• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
There is no way those number are correct. that would be about 6.7 w/kg for 34 min. No way they were going that fast.

Wikipedia gives Rogers weight as 75 kg. 440 W/75 kg = 5,87 W/KG - not 6,7. Of cause if those were his best numbers ever I doubt he'd have won a WC in TT in the EPO era. let alone 3.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I doubt that 75 kg. Not this year. That is a hefty weight to climb at. I bet he started the Tour below 70.

Sky kg or normal kg? The former tend to fluctuate considering which argument needs to be made (and yes, that goes for all sides in the discussion).

Just asking. ;)

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Was this Q&A ever posted.

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=6440

Can you talk, for example, about the day to Morzine in the Dauphiné? It was billed as what could have been an absolutely fantastic stage but really you guys tapped out such a tempo that it killed off any chance of attacks. There were some guys who were only just able to hold on while going up the climb… but at the top Cadel went on the attack. What do you make of that tactic?
Did you have your SRM on the bike that day?

Michael Rogers: “Yeah.”

Going up the climb, what sort of power were you generating?

Michael Rogers: “We did [the Joux Plane climb] in 34:50, I think, and I averaged 440 Watts. That was one of my highest every power reports.”

---
Also

Michael Rogers: “I’ve seen a five to seven per cent increase in my general threshold power.
From page 78:

halamala said:
Did you have your SRM on the bike that day?

Michael Rogers: “Yeah.”

Going up the climb, what sort of power were you generating?

Michael Rogers: “We did [the Joux Plane climb] in 34:50, I think, and I averaged 440 Watts. That was one of my highest every power reports.”

And what about Bradley? Do you know his equivalent?

Michael Rogers: “No.

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=6440

---

According to my calculation

Michael Rogers

Criterium du Dauphine 2012, Stage 6, Final Climb, Col de Joux Plane

Elevation / Höhenmeter [m] : 981 m
Distance / Streckenlänge [Km] : 11.7 Km
Time in seconds / Fahrzeit in Sekunden [sec] : 2136 = 35 min 36 sec = 35:36
Weight rider / Gewicht Fahrer [kg] : 75 kg [TeamSky.com]
Weight bicycle, clothes etc. / Gewicht Fahrrad [kg] : 8 kg

Grade / mittlere Seigung : 8.4 %
Average speed / mittlere Geschwindigkeit : 19.7 Km/h
Total weight / Gesamtgewicht : 83.0 kg

Power : 436.7 Watt
Power / kg : 5.8 Watt / kg

Source: [ http://www.rst.mp-all.de/bergauf.htm ]

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
No way does Rogers weigh 75kg. Everyone knows it's impossible to outclimb the gruppetto dragging around that much weight. Not even Bradley Wiggins, the 4th most talented climber in the wor... sorry, make that 2nd most talented climber in the world since Bert and Andy are doped. Not even he could drop the autobus at 76 kg. It can't be done, man. It just can't!

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I might be confused here but didn't Wiggins state that Rogers was putting out a steady 450W on the climbs? If Rogers weighs 72kg then that's 6.25W/kg which looks to be in doping territory. Moreover, they were doing this day in day out.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
biker jk said:
I might be confused here but didn't Wiggins state that Rogers was putting out a steady 450W on the climbs? If Rogers weighs 72kg then that's 6.25W/kg which looks to be in doping territory. Moreover, they were doing this day in day out.

they weren't doing 6.2W/kg day after day, have a look at some of the stage power analysis

Just as an addendum, without going into the power outputs, to the keen observer (which I am in Rogers case as I'm an Aussie), Rogers is substantially thinner now than he has ever been. I would estimate about 69kg.

Without bothering to actually source the quote he said after stage 7 (perhaps to Anthony Tan??) that he was the lightest he had been since he was 16 years old. Even taking into account exaggerations and dim memories of youth, that still equates with real life observations.

The other thing to realise with rider weights (and height for that matter), they NEVER admit their true weight, its a closely guarded secret as it gives competitors an advantage if they can compute your potential outputs. Sorry to be a bit vague but I'm sure you can find it, Ashenden went into some detail with the Lance 2005 EPO re-test interview, in the bit talking about the 1990s power figures published by the Professor (Grieves??), and how he did not believe the weights and height published were true. In fact I seem to recall Ashenden even querying the "post cancer weight loss" statements that were happily touted to explain his new found climbing ability.

sittingbison said:
Just as an addendum, without going into the power outputs, to the keen observer (which I am in Rogers case as I'm an Aussie), Rogers is substantially thinner now than he has ever been. I would estimate about 69kg.

Without bothering to actually source the quote he said after stage 7 (perhaps to Anthony Tan??) that he was the lightest he had been since he was 16 years old. Even taking into account exaggerations and dim memories of youth, that still equates with real life observations.

The other thing to realise with rider weights (and height for that matter), they NEVER admit their true weight, its a closely guarded secret as it gives competitors an advantage if they can compute your potential outputs. Sorry to be a bit vague but I'm sure you can find it, Ashenden went into some detail with the Lance 2005 EPO re-test interview, in the bit talking about the 1990s power figures published by the Professor (Grieves??), and how he did not believe the weights and height published were true. In fact I seem to recall Ashenden even querying the "post cancer weight loss" statements that were happily touted to explain his new found climbing ability.

Well, there are some pretty interesting "ifs" here, but if Rogers did average 440w on longer climbs and if he now weighs 69kg (and not 75), then that is around 6.4 w/kg. We know the weight listed for Wiggins is 69kg and didn't he also make comments about riding climbs at 440w or 460w?

Interesting that so many on the team were able to so precisely dial in the weight loss, improved power, improved recovery, peaking, and not getting ill from such weight loss (hello ... no immune system), all at the same time. Damn that is some great planning. Hot diggity!

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Here's the Wiggins quote on power output.

"This week, we were riding tempo at the front on some of these climbs, at 450 watts, and Michael Rogers is the man with all the numbers, the road captain," he said.

"Someone would attack and Mick would say 'just leave him, he can't sustain (it), it's not possible to sustain.

"If we're riding at 450 watts, someone is going to have to sustain 500 watts to stay away on a 20-minute climb, which is only possible if you have another couple of litres of blood."

"That's the reality of it."

biker jk said:

"This week, we were riding tempo at the front on some of these climbs, at 450 watts, and Michael Rogers is the man with all the numbers, the road captain," he said.

"Someone would attack and Mick would say 'just leave him, he can't sustain (it), it's not possible to sustain.

"If we're riding at 450 watts, someone is going to have to sustain 500 watts to stay away on a 20-minute climb, which is only possible if you have another couple of litres of blood."

So 450w for 20+ min climbs is tempo! Ouch

wannab said:
Why does no-one above posts the duration and average W when they randomly state numbers. These mean nothing without.

Well Rogers stated an average of 440w on the climbs, and was vague in terms of the length of the climbs, but certainly given he was referring to a fairly major HC climb in the Dauphine, you can get the idea it was for 40+ minutes.

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
biker jk said:

This is interesting to me and watching the final TT made me think. Much was made of Froome's strength v. Wiggins (stage 7), Froome dropping Wiggins (stage 11) or Wiggins not being able to hold Froome's wheel (stage 18). But Wiggins seems to have paced the whole tour more or less as a TT (much to my displeasure given how boring this is to watch).

Now obviously Froome is a better climber than Wiggins, but it looks to me like Wiggins always knew he had to stay as much out of the red - for the whole tour - as possible to be in a good position to smash that last 54k TT. That was always in his mind as absolutely the best opportunity for him to really make time during this tour.

Regardless of what kind of medical attention has put Sky in such a dominant position, you have to concede that in terms of their battle plan for this tour, it's been impressive to watch on that level, even if the GC racing has been boring most of the time.

Ripper said:
... if Rogers did average 440w on longer climbs and if he now weighs 69kg (and not 75), then that is around 6.4 w/kg. We know the weight listed for Wiggins is 69kg and didn't he also make comments about riding climbs at 440w or 460w?

wannab said:
Why does no-one above posts the duration and average W when they randomly state numbers. These mean nothing without.

Michael Rogers said:
“We did [the Joux Plane climb] in 34:50, I think, and I averaged 440 Watts. That was one of my highest every power reports....I’ve seen a five to seven per cent increase in my general threshold power.

Brad Wiggins said:
"This week, we were riding tempo at the front on some of these climbs, at 450 watts, and Michael Rogers is the man with all the numbers, the road captain. Someone would attack and Mick would say 'just leave him, he can't sustain (it), it's not possible to sustain. If we're riding at 450 watts, someone is going to have to sustain 500 watts to stay away on a 20-minute climb, which is only possible if you have another couple of litres of blood."

Ivan Basso said:
“Look. It’s the same discussion as always, it’s like watching the Tour when Lance [Armstrong] or [Miguel] Indurain raced. You could try to attack, get ahead, but then what are you going to do? Just to have a laugh? If he [Wiggins] goes as they have been, where Richie Porte is pulling and you are on the wheel pushing 420 watts, then explain to me, where are you going to go?"

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Whats with the blood bag comment from Brad?

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ripper said:
So 450w for 20+ min climbs is tempo! Ouch

when they say they are riding tempo it doesn't necessary means at they are riding in that zone they may have been riding at endurance pace, FTP whetever but they call it tempo

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
why didn't they bring Flecha instead of Rogers? last year he had an FTP of 6.1 w/kg surely with a couple blood bags he would do much better than Rogers haha

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
biker jk said:

Clearly the Tour is more human now.

The extra blood comment is just weird. Is he saying, "if you beat us you're doping"? :eek:

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Didnt Wiggins say in an interview he's at 71kg?Sounds more realistic, guy is 190cm tall and he doesnt look thaaaat skinny(except for his legs).
Andy Schleck is 4cm smaller, looks much skinnier and is listed at 68kg, no way Wiggins is just 1kg heavier.

TRENDING THREADS