• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 203 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was thinking about which result would improve his palmares the most and my (very personal) list is as follows:

1. WC RR (in fact any medal)
  2. OG RR
  3. Gent Wevelgem
  4. Strade Bianche
  5. Any monument ( MSR being the least valuable)
From this point of view Movistar (i.e., Patxi Vila) seems to be the best choice.
If I had to make a top 5 I would agree with some choices but your devaluation of MSR feels really weird to me. It's such a glaring omission from his palmares at the moment. Much more so than Strade Bianchi imo because he is not necessarily expected to win that one. So I assume you simply value Strade over MSR?

Gent-Wevelgem is only included because of him getting the record, right? Then I find it odd that you are fine with him just taking any medal at the WC RR. Because taking another medal there would not give him any record (just look at how many medals Valverde has). Only a win would.

Imo the Gent-Wevelgem record is not that big either because while the race is important it is not on the level of monuments.

Reactions: spalco
If I had to make a top 5 I would agree with some choices but your devaluation of MSR feels really weird to me. It's such a glaring omission from his palmares at the moment. Much more so than Strade Bianchi imo because he is not necessarily expected to win that one. So I assume you simply value Strade over MSR?

Gent-Wevelgem is only included because of him getting the record, right? Then I find it odd that you are fine with him just taking any medal at the WC RR. Because taking another medal there would not give him any record (just look at how many medals Valverde has). Only a win would.

Imo the Gent-Wevelgem record is not that big either because while the race is important it is not on the level of monuments.

The list was so random I didn't think it merited a response.

I was thinking about which result would improve his palmares the most and my (very personal) list is as follows:

1. WC RR (in fact any medal)
  2. OG RR
  3. Gent Wevelgem
  4. Strade Bianche
  5. Any monument ( MSR being the least valuable)
From this point of view Movistar (i.e., Patxi Vila) seems to be the best choice.

imo:

1. MSR (by far!)
  2. Another Flanders/Roubaix/WC
  3. More stages in all GTs
  4. Points jersey in Giro and Vuelta (tough call probably)
  5. ORR would by fantastic, but it's such a gamble it would only be a bonus

Reactions: Sandisfan

It is not about value of races, althought I think that MSR is the least valuable from the monuments. I just feel that if he win MSR in the future, the general reaction will be "Finally. Now, let's talk about his chances at RVV an PR".

Yes, GW is for the record. WCRR too. My reasoning is that, IIRC, other 3 times world champions have an additional bronze.

WTF? Sagan fined and penaltied for what is happening in the begining of every bike race? Has he done something out of the normal?
from Slovak news portal: blocking (dangerously?) other riders trying to get in the breakaways + some lame-ass bully wannabe words maybe? he might tried to be a cocky or joking but he's not the sharpest tool in the box "speech wise".
so who knows... but i don't think the penalty is based solely on the riders' complaints so refs might have actually seen something (at least i hope so for the sake of UCI which is as consistent as my gf's "moods")

Last edited:
from Slovak news portal: blocking (dangerously?) other riders trying to get in the breakaways + some lame-ass bully wannabe words maybe? he might tried to be a cocky or joking but he's not the sharpest tool in the box "speech wise".
so who knows... but i don't think the penalty is based solely on the riders' complaints so refs might have actually seen something (at least i hope so for the sake of UCI which is as consistent as my gf's "moods")
i've read it originally in slovak papers, but the explanation were more of a guess or to vague, that's why I asked if somebody noticed something in the tv, cause I've only seen normal trying to fill road with bora and ineos and one handwave over guys, who sudenly woke up and wanted to chase the breake wich was already 25s up front.

Reactions: jmdirt

WTF? Sagan fined and penaltied for what is happening in the begining of every bike race? Has he done something out of the normal?
I guess it's not unlikely that he's done something out of the normal. It wouldn't be the first time he's done something that's just over the line of acceptability.

No wonder DQS don't want him when he brings so many staff and some mediocre riders with him.
All of that plus huge wages for a guy who can't win against the best in bunch sprints anymore and didn't win a Classic in 3 years..

Ja, that's kinda what "Radio Lefevre" commented on the case Sagan_to_ DQS today as well. According to him, Sagan's manager would have only been willing to take Sagan + 8 with him if it would have matched a supplement with DQS. However, another team was apparently ready to take them all (Sagan + 11). Lefevre concluded with the thought that he was really looking forward to working with Sagan, but that he had slowed down at the same time because he didn't want a team inside the team, which doesn't fit the philosophy of the wolf pack at all.

Reactions: Fuente De
To be fair, I never saw Sagan as a top tier sprinter, there have always been 4-5 better than him. He's always been more of an opportunist, best on long hard stages with a bit of up and down or uphill sprints.

As for the lack of monuments it's certainly not helping that there hasn't been a Roubaix for over 2 years, and he didn't have a great prep for MSR this year and did ok considering. MSR is the gaping hole on his CV obviously.

If anything it's the climbing and explosivity that has declined a bit. I honestly can't see him winning another Ronde now we are in the era of the Vans and Pidcock. And it felt telling that he didn't fancy a pop at the Giro stage Bettiol won the other day.

It's clear Bora has different priorities now so makes sense to go. TDE now would perhaps be in a bit similar place to Bora when he moved there. Will it be an issue he'll be targeting the same races as Turgis? Who looks a useful prospect. Do TDE have the strength in depth he needs to support him on the hilly intermediate stages?

Could be an inspired move, but could also be a car crash.

Reactions: Keram and water202
I am not a huge fan of DQS whatsoever, and at first I thought Sagan to DQS would be like a hero going to the evil empire. But now that it's not happening, I am slightly disappointed - I really do think he would get a nice bump in wins and classics, and that's all I really care about - him buffing up his palmares before retirement. If he goes to TDE, well I feel like with his crew it'll be the same difference as being at Bora.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think for any leader it should be Leader + 2 Support riders(With 1 of them the last man) + 1 Mechanic + 1 Doctor/Physio etc. Any more support should come from the team itself and if more support is required, it should from his personal management not on the team. Consider team size in a GT is 8 and a one day race is 7 , if the Sagan 5 are there where is the space to accomodate the other leaders and would Sagan 5 extend the same support for other leaders. In the DSQ team that would be impossible.

I think for any leader it should be Leader + 2 Support riders(With 1 of them the last man) + 1 Mechanic + 1 Doctor/Physio etc. Any more support should come from the team itself and if more support is required, it should from his personal management not on the team. Consider team size in a GT is 8 and a one day race is 7 , if the Sagan 5 are there where is the space to accomodate the other leaders and would Sagan 5 extend the same support for other leaders. In the DSQ team that would be impossible.

Yeah I can't see how the Sagan 5 would fit with Asgreen being the protected rider.

TRENDING THREADS