• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
More Strides than Rides said:

At :39 seconds is the standard epic Lance Armstrong look back at his competitors to see if they can hang, and to say, hey, screw you guys, you got nothing for me...because I'm doped beyond belief...EPO rulez.

Then again, at 1:58, Froome looks over at the guys that bridged up to him, taunts them with nonsense, smack talk, then just rides away and within 2 minutes, puts 20 seconds on everybody else....yeah, clean my a$$.

Now, if he was towed to the base of the climb nearly, then about 5km warmed up with no real effort required prior in the stage, OK, you can do that, many guys can, but after that distance in the stage, in the weather, to pull that nonsense...just ridiculous.

zigmeister said:
At :39 seconds is the standard epic Lance Armstrong look back at his competitors to see if they can hang, and to say, hey, screw you guys, you got nothing for me...because I'm doped beyond belief...EPO rulez.

Then again, at 1:58, Froome looks over at the guys that bridged up to him, taunts them with nonsense, smack talk, then just rides away and within 2 minutes, puts 20 seconds on everybody else....yeah, clean my a$$.

Now, if he was towed to the base of the climb nearly, then about 5km warmed up with no real effort required prior in the stage, OK, you can do that, many guys can, but after that distance in the stage, in the weather, to pull that nonsense...just ridiculous.

Wait, According to Brailsfraud, in this new Sky clean racing we won't see those kind of accelerations anymore.

Ridiculous indeed.

zigmeister said:

Must be nice for you being able to tell that someone is doping from just looking at them on a climb, this is what puts you apart from the real world with your esoteric knowledge (or more commonenly known as bs)

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
del1962 said:
Must be nice for you being able to tell that someone is doping from just looking at them on a climb, this is what puts you apart from the real world with your esoteric knowledge (or more commonenly known as bs)

It's understandable to have doped as the logical assumption. The last 20 years of cycling has been doped, is hard to know what clean cycling should even look like.

zigmeister said:

every time I watch that video it feels like i'm watching Sestrieres 1999

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
zigmeister said:

So because one rider was better than the rest that day he must be doping?

Are they all supposed to cross the line together?

There will always be stronger riders, have none of you competed in sports and had your **** handed to you by better competitors?

Ascertaining whether somebody is doping from a lot of supposition relating to a video is so far removed from reality as to be laughable.

Froome may well be doped to the gills in that race but lets have some proper evidence like doping products being found in his room, hidden mic recordings of him detailing his doping with team mates, incriminating emails between him and a doping DR, a failed test....you know solid evidence rather than a hysterical post about what his look back at the opposition meant....because a rider has never looked back to see where the opposition is have they?!

:rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily 14m
#AGR2014, Cauberg (770 m). Philippe Gilbert: 1 min 23 sec (new record) | prov.

Reports of a 7km/h tailwind. Have to watch the replay as the last few hundred meters looking like cross wind. Previous record was 1:25 by Gilbert at 2012 Worlds

It was kinda predictable, there has either been a green light at BMC or a serious kick up the backside. Peiper knows how to get results. Doesn't seem like it's enough for Hushovd though and not expecting Evans in the Giro to be any better than the last two seasons. Gilbert has another big contract ahead of him so more incentive, and Van Garderen is the future.

Vanendert partying like it's 2011 is most interesting, wonder if him and Jurgen will put on a show in July.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Vanendert partying like it's 2011 is most interesting, wonder if him and Jurgen will put on a show in July.
Lol, did you see his eyes on the podium? One finishing bottle too much for Jelle it looked like...
671podium_amstel.jpg

He should have kept his riding glasses on.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Reports of a 7km/h tailwind. Have to watch the replay as the last few hundred meters looking like cross wind. Previous record was 1:25 by Gilbert at 2012 Worlds

How many watts would that be? At a guess I would say 700 to 800

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Ferminal said:
It was kinda predictable, there has either been a green light at BMC or a serious kick up the backside. Peiper knows how to get results. Doesn't seem like it's enough for Hushovd though and not expecting Evans in the Giro to be any better than the last two seasons. Gilbert has another big contract ahead of him so more incentive, and Van Garderen is the future.

Am feeling similarly. Very curious to see if Cadel pulls out something of a miraculous turn around at Trentino / Giro, or if he'll play it safe and just do top 10 at the Giro.

I also wonder, if being married to an Italian / coached by Sassi / Italian company helps him at all...

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Am feeling similarly. Very curious to see if Cadel pulls out something of a miraculous turn around at Trentino / Giro, or if he'll play it safe and just do top 10 at the Giro.

I also wonder, if being married to an Italian / coached by Sassi / Italian company helps him at all...

I think he will go top 5 at the Giro.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Ferminal said:
Seems pointless now, unless he wants another couple of years at seven figures.

I believe he is going into media. I wonder if he could sign a better media contract (in Italia) as a Giro winner vs a Giro podiumer?

I can't imagine him working for Aussie media, I see too much disrespect for him in different social media networks.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Seen this earlier and I think it's also only fair to point out encouraging signs when done.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily Apr 29
#TourOfTurkey, Gogubeli climb (last 5 km)
2012 Ivailo Gabrovski 15:25
2013 Natnael Berhane 15:37 (strong tailwind)
2014 Rein Taaramäe 16:24

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
Any numbers on today?

The visual difference between today and 1999 (and I'm talking all the riders not just Pantani) was remarkable.

However, the visual can be deceiving...

Much slower today. Not sure about the other elements, like stage difficultly, tactics, etc, that may have effected the time.

1999 | Marco Pantani 17:05, 23.36 Kph, VAM 1879 m/h
2014 | Nairo Quintana 18:33, 21.51 kph, VAM 1730 m/h

Race Radio said:
Much slower today. Not sure about the other elements, like stage difficultly, tactics, etc, that may have effected the time.

stage seems to have been quite a bit easier, though that is only one variable.
_alt15.jpg

141.jpg

Von Mises said:
+ Pantani had mechanical and started climb about 25 later than peloton...

As was explained in the pro racing thread his mechanical does not factor into that calculation, since it happened before the climb so while he beat jallabert by 21 seconds on the day his oropa record is 50.seconds faster.

Still ridiculous for an 18 minute climb though of course.

TRENDING THREADS