don't even bother.
I've read a lot of your contributions on this forum, and you have interesting things to say.
You also have a tendency to get in others grill for no reason other than to start fights. That's boring.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

the delgados said:
sniper said:

Admittedly, I had to look up the word "integer" but i think that's a great way to describe Paul Kimmage.
Also, I agree with everything you said regarding the role morals and ethics play in professional sports.
As an aspiring young rider from a non-cycling nation, I remember feeling mixed emotions when Rough Ride was published. Part of me felt disillusioned, while another part kept saying, "get on with it, you poor bastard."
The guy obviously had talent, and it was bloody obvious a pill or two would have taken him to another level in a sport that was designed to make most everyone fail.
cheers delgados.

The adjective integer is fairly common in Dutch in reference to someone who has integrity.
Maybe a native speaker can tell us if we can use it like this in English?

sniper said:
The adjective integer is fairly common in Dutch in reference to someone who has integrity.
Maybe a native speaker can tell us if we can use it like this in English?

I’ve never heard it used as an adjective in modern English (though I believe it was in earlier times). The adjective is integral, but it has a different meaning from the one usually implied by integrity—it refers to wholeness in a group sense rather than in an individual sense. Thus one might have argued (or argued against) that Cardoso was an integral part of T-S, but one would be referring to his importance as a domestique, not that he was honest and wouldn’t take PEDs. His presence on the team made it whole, not that he himself was a whole or complete person. For the latter, we say he is a man “of integrity”, rather than he is integral or integer.

TRENDING THREADS