• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Petition asking Armstrong to confess

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
BigRingBlog said:
While the USADA case is clearly damning evidence and I am hopeful that it will enact broad changes in the sport, my thought is (however unlikely it may be) that with enough signatures, a personal confession from Lance would be possible.

https://www.change.org/petitions/la...ublicly-to-any-past-doping-while-on-us-postal

Why would LA confess to something he flat out denies? I belief is that LA deeply believes he is a hero for doing what he had to do to be the top dog in the Tour.

Its the US Marine Corps / John Wayne western/ Texan ethic taken to a logical end. Damn the personal cost - do what it take to win.

And frankly in the modern world, its not nearly as rare or demented as many here seem to believe. Witness corporate executive excess, investment banking, financial markets.

So is LA evil? Without a doubt, is he unique in the range of evilness? Not as much.

End thought is that its a waste of good finger energy to type in any request that LA confess.

As Willie Nelson said - Them that don't know him won't understand him and those that do won't like him.

Carols said:
I would sign except I don't see him as a 'hero' for any reason. If that sentence was taken out I would sign.

I was trying to say that despite what Lance would have us all believe, his contribution to cancer awareness and sporting fraud are two completely separate things... Perhaps hero was the wrong choice of words.

ebandit said:
no separation...............sporting fraud.............fraudulent charity........
.......to enrich / promote lance

Completely agree that the charity its self is completely a scam, but it did have a slight effect on cancer awareness (and it also likely resulted in about 10,000,000 of those Livestrong bracelets ending up in the Pacific Ocean)

hahahaha. The only thing I can think of more useless than an online petition in general is an online petition to get Armstrong to confess.

Plus, why would anyone want him to confess? I just want him to go away, confession was when for people needed it to know the truth.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Lance don't confess. I watched Leno's opener last night, he made a joke about you.
He got a laugh when he said that he knew something was wrong when you won the Indy 500 on a bicycle. The punchline was to say that all your awards would be given to another famous bike racer..
then he just should there..the audience chuckled because the punchline was there are no other famous bike racers.

Any good you ever did for the sport is gone.

Anybody who ever tries to ride to work or get coworkers to give cash for a per mile charity ride will be subjected to a stupid doping Armstrong joke reference. That is your legacy with or without a confession, so it's best to limit the material they are working with by staying quiet. It won't do any good.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
BigRingBlog said:
I was trying to say that despite what Lance would have us all believe, his contribution to cancer awareness and sporting fraud are two completely separate things... Perhaps hero was the wrong choice of words.

I don't mean any disrespect to cancer sufferers and I am sure that LA's work helped people. However, I am not sure if LA did it to help others. All his behaviour points to the fact that he is a total sociopath. The cancer foundation was very very useful for his own success and making 125 million in the process. So, no, I don't agree that the two have nothing to do with each other. Livestrong helped him a lot to prolong his sporting fraud and hide his true ambitions.
Adolf Hitler built great Autobahns in his time. Does that make him a good man?

mewmewmew13 said:
It's over for him...he's been outed for what he was.
I'm movin' on and can't wait to put Armstrong behind.

It doesn't matter if he confesses or not. And he won't.
+1

although i'd possibly reconsider signing if there was a clause that insisted Lance keep his clothes on.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Armstong should be regarded as a hero when it comes to all of the work he has done for cancer research.
He should be regarded as a special kind of scum for lying to the parents of sick and dying children. Only good part of that petition was spelling the guy's name wrong. Chapeau for that.

Now, let's wrap today's fish with yesterday's headline and find someone else to talk about.

mewmewmew13 said:
It's over for him...he's been outed for what he was.
I'm movin' on and can't wait to put Armstrong behind.

It doesn't matter if he confesses or not. And he won't.

I agree that it is over for him, but a confession (and I know it is extremely unlikely that we will ever hear one) would take away any shred of doubt that a surprising many people still seem to have.

Without a confession can we ever really put Lance behind? Won't there always be some people repeating "500 tests and not one positive"? I realize that a confession wont fix those 7 tours, and yes, I know it is extremely likely that a good portion of the peloton was doping during those years (which is not and should not be a justification in any way!) but it is really the only way I can foresee true closure to that era.

On top of that, a confession would be one more nail the the UCI's coffin. While McQuaid and friends condemned Lance they managed to tip toe around any responsibility they might have had, which in my opinion makes them look even worse - all of this was going on right under their noses and they did not have a single suspicion.

TRENDING THREADS