• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 138 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vlasov on Ventoux yesterday was quite a performance. 6 W/Kg on that long climb is something.

He was flying on the mountain with that heat. Looking and big guys doing these kind of performances usually don't bode well with me. But I guess I will be criticized for this.

I wonder how Nairo's performance from the beginning of the year compares with this one, even though they were different because one of them was with a finish at lower level and with only a mono-climb. But still, would be nice to compare.

Waiting for Pogachar' perf. Looks like a 6.8-7 w/kg
aM71kAGg_700w_0.jpg

Reactions: Walkman
I looked at the full climb on Strava (a few guys already uploaded their ride) and that confirmes the trend.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1404340
2017 Pinot did the full climb in 38:50
McNulty did it in 40:18, so only 1:28 slower that Pinot in 2017 and he still finished 2:43 down today, they went really fast,37:35 for the winner.
One also has to mention that in 2017 there was chaos early on durning the stage, but today the stage was harder and right after the ITT, it's still a WTF performance, crazy wattages

I looked at the full climb on Strava (a few guys already uploaded their ride) and that confirmes the trend.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1404340
2017 Pinot did the full climb in 38:50
McNulty did it in 40:18, so only 1:28 slower that Pinot in 2017 and he still finished 2:43 down today, they went really fast,37:35 for the winner.
One also has to mention that in 2017 there was chaos early on durning the stage, but today the stage was harder and right after the ITT, it's still a WTF performance, crazy wattages
I don't think guys like Pinot did much work before the climb in 2017 anyway. And it's not just going like 1'30 faster than 2017, that stuff can happen. It's who's doing it, and who's riding 'normal' times.

Reactions: 46&twoWheels
I don't think guys like Pinot did much work before the climb in 2017 anyway. And it's not just going like 1'30 faster than 2017, that stuff can happen. It's who's doing it, and who's riding 'normal' times.
Yes and while lower temperatures can lead to faster climbing times (today was pretty much perfect climbing weather) one should not forget that the riders had cold, rainy weather first on 1-2 stages and then an ITT right before this stage, so I would expect some guys to blow up, but not crazy high wattages on a +35min climb by the race winners.

Reactions: Red Rick
Idk. One climb with very limited samplesize of times from the last decade isn't convincing me just yet. I didn't think the 2017 times on this climb would be particularly fast so this doesn't completely shock me.

That said, the trend of young youngsters demolishing the times of the last generation continues. If we see the same on the remaining mountain stages of the Giro I'll admit there might be more to it.

Idk. One climb with very limited samplesize of times from the last decade isn't convincing me just yet. I didn't think the 2017 times on this climb would be particularly fast so this doesn't completely shock me.

That said, the trend of young youngsters demolishing the times of the last generation continues. If we see the same on the remaining mountain stages of the Giro I'll admit there might be more to it.
It's not one climb though. It's a continued trend from the Tour where "I'm pushing my record numbers" Bernal got destroyed. It seems to me that whatever Ineos were missing the boat on in the Tour, they got right this time. Sunweb were flying at the Tour with a team that was banter worthy at first sight.

It does beg the question why super young guys can now all of a sudden be so good.

TRENDING THREADS