• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Podium behaviour poll

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Sagan’s behaviour on the podium wrong?

• No - I like him even more after this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
pedromartins said:
cannondalePro: A gift from @petosagan before the start in #Brabante... http://t.co/LVjQ99wx8Q

BHfXVFSCAAAzNCL.jpg:large

They will have 20 kids, and all of you will look stupid.
(sarcasm)
The guy is just awesome.

She is married.

Big Harold

BANNED
Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Sorry for having a penis-sized brain. I will therefore never be able to understand what it's like.
Having a small penis is not an issue here, having cojones is.
Sir quit your job here, we need real gentleman.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Why?

Just because he apologized some people will most likely still hate on him. And we can still discuss his action (if there is anything left to discuss..).

Most likely the thread will die its natural death. No need to force it.

I am a big Sagan fan, and I think what he did was inappropriate. But as some mentioned earlier, it is the comments of those defending his actions that is so interesting. So for that reason, I hope the thread isn't closed down.

Netserk said:
Why?

Just because he apologized some people will most likely still hate on him. And we can still discuss his action (if there is anything left to discuss..).

Most likely the thread will die its natural death. No need to force it.

True but this is the maximum Sagan could have done after his behavior. Not much left to say except refer to this incident when something like this happens again.

Christian said:
PS: What the female rider (sorry don't know her name) did was seriously funny :D

The term "glass ceiling" is used to describe a barrier to advancement based on gender discrimination.
So if women are allowed to make jokes touching men's "back" because they think it is funny, it's a men's discrimination.
Get over it...
The word <b>puritan</b> is often used to describe someone who is strict in matters of sexual morality, disapproves of recreation, and wishes to impose these beliefs on others.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
I'm a poster like everyone else. What I did was *not* baiting nor 'borderline'. As a mod I will try my hardest to follow the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to be holier than thou. When I post I post as a poster. Just as I did before being a mod. If you have a problem with how I am as a mod, then take it to the moderators thread.

I think moderators should maintain high standards of posting. By the content of your posts, I think it's clear we disagree on that. No more need be said on this thread.

Which isn't a difference really, since the action by Sagan also was a joke.

Really not sure whether you're actually this dim or just being wilfully stupid, but not all jokes are the same. A deeply racist joke is not the moral equivalent of a goofy knock-knock joke. In the same vein a joke that was only funny because it crossed a line it shouldn't have with regards to someone's bodily integrity is different from a joke regarding the week's events in cycling.

This is utter sexism. It doesn't effing matter whether it was done by or to a woman or man.

I think they're both wrong, but one is more wrong. For cultural reasons it is more of a violation to do the same thing to a woman than it is to a man. Just like, for example, placing your hand on a man's chest is not seen as sexual while placing it on a woman's chest is. For those reasons there is a very different attitude regarded the extent to which consent can be assumed for that action.

The gulf is undoubtedly smaller when it comes to the bum, but I believe it still exists. Society places pressure on women to maintain an image of purity in many circumstances - men who have many sexual partners are not treated the same as women who do. Because of this difference I think that it is more likely that a woman will have an issue with a bum pinch than a man will, and hence what Sagan did isn't okay.

So??? That doesn't change the action.

It is not just about the action, it is about how the action is interpreted and what it means in different contexts. The differences here mean that the context changes depending on who is doing it to who.

Doesn't make it one bit worse or better.

Why not?

It is the same except for one thing and one thing only (and it isn't because of the genders). Sagan's action was a joke, and the woman's action was a meta-joke.

The social relations between people interacting have an effect on what the interaction means and the rights and wrongs of it.

IMO they are equally appropriate. I don't think that either was inappropriate.

And to me that says a lot about you.

Netserk said:
So you wouldn't have commentated it in a negatively way if a male cyclist did the same thing?

See my answer to Caruut.

Funny how it was only posted as a response to Sagan's comment then.

I agree. You word yourself to perfection and yet I try to twist every word written by you to satisfy my irritation with you. :rolleyes:

Or maybe you don't word yourself perfectly and misunderstandings happen. And maybe I would have responded the same to any other poster. Perhaps it has nothing to do with you.

Sorry for not having *your* taste. Which mod power is it that I have abused?

Netserk said:
Sorry for having a penis. I will therefore never be able to understand what it's like.

Netserk said:
At least you play the ball instead of the man :rolleyes:

Ah, ok. Thanks for the lesson

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I see a lot of people here offended on behalf of the poor girl. Did anyone even bother to ask her, what she thought of it? In the end it's only her opinion that really matters.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Morten said:
I see a lot of people here offended on behalf of the poor girl. Did anyone even bother to ask her, what she thought of it? In the end it's only her opinion that really matters.

Already been discussed in the thread.

Her tweet
@MajaLeye What happened on Sunday was wrong. I hope this never happens again. But I'm sure it won't...excuses accepted @petosagan #flanders

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Morten said:

did asked someone these poor men, if they like to be kissing from strange girls every time ? Or if their girlfriends/wifes like it ?

well dear puritans and feminists, I think it's closed case
528183_10151581899029467_1212421667_n.jpg

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up Cyivel and Afrank. Couldn't see a response from her anywhere, so was just wondering if anyone had asked her.

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
"puritans" lol

it is obvious when people do not get. it.
it comes with maturity

In modern usage, the word puritan is often used to describe someone who is strict in matters of sexual morality, disapproves of recreation, and wishes to impose these beliefs on others.

It's about you.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
He's behaving like its the XGames. Which is fine. Out with the old moral code and in with the new. Is the music too loud grandpa?

TRENDING THREADS