• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
I think the line is a composite of 2 trends. The increase in speed w.r.t decreasing distance and the technological evolution of bikes over time(better gears, lower weights, lesser drag and friction). The fact that the distance was decreased over time merges these 2 trends.
It's multifactoral no doubt. Plenty of roads, including major climbs in earlier years were not on sealed roads either.

<Yorkshire accent on>
and back when I were lad, 'eadwind used to blow all t' time. Gale force usually. 'ad to pedal down 'ill it were so strong...
young folk today 'ave it easy
</off>

Fun aside, there is of course the doping issue. When you look at the residuals chart and see the above trend speeds in the 1990s and 2000s, that's a causal conclusion one would naturally draw, however that doesn't explain the late 50's and early 60s which showed the same trend and when such effective go fast juice wasn't available.

And as Robert Chung also showed when he originally did such analysis of average speeds, when you plot the same residuals for the Giro and Vuelta, the pattern for above trend speeds in the 1990s and 2000s is not replicated in those races, which you would expect if doping was the primary factor.

So while doping clearly had some influence on these average speeds, it's only one factor and there are other things in play. It's shows up more in climbing speed trends, although that's also multifactoral.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Le breton said:
Valv.Piti said:
What the w/kg for 3,6 km on 7,6% on 14,30 minutes?

For a 70 kg cyclist standard Vayer cyclist, under "normal" conditions, about 3,8 W/kg.

I actually weigh in at exactly 70 kg...

Thanks. Lots of space for progression I guess.
I make it a little higher, closer to 3.9 - 4.0W/kg, but depends on assumptions made.
These are mine:
Screen%20Shot%202016-08-05%20at%204.25.15%20PM_zpsptj1elbe.png

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
All the climbing times of one year's edition have a common component (circumstances that day, what the race was up to that point, etc). That really needs to be controlled for when comparing the best climbing time across years. Putting 2005 Heras into a time machine and dropping him in this Vuelta might have resulted in a much quicker time.

SeriousSam said:
All the climbing times of one year's edition have a common component (circumstances that day, what the race was up to that point, etc). That really needs to be controlled for when comparing the best climbing time across years. Putting 2005 Heras into a time machine and dropping him in this Vuelta might have resulted in a much quicker time.
Or much slower time.

Any figures kicking about for yesterday? I reckon Yates on the last two climbs and Chavez on the last climb might prove informative. I only saw highlights which makes it hard to gauge the level of effort but I don't think there can be any doubt that both men were giving a full sustained effort from their attacks and it didn't look like wind was much of a factor. Little point with Cont, Froome or Nairo as they were all dicking about or injured.

Re:

Durden93 said:
I could be wrong here, but I had Chaves, Froome, Contador and Quintana at 9:27 for the final 3km. Anyone want to take a guess for the w/kg?

I wouldn't mind giving a value for the whole climb, but there is a slight discrepancy between two sources, this one
http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=379
and climbing-records
http://www.climbing-records.com/.
4km and 496 m for the first
3.9 km and 488 m for the second.

Taking the second set of data and not trying to be very accurate, I find that to go up that climb in 15:26 (from climbing-records) you need, if you weigh 67 kg, 424 watts, i.e 6.33 W/kg.

I have taken a CdA of 0.35 m^2, an air density of 1 kg/m^3 and 0.0045 for the road friction just to get an idea.

PS : PS : the av. altitude was only about 750m, so maybe increase air density to 1.07, if you push CdA to 0.375 and rolling friction to 0.005, you end up at ~ 6.4 W/kg.IF THE CLIMB IS + 496 m (vs 488), you get 6.5 W/kg.
Of course with no wind, no drafting behind other cyclists or cars :)

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Le breton said:
Durden93 said:
I could be wrong here, but I had Chaves, Froome, Contador and Quintana at 9:27 for the final 3km. Anyone want to take a guess for the w/kg?

I wouldn't mind giving a value for the whole climb, but there is a slight discrepancy between two sources, this one
http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=379
and climbing-records
http://www.climbing-records.com/.
4km and 496 m for the first
3.9 km and 488 m for the second.

Taking the second set of data and not trying to be very accurate, I find that to go up that climb in 15:26 (from climbing-records) you need, if you weigh 67 kg, 424 watts, i.e 6.33 W/kg.

I have taken a CdA of 0.35 m^2, an air density of 1 kg/m^3 and 0.0045 for the road friction just to get an idea.

PS : PS : the av. altitude was only about 750m, so maybe increase air density to 1.07, if you push CdA to 0.375 and rolling friction to 0.005, you end up at ~ 6.4 W/kg.IF THE CLIMB IS + 496 m (vs 488), you get 6.5 W/kg.
Of course with no wind, no drafting behind other cyclists or cars :)

Yeah, I was well off on the time. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, for a 15 minute effort.