• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Podium behaviour poll

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Sagan’s behaviour on the podium wrong?

• No - I like him even more after this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
mewmewmew13 said:
Rape has nothing to do with 'titillation' and 'sexual harassment' ..it is a violent crime.

Unless you have ever been sexually harassed at any level at any point in your (obviously very young) life then, no, you could not possibly 'get' the point that some here are trying to make that it was inappropriate.

Also, by trying to equate disapproval of Sagan's actions with 'crying rape' ..you are pathetically dismissing the validity of why his action was inappropriate in the first place.

I'm sorry that that is your impression. Hopefully you will never be bullied, disrespected or harassed in your life.
Cheers

Right on Sister.....they don't understand what it is like, unfortunately it is that simple :(

Caruut said:
Stop borderline baiting, you're a mod.
I'm a poster like everyone else. What I did was *not* baiting nor 'borderline'. As a mod I will try my hardest to follow the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to be holier than thou. When I post I post as a poster. Just as I did before being a mod. If you have a problem with how I am as a mod, then take it to the moderators thread.

Caruut said:
It's different for several crucial reasons.

Firstly, it is making fun of the original incident.
Which isn't a difference really, since the action by Sagan also was a joke.

Caruut said:
Secondly, at the moment it is much more of a violation to do that to a woman than it is to a man. I don't think that's right, but I do think it is very much the case. In general, women mind more. I believe that this is because weird social ideas about the "purity" of women mean that culturally women being treated in such a manner are frowned upon much more than men being treated in such a manner.
This is utter sexism. It doesn't effing matter whether it was done by or to a woman or man.

Caruut said:
Thirdly, there is much less of a culture of such abuses form women on men than there is from men on women.
So??? That doesn't change the action.

Caruut said:
Fourthly, I think the power relations between the actors are very important. The girl in Sagan's case has very little power. He is the superstar athlete and she is the (until then) largely anonymous face, and is in no position to do anything about it there and then in front of the cameras. The power disparity in the other cases isn't likely to be nearly as large.
Doesn't make it one bit worse or better.

Caruut said:
So, can we stop pretending it's exactly the same?
It is the same except for one thing and one thing only (and it isn't because of the genders). Sagan's action was a joke, and the woman's action was a meta-joke.

Caruut said:
EDIT: I also don't think that what the woman did was appropriate. However, I don't think they are equally inappropriate.

IMO they are equally appropriate. I don't think that either was inappropriate.

mewmewmew13 said:
You keep bringing up these passive aggressive accusations directed squarely at me. It seems a very thinly veiled attempt to get a rise and response from me.
So you wouldn't have commentated it in a negatively way if a male cyclist did the same thing?

mewmewmew13 said:
You are supposed to keep a high level of reason and intelligence when weighing your comments in your role as an admin...I am not seeing any hint of either in your posts.
See my answer to Caruut.

mewmewmew13 said:
Just so you can rest easy, I was actually inferring in my original comment "There will always be louts" that as well as Sagan being a lout the female cyclist on the podium was also being a lout.
Her move was immature and stupid as well as trivializing a more important lesson that obviously Sagan has not learned from this incident.
Funny how it was only posted as a response to Sagan's comment then.

mewmewmew13 said:
It is not my problem that you miss subtleties in comments and then keep twisting the intent of my post to satisfy your irritation with me.
I agree. You word yourself to perfection and yet I try to twist every word written by you to satisfy my irritation with you. :rolleyes:

Or maybe you don't word yourself perfectly and misunderstandings happen. And maybe I would have responded the same to any other poster. Perhaps it has nothing to do with you.

mewmewmew13 said:
From what I see of your short history here as a mod/admin I find you are walking a thin line of power abuse and poor taste.

Sorry for not having *your* taste. Which mod power is it that I have abused?

wiggos sideburn said:
No all he said it was meant to be a joke which he feels some have not understood. He's apologising to her as he realised she didn't like it means he is taking responsibility

Explain what 'not understanding the joke' means with regard to pinching a girl's ***. are there some other levels to it that I haven't considered?

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Explain what 'not understanding the joke' means with regard to pinching a girl's ***. are there some other levels to it that I haven't considered?

I'm presuming by what I have read on what he said earlier, he feels the fans want him to do something everytime, he brought up the wheelie after the win the week before. So I'm guessing he just thought it would be a bit silly and people would have a quick laugh but the reaction didn't turn out the way he expected

Netserk said:
This is utter sexism. It doesn't effing matter whether it was done by or to a woman or man.

So??? That doesn't change the action.

Doesn't make it one bit worse or better.

It is the same except for one thing and one thing only (and it isn't because of the genders). Sagan's action was a joke, and the woman's action was a meta-joke.

IMO they are equally appropriate. I don't think that either was inappropriate.

C'mon Netserk, you don't honestly believe this stuff deep down in your heart do you? As much as you or I might like for things to equal between the sexes, we just aren't there yet.

Nice gesture by Peter today.

jaylew said:
C'mon Netserk, you don't honestly believe this stuff deep down in your heart do you? As much as you or I might like for things to equal between the sexes, we just aren't there yet.

Nice gesture by Peter today.
I know things aren't equal between the sexes.

But IMO there is no difference at all between a male pinching a female's buttocks and a female pinching a male's buttocks.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by ‏@petosagan
She forgot to recognize me for my podium patent hahaha!!!

I hope Sagan doesn't want credit for this guy's behavior....

Cyclist Wanted in Long Beach Groping Attacks
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KTLA) — Police in Long Beach are looking for a bicyclist who they say brazenly gropes women and girls as he rides by them on the street.

The most recent attack was reported March 25 at Fourth Street and Atlantic Avenue.

The victim of the attack has yet to come forward, but a witness provided information to police.

Authorities have released surveillance video of the suspect in hopes the victim will come forward, or the public can help identify the suspect.

He is wanted in 21 sexual assaults since September of last year, and authorities believe there may be many more assaults that have not been reported.

Back in December, police released surveillance video to the media and the suspect went silent for a few months, but the attacks picked up again in February.

Police say the suspect rides up behind his victims, grabs them, and then rides off.

Long Beach Police Sergeant Aaron Eaton said the suspect is “somebody who definitely needs to get off the street.”

Eaton says the victims range from elderly women to a girl that was only 12-years-old.

“If he’s willing to do that kind of crime it’s something we take very, very seriously,” Eaton added.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2013/04/10/cyclist-suspected-in-long-beach-groping-attacks/#ixzz2Q4yjklaC

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
cannondalePro: A gift from @petosagan before the start in #Brabante... http://t.co/LVjQ99wx8Q

BHfXVFSCAAAzNCL.jpg:large

They will have 20 kids, and all of you will look stupid.
(sarcasm)
The guy is just awesome.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
OK. so now that SAGAN has repaired his conduct/behavior with good deeds & apologized properly to the Podium hostess...

Can the Mods shut down this Thread?:)

No! Don't shut it down.

Everyone is leaving out how a hand full of recently killed flowers is the solution to a bum pinch, I mean the bum pinch was supposedly sexist and offensive and who knows how many other ways some viewers were caused to go into spasms. Yet, the presentation of newly killed flowers solves it all :D

Agh, man this just gets better!

hfer07 said:
OK. so now that SAGAN has repaired his conduct/behavior with good deeds & apologized properly to the Podium hostess...

Can the Mods shut down this Thread?:)
Why?

Just because he apologized some people will most likely still hate on him. And we can still discuss his action (if there is anything left to discuss..).

Most likely the thread will die its natural death. No need to force it.

I love the way you come on here netserk and disect the posts, then reply with your adroit and cleverly worded cr@p.

I'm guessing you are chuckling after each post.

Very professional. Good thing you've got this mod/admin thing going for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS