• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
New paper for everyone to read (12 pages): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BaZuAbl3tRSXg0SHdXalFlNVk/view

Estimating climbing performances of professional cyclists: a larger dataset

@ammattipyoraily & @thomaswire

Introduction
The initial work done by @ammattipyoraily and @veloclinic (Dr. Mike Puchowicz) [1] focused on the estimation of the power developed by a cyclist during a climb, either being in competition or in training situation. This first “insight” into the data gathering of well-known power estimation through the use of two different models, Doctor’s Ferrari Formula (DrF) [2] and J.Martin et al. equation [3], over 250 climbs.

Starting from this significant basis and following a relatively similar method, the work presented in here considers a grand total of 1252 climbs of sub-parts of climbs, for which the two models pre-cited are applied. We attempt to verify the applicability of such models, their limits and why, if so, they fail.

I haven't read this yet but it looks interesting so far.

Yes, with vetooo's numbers.

Nairo:
rOZnr4T.png

Source: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/840641324403556353

Porte:
y2zdD35.png

Source: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/840634462073425922

That is with Ferrari's formula, I'm uncertain if (and how much) it underestimates the performances on such climbs.

Re:

Netserk said:
Yes, with vetooo's numbers.
Porte:
y2zdD35.png

Source: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/840634462073425922

That is with Ferrari's formula, I'm uncertain if (and how much) it underestimates the performances on such climbs.
The figures given here are at odds with figures announced by ASO for the col de Couillole
Summit at 1678 m
The 15.7 km include a first km at 1.3 or 1.4% and that should be corrected for (depending where the time is measured from, if it's from km 0)
For 15.7 km the alt. difference is 1678 - 550 = 1128 m
For the last 14.7 km, it is 1678 - 563 = 1115 m
Without further precisions from Vetoo it's hard to conclude on <W/kg>

Re: Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:
I know it's higher for lighter riders, but when it's used as a measuring stick, I think it makes better sense to use a standardized weight (like DrF).
That makes no sense if you are seeking to compare physiological performance with the same W/kg measuring stick. If not, then one stick has different increments than other.
When wanting to compare different riders on different climbs, making their performances more comparable is important, at least it is for me.

Even if it requires a lower W/kg, I think it's more impressive for an 80kg rider to climb Alpe d'Huez in 40' than it is for a 60kg rider.

I get why some prefer an as precise actual W/kg as possible, but I just want to know who is the better climber/who can climb the fastest.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:
I know it's higher for lighter riders, but when it's used as a measuring stick, I think it makes better sense to use a standardized weight (like DrF).
That makes no sense if you are seeking to compare physiological performance with the same W/kg measuring stick. If not, then one stick has different increments than other.
When wanting to compare different riders on different climbs, making their performances more comparable is important, at least it is for me.

Even if it requires a lower W/kg, I think it's more impressive for an 80kg rider to climb Alpe d'Huez in 40' than it is for a 60kg rider.

I get why some prefer an as precise actual W/kg as possible, but I just want to know who is the better climber/who can climb the fastest.
The better climber is the one who climbs fastest. You need no more information than that.

If you convert each rider's ascent rate into W/kg for a "normalised" 70kg rider with a fixed set of assumptions then all that happens is the faster rider has a higher "normalised" W/kg value, which tells you precisely nothing more than simply knowing the ascent rate. The ranking order for ascent rate will be exactly the same as for W/kg.

http://www.chronoswatts.com/news/113/

tirreno_2017.png

parisnice_2017.png

Contador, déjà brillant deuxième derrière Porte au sommet du col de la Couillole (estimation de puissance à 6,2 w/kg et 425 watts étalon), a montré de grandes capacités de récupération le lendemain. Il ose une attaque à 50 km de l'arrivée dans la montée de Peille. J'ai estimé sa puissance moyenne à 6,85 w/kg et 467 watts étalon (+/- 4%) pour une durée de 15min48s.

Full genius season :eek:

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
http://www.chronoswatts.com/news/113/

tirreno_2017.png

parisnice_2017.png

These two tables demonstrate exactly the point I'm making.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:

The better climber is the one who climbs fastest. You need no more information than that.

If you convert each rider's ascent rate into W/kg for a "normalised" 70kg rider with a fixed set of assumptions then all that happens is the faster rider has a higher "normalised" W/kg value, which tells you precisely nothing more than simply knowing the ascent rate. The ranking order for ascent rate will be exactly the same as for W/kg.