• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
The most impressive thing about him is his ability to make the decisive move where he almost always ends up contesting for the win.

He may not have turned those moves into wins as often as he'd like, but it's pretty incredible.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've got to admit, Sagan is becoming an even better world champ than Tom Boonen in 2006. A lot less wins, but the season ain't over yet, and Boonen failed to win a stage in the Tour in 2006 (but he did wear the yellow jersey).

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
I've got to admit, Sagan is becoming an even better world champ than Tom Boonen in 2006. A lot less wins, but the season ain't over yet, and Boonen failed to win a stage in the Tour in 2006 (but he did wear the yellow jersey).
Well, Tom got pretty much all of his 2006 wins from Qatar, Eneco tour and tour of Belgium. Right?

Peter almost won tirreno, won stages at Suisse, California, 2 tour stages + possible green, and there's (possibly a lot to come).

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:
Well, Tom got pretty much all of his 2006 wins from Qatar, Eneco tour and tour of Belgium. Right?

Peter almost won tirreno, won stages at Suisse, California, 2 tour stages + possible green, and there's (possibly a lot to come).
And Vlaanderen, of course.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:

Boonen won the Ronde van Vlaanderen, E3 Prijs Harelbeke, Scheldeprijs (and that year's edition was actually exciting), was second in Roubaix, won 3 stages in Paris-Nice, won a stage in the Tour de Suisse and wore yellow in the Tour. Almost winning sadly doesn't count. :p Oh and he was third in Milan-San Remo, his team-mate Pippo won.

CheckMyPecs said:
MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:

And Vlaanderen, of course.

Both won the Ronde as world champ. Boonen had it easier. How easily he went over the Koppenberg. I'll never forget

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:

Boonen won the Ronde van Vlaanderen, E3 Prijs Harelbeke, Scheldeprijs (and that year's edition was actually exciting), was second in Roubaix, won 3 stages in Paris-Nice, won a stage in the Tour de Suisse and wore yellow in the Tour. Almost winning sadly doesn't count. :p Oh and he was third in Milan-San Remo, his team-mate Pippo won.

If almost winning doesn't count then don't list his second at PR and third at MSR? What's the logic behind this?

Sagan won GW, RVV, 2 stages at California, 2 Stages at suisse, 2 stages at the Tour. So, at this point, ignoring what Sagan will most likely still accomplish (at least green jersey) he already had a better year than Tom.

Also, even with second places, he had a better year too.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:
MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:

If almost winning doesn't count then don't list his second at PR and third at MSR? What's the logic behind this?

Sagan won GW, RVV, 2 stages at California, 2 Stages at suisse, 2 stages at the Tour. So, at this point, ignoring what Sagan will most likely still accomplish (at least green jersey) he already had a better year than Tom.

I never said Boonen almost won M-SR or Roubaix, I just said he got second and third in them. Boonen won 3 stages in Paris-Nice, one stage in Tour de Suisse, 3 stages in the Eneco Tour, two stages in Tour of Belgium, 4 stages in the Tour of Qatar and the overall GC, etc.

E3 Harelbeke = Gent-Wevelgem
Ronde van Vlaanderen = Ronde van Vlaanderen
Third in Milan San Remo > Sagan couldn't sprint because of a crash in Milan-San Remo
Second in Roubaix > being outfoxed by the very same Boonen in Roubaix ;)
Boonen won 7 stages in one-week WT stage races, Sagan won 2.

So all Sagan has that is clearly better than Boonen's 2006 is his two Tour stages. Which is why I said he's becoming a better world champ than Boonen in 2006. Don't get your panties in a knot.

El Pistolero said:
MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:
MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:

I never said Boonen almost won M-SR or Roubaix, I just said he got second and third in them. Boonen won 3 stages in Paris-Nice, one stage in Tour de Suisse, 3 stages in the Eneco Tour, two stages in Tour of Belgium, 4 stages in the Tour of Qatar and the overall GC, etc.

E3 Harelbeke = Gent-Wevelgem
Ronde van Vlaanderen = Ronde van Vlaanderen
Third in Milan San Remo > Sagan couldn't sprint because of a crash in Milan-San Remo
Second in Roubaix > being outfoxed by the very same Boonen in Roubaix ;)
Boonen won 7 stages in one-week WT stage races, Sagan won 2.

So all Sagan has that is clearly better than Boonen's 2006 is his two Tour stages. Which is why I said he's becoming a better world champ than Boonen in 2006. Don't get your panties in a knot.

Tom didn't get on the MSR podium in 2006. Still on of the better World Champs in the jersey of recent memory though. Sagan, like you said, still has the edge though.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Great ride by the four of them. Sagan looked a bit bemused during his interview and seemed to get a kick out of what just happened as if he could not believe it.
Well it will take some time until something similar happens again. When was the last time you saw such as champions ripping the peloton to pieces in last 10 kms and coming 1-2 in a stage dedicated to sprinters? Wow, they've fooled whole armada of sprinter teams.

Martin said:
movingtarget said:
Great ride by the four of them. Sagan looked a bit bemused during his interview and seemed to get a kick out of what just happened as if he could not believe it.
Well it will take some time until something similar happens again. When was the last time you saw such as champions ripping the peloton to pieces in last 10 kms and coming 1-2 in a stage dedicated to sprinters? Wow, they've fooled whole armada of sprinter teams.

Yes very entertaining finale to the stage.

TRENDING THREADS