• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Potential reactions to Armstrong news...

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
LA will let the process drag on till 2013 then he walks free.

33xy4pj.jpg

If someone wants to ID the typeface, I'll tidy this puppy up a bit.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:

Neworld Thanks for your input . I cant stop , writing because of a difference of opinion , i have the same right to express my opinion in a free society . Freedom of expression .

I don't actually think you have to stop, change your opinion or want to encroach on your freedom of expression...it was just a symbolic plea. Kinda like 'take a deep breath and think about what your putting out there dude!' Lance is a douche bag liar, and Terry F is an inspirational icon.

You are right Terry will go on .... but you are wrong saying he is dead . We believe in the life everlasting as Christians ,,, and his memory makes him live on wherever he may be.

Humm, the religious card...right buddy. No I am not going to engage in some Genesis vs Darwin conversation with you. This is a cycling forum full stop.

Instead I will wait for the SI article to come out, cycling is my religion.

NW

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:
I cant stop , writing because of a difference of opinion , i have the same right to express my opinion in a free society . Freedom of expression .

Since that seems to indeed be the case, I'm just gonna throw this out there:

It's "," <space> or "." <space>

See how that works?

BotanyBay said:
I first took-up the sport when it was in "decline". Actually, it was in the doldrums. And I have to say, those were the true golden days.
So cycling, go ahead and "decline". At least then we'll know who our real friends are.

I'm not saying the ascension has been a completely good thing or the decline is a bad thing. During the LA times, there has been more money and more attention in North America than the sport has EVER had before. Regardless of whether I like them or ride with them, I tend to think more people riding is just better, it's just better for the world.

Less might be better in a lot of ways though, the real cyclists will still be there. Of course your favorite boutique frame builder or local bike shop might not.

Now if that increased money has somehow corrupted the UCI in ways it hasn't been before and resulted in skipped tests, test warnings, hidden positives or something then I think that's BS and that can't ever be fixed.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Neworld said:
I don't actually think you have to stop, change your opinion or want to encroach on your freedom of expression...it was just a symbolic plea. Kinda like 'take a deep breath and think about what your putting out there dude!' Lance is a douche bag liar, and Terry F is an inspirational icon.

Humm, the religious card...right buddy. No I am not going to engage in some Genesis vs Darwin conversation with you. This is a cycling forum full stop.

Instead I will wait for the SI article to come out, cycling is my religion.

Ok Mr. Full stop .

I am not putting anything out there , but its nice of everyone to look honorably towards Terry in the way you all jump on that . So Terry lives on in my book .

I havent said a thing in a negative way that is condencending towards Lance , I have looked to the positive contribution that all make in their lifetime . If there are wrong doings then its for our legal system to decide and not for people to through cyber stones at . Lance will get his say in court if it comes to that .
In short i am not into inciting hatred as you are doing by calling Lance Names .
i am not a Lance fan . But i am neutral .
Time and time people write in with shear hatred towards Lance . Who made you all judge , jury and executioner ?

AS far as the religious card goes ,, as you put it . I suggest you simple broaden your horizons .
There is a film i watched last night . It is called Language of the Enemy .
It was very well done , the actors were superb . The film was sad , very sad .
It just might be too much for you , but give it a try . It might enlighten you and you may search deep inside yourself . Maybe it will curb your anger a bit .
cycling is not a religion ,,, even if we all like it so much .
Have a great day . :cool:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:
If there are wrong doings then its for our legal system to decide and not for people to through cyber stones at

So if people think that their donations to Livestrong are going to cancer research when they are actually going to Jet Fuel, lap dances, and promoting a for profit website we should just sit on the sidelines, not say anything, and ignore it?

We should ignore the obvious and only promote the myth? really?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Since that seems to indeed be the case, I'm just gonna throw this out there:

It's "," <space> or "." <space>

See how that works?

Or maybe its < >.................. Or <???????> or maybe lost in space .
LOL .

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
TheMight said:
I'm not saying the ascension has been a completely good thing or the decline is a bad thing. During the LA times, there has been more money and more attention in North America than the sport has EVER had before. Regardless of whether I like them or ride with them, I tend to think more people riding is just better, it's just better for the world.

Less might be better in a lot of ways though, the real cyclists will still be there. Of course your favorite boutique frame builder or local bike shop might not.

Now if that increased money has somehow corrupted the UCI in ways it hasn't been before and resulted in skipped tests, test warnings, hidden positives or something then I think that's BS and that can't ever be fixed.

Too bad these times have not translated into more juniors getting involved. In 1985, it was not uncommon for us to have fields of up to 100 juniors in the Spring races (depending on where you raced).

In the 80's we just regarded the UCI as a bunch of "out of touch idiots". Too dumb to be be corrupt. But along the way, certain people there saw the advantage of becoming savvy about the sport.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:
Ok Mr. Full stop .

I am not putting anything out there , but its nice of everyone to look honorably towards Terry in the way you all jump on that . So Terry lives on in my book .

I havent said a thing in a negative way that is condencending towards Lance , I have looked to the positive contribution that all make in their lifetime . If there are wrong doings then its for our legal system to decide and not for people to through cyber stones at . Lance will get his say in court if it comes to that .
In short i am not into inciting hatred as you are doing by calling Lance Names .
i am not a Lance fan . But i am neutral .
Time and time people write in with shear hatred towards Lance . Who made you all judge , jury and executioner ?

AS far as the religious card goes ,, as you put it . I suggest you simple broaden your horizons .
It just might be too much for you , but give it a try . It might enlighten you and you may search deep inside yourself . Maybe it will curb your anger a bit .
This is a forum - so no-one here is "judge , jury and executioner" - people here express their opinions (as you have).

But if you feel that a Court of Law is the only standard for you to base your opinion then you should not even remain 'neutral', you should remain blank until a Court adjudicates for you - and it is probably best that you avoid the internet until then as it is obviously does not meet your high standards.

stainlessguy1 said:
Neworld said:
i am not a Lance fan . But i am neutral . Time and time people write in with shear hatred towards Lance . Who made you all judge , jury and executioner ?

The token I'm not a Lance fan statement. :rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
But if you feel that a Court of Law is the only standard for you to base your opinion then you should not even remain 'neutral', you should remain blank until a Court adjudicates for you - and it is probably best that you avoid the internet until then as it is obviously does not meet your high standards.

t8p384.jpg

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
A cheating sports stars may have resulted in more cyclists in the US & Canada, but the world is bigger than North America and other potential Tour winners from other countries during those 7 years would have resulted in more people getting interested in cycling elsewhere.
So suggesting that it's all good because more people are riding bikes is irrelevant, a similar amount of people would have been inspired to ride bikes anyway, just elsewhere.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
This is a forum - so no-one here is "judge , jury and executioner" - people here express their opinions (as you have).

Actually all this dates back to an original post that had me put Terry Fox down as a good example but my wording wasnt properly understood and things have been requoted and overquoted ever since . So finally others read into the next quote and then quote on that and the whole thing got to where it is now . The very fact that i even mention the plight that Terry had to deal with on the same article got people so riled up they wrote in , and blasted me with stop signs and the what not .
A person can still bring forth ideas and draw attention to questionable dealings in these forums without the cybermud slinging .
However , with trying to explain that to the average person that only reads 1/2 the posts relating to the issue is like trying to explain to a nascar fan ,, why we love to ride bicycles . After a while it gets pointless . :cool:

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
So if people think that their donations to Livestrong are going to cancer research when they are actually going to Jet Fuel, lap dances, and promoting a for profit website we should just sit on the sidelines, not say anything, and ignore it?

We should ignore the obvious and only promote the myth? really?

You didnt read the answer to a similar quote , this is why north america needs an open book policy . That will show where you money goes .
All high profile fundraisers have expenses , diesel in the buses isnt free .
Where the money goes is important ,, but as long as coporations in NA can work behind closed books then i guess you have to do things the hard way to bring someone to justice .
:cool:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:

Actually all this dates back to an original post that had me put Terry Fox down as a good example but my wording wasnt properly understood and things have been requoted and overquoted ever since . So finally others read into the next quote and then quote on that and the whole thing got to where it is now . The very fact that i even mention the plight that Terry had to deal with on the same article got people so riled up they wrote in , and blasted me with stop signs and the what not .
A person can still bring forth ideas and draw attention to questionable dealings in these forums without the cybermud slinging .
However , with trying to explain that to the average person that only reads 1/2 the posts relating to the issue is like trying to explain to a nascar fan ,, why we love to ride bicycles . After a while it gets pointless . :cool:

No - it doesn't relate to that, it relates to your comment on "who are you to be judge, jury & executioner" and that your views on Lance are "neutral".

I have read all your posts and I dont see your view on LA as "neutral":
stainlessguy1 said:
The Big picture here is what all those who have written are forgetting .
Lance Armstrong was a hero , a hero of his day as he changed the way cycling is looked at in North America . The Big picture comes in as the hope he generated across North America through his plight and recovery and victories and his becoming a household name everywhere . IN so doing , Cycling was put on the map in a generally Car dominated society where cyclists were mocked and ridiculed for years and years .

stainlessguy1 said:
I suppose that many of you that wrote , as to the doping , yes well i guess that thought didnt cross the mind at all at the time , because we looked at Lance and said ,,,, there is a soldier , sacrificing his body , unbeknowing to him what the outcome will be later . WE all cheered him on

stainlessguy1 said:
So now , i think its time to stop Lance bashing .

stainlessguy1 said:
Lance's personal struggle gave us all hope

stainlessguy1 said:
so best of luck Lance ,,, and thanks .

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:

You made a BIG mistake in how you equated Terry Fox's run with Lance Armstrong's supposed mission in life. The first mistake was to try putting both in the same conversation, as they are drastically different examples.

Terry put himself out there (no doubt), but there was never a "Just Do It" logo to go along with it. There were no galas, no jets,

t1_armstrong2.jpg

no nothing. Just a guy with a simple idea that taking on an impossible challenge with his dwindling life could potentially spark people into donating to cancer research.

When Lance "Just did it" with his boo-hoo-hoo "I had cancer" commercials he was capitalizing on grief and misfortune. They were sick to watch. Those Nike checks didn't go to LAF, they went to himself. Lance's Nike deal is LANCE's gravy:

darth-lance.jpg

Just like Tiger Woods' earnings after his shameful "Just do it" ads after his sex scandal didn't go to fund sex addiction research:

alg_nike_woods.jpg

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:

You didnt read the answer to a similar quote , this is why north america needs an open book policy . That will show where you money goes .
Where the money goes is important ,, but as long as coporations in NA can work behind closed books then i guess you have to do things the hard way to bring someone to justice .
Do "all high profile fundraisers" have a private jet and an annual travel expence of nearly $2 million?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
SaftyCyclist said:
A cheating sports stars may have resulted in more cyclists in the US & Canada, but the world is bigger than North America and other potential Tour winners from other countries during those 7 years would have resulted in more people getting interested in cycling elsewhere.
So suggesting that it's all good because more people are riding bikes is irrelevant, a similar amount of people would have been inspired to ride bikes anyway, just elsewhere.

I dont think so .
With phrases like * YOU RODE ALL THAT WAY ON A BICYCLE * or * PUT A MOTOR IN IT * or WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROVE , or HEY A.....HOLE GET OFF THE ROAD . To name a few , there are many more .
My all time favourite is of course ....... YOU RODE HOW FAR TO WORK ? HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GET HOME ? ....HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU ? AND OF COURSE WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROVE .

My dread is of course that after riding a short distance to work around 60km , and reaching work on time every day . While our great Unionized workforce , could not make it across town on a 5 min. trip in their Big V8 cars and had to punch in late .............. means that didnt go over well with the boys .( you never know if you got the crap kicked out of you one day by a 400 lb towmoter driver, because he got reprimanded for being late and your name was used as an example for getting there on time on a bicycle ) needless to say it resulted in cigarette burned tires and lots of damage , while your bike sits unattended in the plant in some corner .

So you see ,, with such history spanning more than one generation of cyclist i am a bit bitter towards someone saying its all because we would of changed anyway . No ,,, people dont change till someone comes along and it all falls into place .
that someone or somepeople was Greg and Lance ... together 10 wins ,,
that made the difference .
Like i said before ,,, no one follows something where there isnt a winner .
No one carries the torch for honorable mention . Donald Trump wouldnt do a Tour de Trump . No body likes also rans . period .

You say the world is bigger , yes it is ... but they dont have these macdonald supersize me idiots that cant get into their cadilac without a shoe horn types in the rest of the cycling world you refer to .
Look at Holland and just look at all the bike racks . Look at Denmark, same thing , the list goes on . Lots of parking for bicyles , no parking for cadilacs .

I dont even care if Lance used ,enhancers if he did , if he didnt , doesnt matter , what matters is what happened after to the sport of cycling in North america . It Grew big time .
The fact you all dont like they way the fund raising is going ,or the foundations are going .... thats your fault .
WE have been saying it for years .... corporate open book policies by law .
That means right across the board , open book in Canada and North American corporations OMG ... what a pandoras box that will open .
If you have to do it for one ,, then you have to do it for all . eh .

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Do "all high profile fundraisers" have a private jet and an annual travel expence of nearly $2 million?

I would think having a private jet is common for the High Profile spokes people.

Bill Gates and Bono would use them I would think....

Probably many others.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:

It appears you are working hard to appear as clueless as possible. There is plenty of public information about Livestrong to make an educated decision. You can continue to pretend there is not if it makes you feel better.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It appears you are working hard to appear as clueless as possible. There is plenty of public information about Livestrong to make an educated decision. You can continue to pretend there is not if it makes you feel better.

All these comercials you talk about , i have never seen one of them .
I see more thru all these posts then ever shows on my 2 station rabbit ear TV set . For 40 years i never had cable TV . I can tell you areas in the part of the woods that people farm and dont even have TV's .
So i never heard anything about money embezzlement ?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.