• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The 1994 Giro had a pretty strong line-up! The top 5 gc that year were Berzin, Pantani, Indurain, Chiapucci, Tonkov. And if we throw in Bugno and Hampsten, who were both top 10 that year, then it's 7 riders who eventually shared 32 GT podiums - all of them except Chiapucci with GT wins!

It was near the peak of the EPO era and it would have been interesting to see what they could do on the Stelvio ascent. But Stelvio was the 1st climb of the stage so it was not a GC battle and not really comparable to this year's Stelvio stage. Anyway, the performances yesterday were remrkable.

Reactions: Red Rick
I give you, a Dennis:
ElGdU8MXgAA0SBF

Lets give average wattage when there's descents in it. Velon is so dumb.

Anyway, Dennis almost as fast as Salvodelli in 2000. EPO era time.
Thought it was strange to give watts when it was mostly descent but that is even more amazing. I know Sestriere is an "easy" climb but while I was watching live, Dennis just kept going above 420 watts in the final ascent. After all that he had already done.

Has they removed descents it'd be even more amazing.

Reactions: Red Rick
Thought it was strange to give watts when it was mostly descent but that is even more amazing. I know Sestriere is an "easy" climb but while I was watching live, Dennis just kept going above 420 watts in the final ascent. After all that he had already done.

Has they removed descents it'd be even more amazing.
Velon just excells at giving data that's useless. I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis can hold 360W for hours under different circumstances.

Lets give average wattage when there's descents in it. Velon is so dumb.

Anyway, Dennis almost as fast as Salvodelli in 2000. EPO era time.
Garzelli has the record, not il Falco. That was also stage 20, at the end of the Briancon - Sestriere ITT (over 61min for Savoldelli).
giro-d-italia-2000-stage-20-profile-19daab2a97.jpg

Also the third consecutive hard stage after a Pratonevoso MTF and A Saluzzo - Briancon stage with Agnello and Izoard before the final steel ramp up towards the old town of Briancon.
Back then the Italians really knew how to use the "home field advantage".

Garzelli has the record, not il Falco. That was also stage 20, at the end of the Briancon - Sestriere ITT (over 61min for Savoldelli).
giro-d-italia-2000-stage-20-profile-19daab2a97.jpg

Also the third consecutive hard stage after a Pratonevoso MTF and A Saluzzo - Briancon stage with Agnello and Izoard before the final steel ramp up towards the old town of Briancon.
Back then the Italians really knew how to use the "home field advantage".
And once again the lead changed on the TT, as Casagrande lost the Giro to Garzelli.

For a more accurate power estimation: Link to tweet

ammattipyöräily
@ammattipyoraily

Strava segment of Jebel Hafeet steep 7.23 km says Emanuel Buchmann at 376 W / 6.06 W/kg for 20:14. Tadej Pogacar 19:29, 0:45 faster than Buchmann. Assuming Pogacar is 4 kg heavier, then he produced 6.27 W/kg. 0.21 W/kg higher than Buchmann's W/kg. Gap was 0:48 at finish. #UAETour

10:06 pm · 23 Feb 2021·

So almost 6.3 W/kg for 20 minutes.

Reactions: webvan
Power numbers cannot tell you with accuracy if someone is doing something wrong. But it can tell you if the trends in cycling are going back to the old days. I just hope that some coaches and doctors are not taking advantage of the Covid situation to go full "pedal to the metal". UCI has been inept in the past, but surely they understood that the Armstrong situation is not good for anybody. They should start trying to control things if indeed something is going on in the peloton.

TRENDING THREADS