• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil and Paul

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
climber_corbin said:
When Mikel Nieve attaked both Phil and Paul had no idea who it was. It's not as though he hasn't already attacked on stage 3, stage 8, and fluctuated within the top 20 on GC! Phil said he would guess it was Oroz or one of the Izagirre brothers - I was cringing!

Yeah, just referred to him as 'the Spaniard' for quite a while.

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
The only pain i get is from pronunciation of Dutch names (goodness knows how they maul the other nationalities).
Lars Boom, - the boom is pronounced by Phil as in the explosion noise, but sometimes correctly as 'bohm' so perhaps he read my complaint I sent in last year (sigh).

Same mistake with Hoogerland. Dear P and P, - oo is pronounced 'oh' in Dutch.

Then we have Moll -EM - a. It's MOll-ema (emphasis on first syllable).

They get Ten Dam right, I suppose it's difficult not to do so. Actually a in Dam is not said like an American says 'damn' but more like an englishman says 'ah'.

The compere of the programme gets them nearly all right, (though not the 'dam' ) - good on him.

InterestedSpectator said:
The only pain i get is from pronunciation of Dutch names (goodness knows how they maul the other nationalities).
Lars Boom, - the boom is pronounced by Phil as in the explosion noise, but sometimes correctly as 'bohm' so perhaps he read my complaint I sent in last year (sigh).

They get Ten Dam right, I suppose it's difficult not to do so. Actually a in Dam is not said like an American says 'damn' but more like an englishman says 'ah'.

The compere of the programme gets them nearly all right, (though not the 'dam' ) - good on him.

What do you think of their pronunciation of the letter 'g' as in gesink?

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
They don't do too bad pronouncing the Dutch 'g', given how difficult it is for native English speakers. Where they go wrong with Gesink is the 'e': The vowel should be as in gay, not as in guess.

Honestly, Phil and Paul aren't so bad with pronunciation of foreign names. At least they try, which is more than can be said of many other sports commentators (of various nationalities).

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
quiqui said:
They don't do too bad pronouncing the Dutch 'g', given how difficult it is for native English speakers. Where they go wrong with Gesink is the 'e': The vowel should be as in gay, not as in guess.

Honestly, Phil and Paul aren't so bad with pronunciation of foreign names. At least they try, which is more than can be said of many other sports commentators (of various nationalities).

Actually when it comes to SBS (who they broadcast with in Australia) they're pretty good.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
InterestedSpectator said:

Phil did refer to Ten Dam as "Van Dam" the other day. The previous night's Novotel movie obviously in the forefront of his mind there. :)

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
quiqui said:

They are trying (very)! Seriously, they have got hold of the 'oh' instead of oo but they keep switching when they get excited. Yes, I forgot about Gesink, but in fairness, his name does not follow the normal Dutch spelling rules as if it should be pronounced Gay - sink, then it should be spelt Geesink in Dutch.

The way to get these things right is to ask the riders before the race. Goodness, there are only 200 of them!

I should stress I like Phil and Paul and i would hate it if they were replaced.

Matt, the one they have assigned the interviews, is very good technically and did a great job on the Vuelta in the same role as Boardman.

Agree that Matt adds good technical knowledge to the team. I really rate Gary Imlach - he is a smooth, yet witty anchor.

Anyone hear Anthony McCrossan and Brain Smith commentate on the 2012 Veulta for ITV4? I didn't like them much to start with, but they grew on me (I think the quality of that particular Vuelta may have helped) - refreshing change from P & P.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Enough with the fawning over Lance's Beloki corner shortcut. It's been a decade guys. Get over it!

Though I suppose of Lance's exploits in the Tour, the shortcut is the only thing P & P can still talk about. :D

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
climber_corbin said:
I really rate Gary Imlach - he is a smooth, yet witty anchor.

I enjoyed seeing Gary Imlach and Chris Boardman basically expressing their disbelief that riis and vino were allowed anywhere near the tour. Not to get into clinic territory but we never hear that kind of stuff from p and p.

Top form today. As the moto camera shows raindrops over it, enter Phil:

"I don't think that is rain on the camera, I think it must be perspiration or water coming off the crowd."

*cut to a replay of Peraud slamming into the road at a sodden bend*

Do they not have anti-perspirants in France? Easily done in fairness, but good for a chuckle.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Phil is mashing his words so much these days. Today he had two attempts at the word clavicle and it came out "cravicule" then "clavicule".. I mean there's nowt wrong with aspirations, but maybe just "collarbone" is the safe option.

Also had "Chris Fume". Obviously Chris is still angry about people trying to race him :p

Fergoose said:
Top form today. As the moto camera shows raindrops over it, enter Phil:

"I don't think that is rain on the camera, I think it must be perspiration or water coming off the crowd."

*cut to a replay of Peraud slamming into the road at a sodden bend*

Do they not have anti-perspirants in France? Easily done in fairness, but good for a chuckle.

:D
LOL. water coming off the crowd...

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Boeing said:
Yesterday Paul said the name "Alberto Valverde"

Thank you Phil for reminding us that "literally every second counts in this the 100th edition of the tour dr France". So like this race is timed? Oh

When Valverde and Vino were in the same race I swear Phil would call them Alexander Valverde and Alejandro Vinokourov more often than he would get their names correct.