• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 198 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Negotiations between Sagan and Bora about an extension of the contract are ongoing and a decision is to be found already in April, Denk said:

"We are currently in talks with Peter. The outcome is open. We have announced new time windows, there should be a decision in April. I am currently having a hard time recognizing a tendency," confirmed Denk, trying to keep the result completely open allow. "We are very grateful for what Sagan has done for us. The sponsors have received a lot of attention through his person," he continued, only to add a "but": "But he is entering the autumn of his career. And he's one of the best paid professionals in the peloton. We just have to weigh up: Do we still want to afford it? Or is it better to invest the money in the youth? "
[...]
"If Peter doesn't stay with us, I have a lot of money available. My sponsors trust me that I can put together the best possible team with the money they give us " he added.

Negotiations between Sagan and Bora about an extension of the contract are ongoing and a decision is to be found already in April, Denk said:

"We are currently in talks with Peter. The outcome is open. We have announced new time windows, there should be a decision in April. I am currently having a hard time recognizing a tendency," confirmed Denk, trying to keep the result completely open allow. "We are very grateful for what Sagan has done for us. The sponsors have received a lot of attention through his person," he continued, only to add a "but": "But he is entering the autumn of his career. And he's one of the best paid professionals in the peloton. We just have to weigh up: Do we still want to afford it? Or is it better to invest the money in the youth? "
[...]
"If Peter doesn't stay with us, I have a lot of money available. My sponsors trust me that I can put together the best possible team with the money they give us " he added.

time to win that coming "De Ronde" to show him what autumn of a carreer means in classics

time to win that coming "De Ronde" to show him what autumn of a carreer means in classics
From Sagan's current age, Johan Museeuw (for example) added 1 Worlds, 1 Nationals, 1 Ronde, 3 Roubaix, 2x Omloop, 1 E3, and a couple of stage races to his palmares. At the same age, Duclos was still 7 years shy of the first of his 2 Roubaix.

Sagan maybe isn't best placed to compete for speed with the new generation of sprinters (and maybe doesn't climb as well with the puncheurs any more to get a leg up on the fast men for a green jersey) but a) he's set a green jersey mark that is unlikely to be touched for a long time, and b) there's no reason to suspect he can't still win some other big prizes. Especially now that Bora actually seems to be a strong enough team to give him some support in the later stages of a race. Schachmann finished in the front group on ST with him at MSR, which is something I don't recall seeing from a Sagan teammate since, ummm, ever?

He should definitely leave, if this is the team opinion. I would really like to see him in DQS or Movistar, for various reasons.
In DQS cause he would win bunch of races with them, and in Movi because he would force old man Valverde to ride another season, and what a joy to watch it would be to see them ride together...

I expect Ineos will go all in for him. Van Baarle, Pidcock, Hayter, even Narvaez could still all become very good cobbles riders, but this is a dead part of the season for them since Stannard started to wane.

TDF has been their sole focus until now, and that looks out of their reach for the foreseeable future. So a shift of emphasis for a couple of years might be the sensible choice

Reactions: hayneplane
I expect Ineos will go all in for him. Van Baarle, Pidcock, Hayter, even Narvaez could still all become very good cobbles riders, but this is a dead part of the season for them since Stannard started to wane.

TDF has been their sole focus until now, and that looks out of their reach for the foreseeable future. So a shift of emphasis for a couple of years might be the sensible choice
They have won 7 of the last 9 Tours, have 2 of the last 3 Tour winners and Giro winners and last year's Vuelta runner up on the books, and just went 1-2-3 at the first properly hilly stage race of the season. They won the Giro last year with a guy who'd never won a stage race for grownups before. I think it's very premature to write them off as a Grand Tour force.

I think, specialized won't sagan let go, so that would mean any team he ends up in will change the bike sponsor. I am not sure Pinarello/Ineos will want to accept it. UAE on the other hand is another story. Strickly speaking about bike sponsors, I the wolfpack would probably make most sense, however I am not sure if that ship has not sailed loooong away because of Peter and Patrick being so heavily headed :D Also, big names tend to leave from Quickstep due to money, not vice versa. It's hard to imagine they would somehow find the money for Sagan.
Wherever he goes, if he takes Oss with himself, he'll be just fine.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
One has always assumed he is a Specialized rider; he'll stay with them as long as they both want it.....
Well not always, he started as a Cannondale guy. He became specialized only after the Tinkoff part of his life. However, since then, Specialized became more than fond of him. Sagan is definitely more importanto to specialized than is specialized important to Sagan. Imho for Sagan it's just only the money for being their brand ambassador. He can do stunts on whatever bike they will place him, be it specialized, cannondale and anything else.

They have won 7 of the last 9 Tours, have 2 of the last 3 Tour winners and Giro winners and last year's Vuelta runner up on the books, and just went 1-2-3 at the first properly hilly stage race of the season. They won the Giro last year with a guy who'd never won a stage race for grownups before. I think it's very premature to write them off as a Grand Tour force.

I didn't say they weren't a good GT team. I said that their main, possibly only real focus has been winning the TDF. And that looks beyond them for a while if Pogacar is riding for someone else. So while they wait for Pidcock to develop, perhaps they might shift focus a little. Mostly wishful thinking on my part I suspect, as I think it would be interesting to see Sagan there

My $0.01 worth: I prefer quiet negotiations, not shoulder punches via the media. If Dink doesn't think PS is worth the money then just find his next star, and let someone else sign PS. IMO, he is one of the riders who is worth more than his wins (of which he has plenty). I agree with those who think that if he moves, he will either go to a Specialized team, or his new team will become a Specialized team. Him moving back to Cannondale would be a big media blitz for Cdale though.

L3GEION IS A SPECIALIZED TEAM!

Wow, "out of reach" seems strong for a team with 2 Tour winners on the roster. I'll grant you I don't think Thomas will win again, but that seems a bit strong.

But to your point, Sagan would be a great add to the team, and maybe make them even mildly sympathetic, or dare I saw watchable going forward.

My $0.01 worth: I prefer quiet negotiations, not shoulder punches via the media. If Dink doesn't think PS is worth the money then just find his next star, and let someone else sign PS. IMO, he is one of the riders who is worth more than his wins (of which he has plenty). I agree with those who think that if he moves, he will either go to a Specialized team, or his new team will become a Specialized team. Him moving back to Cannondale would be a big media blitz for Cdale though.

Didn't Oleg say something similar right before he won De Ronde?

No, that was in the spring of 2015 where he was pretty bad. Then in California, everything changed.
Well, pretty bad for his measures, yes. But some would make a deal with the devil to have a spring like that. Yup, he did not win any spring classics, but he was still there and in E3 he created the winning move as usually. He just somehow couldnt last to the finish line that year probably due to "overtraining".

It’s pretty weird that Denk apparently mouthed off in the media. Bora usually are good at keeping internal stuff internal. Even when they were having a quite bitter falling out with Sam Bennett over a whole season, and journalists were trying to get quotes about it all the time, both management and rider actually said very little. I had the impression that they try hard to keep exactly the kind of no drama image you prefer when it comes to negotiations.

Sagan’s future is obviously extremely important to them in terms of budget and profile. His signing was the moment they arrived as a top half of the WT team. He’s been their meal ticket. It’s a tricky situation: his status in the sport means that he will demand another fat pay cheque, but his results have been sliding downwards since his last stellar year in 2018. They have a lot of quality and depth in their squad but no other big star. They need Kamna or Schachmann to step up to the next level and/or Ackermann or Buchmann to show the level they seemed to be developing in 2019 or some less expected guy to really advance. Otherwise the sponsor publicity is going to reduce a lot. Sagan brings big publicity even when the wins aren’t flowing.

In 2019, Bora had 11 wins by now, en route to a 47 win season. They were legitimate rivals to DQS as the dominant sprint and classics team and also had young GC riders who seemed to have big futures. Even if Sagan had left, the future looked promising. It all looks tougher at the moment.

Last edited:
DIdn't he win no stages in that Tour and was basically in the Tinkov flames until he won the Worlds?

I read his autobiography a few years ago and as I recall it, when he won California there were no more problems with Tinkov. Him winning no stages in the Tour was incredible (and let's not forget that he was baby-sitting Contador at least on the cobbled stage) considering his level which was absolutely insane.

TRENDING THREADS