• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Podium behaviour poll

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Sagan’s behaviour on the podium wrong?

• No - I like him even more after this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Cowgirlup said:
I love to see other men, his team mates, friends etc say to him "Dude, what you did was crappy, you shouldn't ever do that mate"

I like to see other men in general (eg this forum) see his behaviour as crappy and not a joke and not "boys being boys" and not make excuses for him.

Why are you suggesting that women are so weak that they can't stand up for themselves when someone is mistreating them and need other men to protect them? How sexist is that?

Cowgirlup said:
I'd just like to him to not ever do it again. I'd like him to really sincerely apologise and truly understand that he has no right to do what he did. I mean, not just apologise because the public is in an uproar, but really see that what he did was a ****ty thing to do.

I love to see other men, his team mates, friends etc say to him "Dude, what you did was crappy, you shouldn't ever do that mate"

I like to see other men in general (eg this forum) see his behaviour as crappy and not a joke and not "boys being boys" and not make excuses for him.

To facilitate change, you just need people to stand up and say "stop doing that, it is inappropriate" and not think it is a joke.

it's easy, just don't pinch a womens **** unless she gives you direct permission. How hard is that?

Fair points.

You realize that it is unlikely you will know how sincere he is wrt apologizing (unless he keeps doing it, in which case he is clearly not).

There will also always be sexists, as well as trolls on forums trying to get a rise out of folks.

None of this is meant to suggest such behaviour is acceptable. It is just that it might not be worth getting too worked up over, especially on a bike racing forum.

willbick said:
Kinda depressing that anyone showing signs of having a personality nowadays is castigated, mainly in the name of hyping up a 'news story'/'controversy'. Celebrate victory in a silly fashion? Disrespecting the opposition. Playfully pinch a podium girl's ****? Disrespecting the female gender. Its a wonder anyone does anything...

Well said. The culture of complaint. She makes a complaint, he faces the music. Maybe he apologised after the podium ? Maybe she saw it as a bit of silliness and was not offended ? Personality, what is that ? It is so rare to see it these days in public that when you do see or hear something genuine, it is startling. The guy has always been a prankster. Yawn. Maybe this will make someone's Years Most Shocking list or some such along with Celebrity Sweat Marks On The Red Carpet. Life in the 21st Century........

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Just to silence some white knights, these are the female responses on Peter's facebook (and before you accuse me of it, yes, I actually spent the last 15 minutes collecting all posts by women on FB):

Women envied her )))))
seconded, Helen!!!
I am 54,I would like it from peter
I definitely wouldn't complain
Me neither
you can grab mine anytime xx
The look on Peter's face while he was doing that is priceless!!!!
In my opinion it was not necessary to apologize for that! It was so obvious a joke! Btw, I'm a girl, married, a mum, and I have a great sense of humor! You did not do anything wrong!
You're young and it was funny
It was good !
Peter you are #1!
You really entertained me :) Congratulations
You make me proud to be Slovakian- don't worry about what others say!
U are awesome .... as well as your jokes!
Don't apologize! I am always like you Peter!! Always funny!!!!!! )))
Peter you are simply the best!
Lighten up. Probably the same people complained who complained at the TDF last year
Hahahahahaa sei grande......
Forget what others think your amazing well done today we love you
I Think she like it Also and jou are I young Guy!
I had a good laugh :))
Peter you are the man! Screw the others!
It was funny, don't care what people say
That was unprofessional but totally funny
Oh, o, Peter. Remember to keep your hands to yourself : )
This was amazing haha. Don't change anything, remain your funny self. And win Amstel Gold ofcourse
I don't know I think it's funny. Maybe she liked the attention?
I still like you anyway... :)
:D
Oooh, if only I could stand there, I would love it! It was cute, don't worry Peter!
ha ha ha

Really, the only girl that could complain is the podium girl involved and she didn't. I don't really understand why some other women (or men for that matter) feel like they have to "defend her honor" when she doesn't feel that way herself.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If Cavendish had done this some of you chaps would be worked up into such an outraged frenzy this topic would already have got to 50 pages.

Caruut said:
The fact that she's being paid to be there makes it all the worse. If it's, say, at a bus-stop or in a shop then she can reasonably turn around and say "Get your hands off me, you ****". In this situation, she's essentially powerless to do anything at all at the time.

I voted option 2. Even though I think it's really not okay to do that, I think it's worth noting that Sagan is relatively young, lives a pretty sheltered lifestyle and has got where he is because of his legs, not his head. The way we talk about him sometimes, it's no wonder the guy acts like he's not in the real world once in a while.

It reminds me of something the often offensive and occasionally incredibly perceptive comic Frankie Boyle said about Cristiano Ronaldo: "Of course he lacks perspective. He's been treated like he's better than everyone else since the age of about 8 simply for having incredibly well-coordinated feet. It's a wonder he hasn't killed someone."

Yes, it's inappropriate, but people are a product of the societies they are in. In Peter Sagan's world he's treated like royalty, he probably has quite a lot of success with women when he's not groping them in public and he also, by winning lots of bike races, ends up spending a lot of time around podium girls who are treated like pieces of meat, not good for anything but looking pretty.

I think that's the real issue that this has raised. Why are we so surprised that, when we maintain a tradition like having podium that looks at those girls as nothing but objects, someone ends up treating them like objects? In my opinion, podium girls don't really belong in the 21st century, and when things like this happen the culture that tolerates them is more to blame than the individual.

Back to the individual in question, it's worth noting that he almost certainly didn't mean any harm. The fact that a guy can do that and think it's harmless fun is, in my view, a problem with society, but Peter Sagan is not to blame for all of society's ills, no matter how silly you think he finish-line celebrations can be.

Firstly - wow Caruut - you made me post here :mad: :D

secondly - how many times can I agree with this? incredibly well worded, and exactly right.

Caruut said:
Yes, it's inappropriate, but people are a product of the societies they are in. In Peter Sagan's world he's treated like royalty, he probably has quite a lot of success with women when he's not groping them in public and he also, by winning lots of bike races, ends up spending a lot of time around podium girls who are treated like pieces of meat, not good for anything but looking pretty.

I think that's the real issue that this has raised. Why are we so surprised that, when we maintain a tradition like having podium that looks at those girls as nothing but objects, someone ends up treating them like objects? In my opinion, podium girls don't really belong in the 21st century, and when things like this happen the culture that tolerates them is more to blame than the individual.

Back to the individual in question, it's worth noting that he almost certainly didn't mean any harm. The fact that a guy can do that and think it's harmless fun is, in my view, a problem with society, but Peter Sagan is not to blame for all of society's ills, no matter how silly you think he finish-line celebrations can be.

Well said!

I do think Sagan deserves to be admonished though.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
saganftw said:
soooo in the light of recent events i suggest a measure of podium girl hotness to be a "Sagan"

blond is not my kind of woman,so id give that podium girl 5 Sagans tops :cool:

How many sagans does a perfect woman score?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what the reaction would have been if the podium girl had turned around and slapped him?

I assume she would have lost her job.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
pugdog said:
I wonder what the reaction would have been if the podium girl had turned around and slapped him?

I assume she would have lost her job.

I consider what Sagan did funny, but had she slapped him, it would have been much much funnier. He deserved it too.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm usually not with the feminists, but in this case it's just plain stupid and immoral what Sagan did.

hrotha said:
Honestly I'm more appalled by those who defend him than by what he did.

I agree. What Sagan did was just stupid and childish. But then people come with replies like this:

willbick said:
Kinda depressing that anyone showing signs of having a personality nowadays is castigated,

Seriously? Groping a women is showing a sign of having a personality? Quite the opposite as far as I'm concerned.....

TRENDING THREADS