• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 161 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Jancouver said:
King Boonen said:
I'm pretty sure Sagan is the 2nd non-Belgian to do it:

Sagan - SVK
Boonen - BEL
Vanderaerden - BEL
Godefroot - BEL
Merckx - BEL
Van Looy - BEL
Forestier - FRA

Thanks!

I knew about Merckx, but for some reason, I forgot about Boonen.

How could you? :eek:

I know!

I have to add a little note to my Boonen's jersey:

"The best classic rider. Also WC and Green jersey winner." :D

I will write it here cause this would be lost in pre Tour GC talk thread. This year Swiss points competition was really dramatic. Sagan and Bling with tied result and two points ahead Gaviria until his DNS. Could be best green yersey competition in years. Gav will be mighty oponnent especially if he will win few flat stages he will be tough to beat. He is pretty good im the hilly terrain. Bling will be struglle to get serious placings in bunch sprints ( more than Sagan) but could give run for Sagan's money in the mountains. Can't wait.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Keram said:
According to slovak media Sagan should go to EC RR and Vuelta. I am curious if he will finish it this time. Also his form at EC RR is questionable.
He is very unlikely to defend WCRR jersey, so going for the European one makes it worth a try, if out of pure respect.
His team title sponsor is primarily a European brand too.

I think he limited/skipped Vuelta due to WCRR or Olympics preparation during last years. That will definitely not be the case this year. And Sagan being Sagan, he can probably win a stage or two and definitely can stack up some points for UCI ranking even on a bad form.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Just to note, Sagan won Slovak national road race so he will wear Slovak champion jersey during next season. Juraj was seconds and Kolar third. It was last race for Kolar, who retired after this race.

Sagan again showed his power and was paying with the field (Czech and Slovak national championship together) and in fact spent majority race in breakaway.

Scarponi said:
Winning a flat sprinters stage is a huge tick for the green jersey

Yup, especially when it will be difficult for one sprinter to win multiple stages I think, with the field being so strong

Sagan being so consistent always being up there almost never missing the top 5 in finish and also being able to win other type of stages might be the advantage needed

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
It is worth noting how strong his team seemed today. Sagan doesn’t bother with lead outs or a train, but even so it’s very useful to have this kind of support. They helped pull on the front, strung it out in the approach and then pulled the post crash lead group.

Yes its interesting as it is a clearly visible plan that he likes them keeping the race hard and fast in the final 5 kms but never bothers with more than one man as a direct lead out, often you will see his man on the front with Sagan 4th or 5th wheel picking the man he wants to line up his sprint from.

Barring incident the Green jersey competition looks wrapped up already as he looks set to be almost level at worst at rest day 1 and my view is than a purer sprinter with aspirations for the green jersey would need to be 60-80 points ahead minimum at that point to really push Sagan.

That was a good post-race interview he did: positive (easier when you’ve won) and also with some specific details about the race (“the finish was harder than I thought it would be”) and sharing that his Dad and a hometown friend were there at the finish today.

TRENDING THREADS