• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Potential reactions to Armstrong news...

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here me now and believe me later. I know about 99.99% of you are blinded by your hatred for certain cyclists and love nothing more than to conduct factless armchair speculation about things you know not. However, by illegal drug distribution, that includes anything related to just that --illegal drug distribution. For example, "fraudulent chain of custody" would be included in my blanket statement. Ethics...as much as we would like someone to be ethical, is not necessarily criminal. I am no Lance fan. I just feel like this forum goes way off the deep end when it comes to Lance in particular and doping in general. You haters care too much about what Lance does or does not do.

It just seems to me that it is really far fetched to think that Lance would be so stupid to participate in illegal drug distribution. His doping is another story.

Frankly, I am bored with the whole debate about whether this cyclist or that cyclist doped. When it all is said and done, who gives a flying fig? Just look at the NFL. I bet most of those 300lb linemen are jacked to the eyeballs with HGH. Does anyone care about that?

And Jimbob, I am so sorry you have to be patient with me.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
And they prosecute those that commit the fraudulent activity that undermines the chain of custody of controlled substances.

You've been watching too many old western movies. The one's where the bad guys cross the county line and get away... Just because they crossed the county line. It don't really work that way. Novi can keep on going with whatever he finds.

vy2vc0.jpg

Time to saddle up your boys and draw a hard line ..........................
Hey Quicksdraw ,,, lets head'em off at da pass ........... :D

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
**Uru** said:
Here me now and believe me later. I know about 99.99% of you are blinded by your hatred for certain cyclists and love nothing more than to conduct factless armchair speculation about things you know not. However, by illegal drug distribution, that includes anything related to just that --illegal drug distribution. For example, "fraudulent chain of custody" would be included in my blanket statement. Ethics...as much as we would like someone to be ethical, is not necessarily criminal. I am no Lance fan. I just feel like this forum goes way off the deep end when it comes to Lance in particular and doping in general. You haters care too much about what Lance does or does not do.

It just seems to me that it is really far fetched to think that Lance would be so stupid to participate in illegal drug distribution. His doping is another story.

Frankly, I am bored with the whole debate about whether this cyclist or that cyclist doped. When it all is said and done, who gives a flying fig? Just look at the NFL. I bet most of those 300lb linemen are jacked to the eyeballs with HGH. Does anyone care about that?

Here here , ditto that . well written .
:cool:

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
And they prosecute those that commit the fraudulent activity that undermines the chain of custody of controlled substances.

You've been watching too many old western movies. The one's where the bad guys cross the county line and get away... Just because they crossed the county line. It don't really work that way. Novi can keep on going with whatever he finds.

What?!? You mean Novi ain't this guy?
rosco.png

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
Frankly, I would be shocked if Armstrong is charged with anything following the FDA probe. As people should know, the FDA is charged with the safety of US drug supplies. Their interest here would be in the unlawful distribution of drug products in the US, not whether Lance Armstrong (or anyone else) is a doper. From what I understand, the reason for the foreign meetings was to determine whether any of those foreign agencies had evidence of illicit distribution. This is completely consistant with what the FDA does all the time.

Most, if not all, of Landis' claims have been made in the past. So I would guess that Armstrong--and his supporters--have a pretty good grasp on the talking points. Assuming that Armstrong, other riders, and team did not distribute drugs; probably the worst that could happen is serving for any purgery that might have come up through the investigation (ie Marion Jones) and possible sanction from USA Cycling if doping activity is uncovered.

The FDA may uncover unlawful distribution of drugs, but I would be very suprised if they charge Armstrong with that.

What you are conveniently omitting is that there is far more than an FDA investigation going on.

When the Feds (Novitzky, Miller etc) went to Europe who was sitting in there with them? Travis Tygart of USADA - now he will most certainly be interested in sanctioning athletes.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
**Uru** said:
Here me now and believe me later. I know about 99.99% of you are blinded by your hatred for certain cyclists and love nothing more than to conduct factless armchair speculation about things you know not.

**Uru** said:
Please accept my apologies **Uru** I was being rude. I have no excuse for that.

I doubt many forum members here are blinded by hatred, and many here comment about things far beyond doping. I also believe many here are stating observations of things they have seen. It is hardly "factless armchair speculation".

Maybe Armstrong does not face any issue directly from the FDA, but that is probably (99.99%) the least of his worries.

Dr. Maserati said:
What you are conveniently omitting is that there is far more than an FDA investigation going on.

When the Feds (Novitzky, Miller etc) went to Europe who was sitting in there with them? Travis Tygart of USADA - now he will most certainly be interested in sanctioning athletes.

There was also at least one FBI investigator.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
investigation

I was just reading as many new , news items over the issue as i could and i guess the police in Italy , in France are also cooperating in the investigation, to what seems to me in a very big way .
Bordry is willing to hand over the B Probe when asked Now that better testing methods are available .

Looks like Lance didnt make a lot of friends in Europe , That is a lot of co-operation helping out to try to nail Lances hide to the wall .

Wonder what kind of pandora's box this is going to open up .

:confused:

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:
I was just reading as many new , news items over the issue as i could and i guess the police in Italy , in France are also cooperating in the investigation, to what seems to me in a very big way .
Bordry is willing to hand over the B Probe when asked Now that better testing methods are available .

Looks like Lance didnt make a lot of friends in Europe , That is a lot of co-operation helping out to try to nail Lances hide to the wall .

Wonder what kind of pandora's box this is going to open up .

:confused:

Already opened:

pandoras-box-art-print.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You should not be surprised if Armstrong, and others, are charged with a variety of drug charges...including the use of unapproved, experimental, drugs.

This is one thing I have long wondered about. Will we see a Clinton-esque parsing of words in the style of "I did not have 'sexual relations' with Ms Lewinski"?

Will Team Strongarm resort to the old adage of, "If it's not on the banned substances list, it's allowed"? Any undocumented, "experimental" drugs or procedures would certainly fall into a very grey area that would then most likely be defended through the use of semantic gymnastics.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Not the WADA list.

Granville57 said:
This is one thing I have long wondered about. Will we see a Clinton-esque parsing of words in the style of "I did not have 'sexual relations' with Ms Lewinski"?

Will Team Strongarm resort to the old adage of, "If it's not on the banned substances list, it's allowed"? Any undocumented, "experimental" drugs or procedures would certainly fall into a very grey area that would then most likely be defended through the use of semantic gymnastics.

He will be defending himself against the FDA's rules and requirements, not the WADA Prohibited Substances and Methods list.

That will be more problematic, as I am sure that the FDA list is a fair bit tighter and more legally scrutinized than that of WADA.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:

Could you give an specific example of this "factless armchair speculation"?

You may not be aware of this but using unapproved drugs is against the law. As is using prescription drugs without a prescription and "Off-Label" drug use. Blood is also HIGHLY regulated. The entire process from donation to transfusion is regulated.

Of course many would like to pretend that this is only a drug related case. It is not. Think Cash, lots of it, no taxes and Swiss accounts. Also remember that benefiting from illegal activities, even if you don't take part, is against the law. RICO.

Flying illegal drugs around on your Private jet is distribution.

**Uru** said:

Is this line a prerequisite for every Lance fan when he posts?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
Ironically, Lance may end up like another LA. Lyle Alzado

Fabulous. SI already has a placeholder layout. But I'm just too lazy to do the photoshop work right now.

lyle-alzado-steroids.jpg

OK, I'll do it, but I'm not putting any TIME into it.

acq26x.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
He will be defending himself against the FDA's rules and requirements, not the WADA Prohibited Substances and Methods list.

That will be more problematic, as I am sure that the FDA list is a fair bit tighter and more legally scrutinized than that of WADA.

As has been said my many including RR, Dr Mas, etc: it's not the use of drugs but how procurred, how transported and how they were paid for. Who did any of that is in over their head now. Who encouraged or facilitated those actions may be in worse shape. Those that hid transactions and are financially well off will pay proportionately; maybe not with jail time but certainly with future credibility.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Fabulous. SI already has a placeholder layout. But I'm just too lazy to do the photoshop work right now.

I remember reading this book...

x5485.jpg

and that was fifteen years ago!

Players catheterizing themselves with clean urine--with a doctors assistance, of course--all the old tricks. It's a time honored tradition in sports around the world.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
As has been said my many including RR, Dr Mas, etc: it's not the use of drugs but how procurred, how transported and how they were paid for. Who did any of that is in over their head now. Who encouraged or facilitated those actions may be in worse shape. Those that hid transactions and are financially well off will pay proportionately; maybe not with jail time but certainly with future credibility.

Just the simple act of transporting YOUR OWN PERSONAL STASH in a private jet can result in a host of serious charges. Add into the mix that you're handing it out to your water carriers after you land, and you're in a heap of trouble.

If Lance doesn't cut a serious "come to Jesus deal" in advance, I suspect that the indictment will be a crushing, long document with tens (if not hundreds) of charges. There's so many different violations of federal law wrapped up in this crap. No wonder the guy has been a virtual recluse since August.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Just the simple act of transporting YOUR OWN PERSONAL STASH in a private jet can result in a host of serious charges. Add into the mix that you're handing it out to your water carriers after you land, and you're in a heap of trouble.

If Lance doesn't cut a serious "come to Jesus deal" in advance, I suspect that the indictment will be a crushing, long document with tens (if not hundreds) of charges. There's so many different violations of federal law wrapped up in this crap. No wonder the guy has been a virtual recluse since August.

...and why Chris Horner was holed up in a trailer on a dirt road for several months...

Status
Not open for further replies.