• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
True, and Valverde probably has more possibilities to score many points in the remainder of the season. But Sagan can also get somewhere between some and a lot of points in California, Suisse, TdF, Binckbank Tour and the Canadian races. His problem is that of these races, it's only the Canadian and Binckbank he can win outright.

If Valverde podiums the Tour and Vuelta, Suisse, the Ardennes double, CSS and Lombardia, he will be unstoppable.

Don't forget the Worlds where he's likely to podium even if he doesn't actually win it. The other thing is Valverde will go after stage points in races as well. He's the one GC rider that is know for points hunting during races. Top 10 at least in Grand Tours give WT points and it's highly likely that he'll be in the top 10 GC of both the Tour and Vuelta along with a a good chance of a podium in at least 1 of the two.

The Worlds are not on the WorldTour.

If Valverde wins the Ardennes double that's 900 points. It's also very possible he can finish higher at Amstel than Sagan depending on how the race plays out. It is highly unlikely Sagan leaves Amstel with 900 or more point lead over Valverde. It much more likely that Valverde wins both Fleche Wallone and Liege. If that is what happens Valverde has the points lead at the end of the Ardennes.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
True, and Valverde probably has more possibilities to score many points in the remainder of the season. But Sagan can also get somewhere between some and a lot of points in California, Suisse, TdF, Binckbank Tour and the Canadian races. His problem is that of these races, it's only the Canadian and Binckbank he can win outright.

If Valverde podiums the Tour and Vuelta, Suisse, the Ardennes double, CSS and Lombardia, he will be unstoppable.

Don't forget the Worlds where he's likely to podium even if he doesn't actually win it. The other thing is Valverde will go after stage points in races as well. He's the one GC rider that is know for points hunting during races. Top 10 at least in Grand Tours give WT points and it's highly likely that he'll be in the top 10 GC of both the Tour and Vuelta along with a a good chance of a podium in at least 1 of the two.

The Worlds are not on the WorldTour.

For some reason I thought there were WT points for the Worlds.

Re:

Blanco said:
If Valverde stays healthy all season, Sagan won't win World Tour.

Oh, and I do think he really cares about this race, cause he prolonged his spring season specially for it. I don't think that's because he wants to help his teammates.
Technically he doesn't prolongs it. This year his spring season began later and ends later. His coach said they planned to peak at Paris-Roubaix so he is probably still in a decent shape.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Jancouver said:
El Pistolero said:
This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.

Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...

Yes they do. Watch Il Lombardia from the past few years. There have been many cases where riders targeted minor placings rather than the win. I don't think Sagan is the type of rider who cares for it, though.

tobydawq said:
Jancouver said:
El Pistolero said:

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.

Except that the riders do when they are in contention in the latter part of the season (not enough to go the Guangxi race, granted).

Except for Valverde who is very proud of his 4 WT points title. (Well two under the old Pro Tour and 2 under the current World Tour). He actually does chase it, hence the reason some riders have made comments in the past about the fact that he points hunts at different times.

Now it wouldn't shock me if Sagan doesn't care that much.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

tobydawq said:
Jancouver said:
El Pistolero said:

Except that the riders do when they are in contention in the latter part of the season (not enough to go the Guangxi race, granted).

Used to be when the teams/riders needed the points for the WT license. Now there’s no competition for the license so maybe the top two guys care a little but IMO Sagan doesn’t give a damn.

Durden93 said:
Leinster said:
Jancouver said:
What are the chances of Sagan riding Liege next week?

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.
Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.

I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.
I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.

Leinster said:
Durden93 said:
Leinster said:
Jancouver said:

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.
Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.

I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.
I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.
I think he needs to be closer to 10kg lighter to contest LBL.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Koronin said:
Leinster said:
Durden93 said:
Leinster said:
Jancouver said:

Matthews was fourth last year, Sagan is better than Matthews in just about everything. With how passive LBL is ridden nowadays Sagan would win 7 times in a row.

El Pistolero said:
Koronin said:
Leinster said:
Leinster said:
Jancouver said:

Matthews was fourth last year, Sagan is better than Matthews in just about everything. With how passive LBL is ridden nowadays Sagan would win 7 times in a row.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS