• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pozzovivo = pots-of-epo

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MADRAZO said:
It does not prove anything, but the last time he was this strong in the Giro was 2008, when the whole CSF team seemed juiced up (Sella for sure, and also Baliani most likely).

But ofcourse he has always been a great talent and is built to be a great climber, but it is hard not to be a bit suspicious, with the teams past.

Well said.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
MADRAZO said:
It does not prove anything, but the last time he was this strong in the Giro was 2008, when the whole CSF team seemed juiced up (Sella for sure, and also Baliani most likely).

But ofcourse he has always been a great talent and is built to be a great climber, but it is hard not to be a bit suspicious, with the teams past.

Fair point but there's not a huge amount to go on. Dunno what reason was given for his sucking last year (illness, anyone?), but the year before he was out of the race before it even began due to harsh weather conditions (as I see it) and abandoned. In 2009 he didn't start. End of the day, noone is even saying he's clean as a whistle, the issue is that cycle chic has apparently worked herself into a frenzy over a percieved jump in performance that doesn't really exist, although in all likelihood she/he is just trolling.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Well said.

Post of the year!

Instead of replying to one of the many points put to you, you instead just quote one supportive post. How about you reply to some of the others rather than just this foaming-at-the-mouth trolling?

Cycle Chic said:
Was todays performance expected then ? just a normal day at the office for our diminutive Colombian/Italian ?

just keep digging that hole...............

you keep posting the same rhetoric and making the same accusations, yet you do not seem to have taken the time to consider the replies on here, let alone even read them.

look at his Palmares, as stated by me and the others, he consistently improved year on year, he has finished top ten on GC at Giro before. this is not some kind of revelation or breakthrough performace. it is simply a very talented climber riding at peak of his form and doing what he does best.

taiwan said:
Fair point but there's not a huge amount to go on. Dunno what reason was given for his sucking last year (illness, anyone?), but the year before he was out of the race before it even began due to harsh weather conditions (as I see it) and abandoned. In 2009 he didn't start. End of the day, noone is even saying he's clean as a whistle, the issue is that cycle chic has apparently worked herself into a frenzy over a percieved jump in performance that doesn't really exist, although in all likelihood she/he is just trolling.

He crashed on the Middelburg stage in 2010 and got ill in week 2. He crashed out last year.

But yes, the main crux of the issue is what I posted a couple of pages ago here:

Libertine Seguros said:
The insinuation that Pozzovivo is doping isn't exactly an earth-shatterer. But the implication that he has come out of nowhere is highly disrespectful.

As I have also said elsewhere on the thread, only somebody who hasn't watched any racing in Italy in the last five years would contend Pozzovivo's come out of nowhere. And I'm pretty sure Cycle Chic will be aware of him - he did pretty well in Tirreno Adriatico 2010, and Carlton Kirby did commentary for Eurosport on that.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Ryder gets a free pass?

I'm Canadian, so I'd love to believe Ryder's success is a logical progression. The history of the sport would dictate otherwise. I declare my cynicism in advance....

Unfortunately I have been unable to get the internet until now - otherwise I would have posted on saturday evening after the Stelvio.

Yes I was totally wrong and Pozzo did not blast away from them all and gain 3 minutes.

Never accuse me of admitting when i got it wrong and apologising.:):)

nb. i dont even know what trolling is - and i have beter things to do than wind people up on Cycling News forums.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Unfortunately I have been unable to get the internet until now - otherwise I would have posted on saturday evening after the Stelvio.

Yes I was totally wrong and Pozzo did not blast away from them all and gain 3 minutes.

Never accuse me of admitting when i got it wrong and apologising.:):)

nb. i dont even know what trolling is - and i have beter things to do than wind people up on Cycling News forums.

No he may have been blasting away from the leaders, but he paid dearly by the stages' ends. He lost time on the leaders on the Stelvio stage, as well as the previous stages too. That suggests that he has the jump, which one would expect for a pure climber, but lacks the power to make it stick like Pantani did.

In a similar way, you are able to make bold sweeping statements but lack the ability to support those statements when they're challenged!

Pozzovivo - ag2r

So Pozzovivo's performances in the Giro did exactly what I said - got him some valuable offers and has signed with AG2R. His juicing did him some good.

Being happy in Italy with a home team didnt happen did it :rolleyes:

Pozzovivo Team Leader

Libertine Seguros said:
He's finished his PhD now.

ahhh so that explains the headlines in L'Equipe
does it....he's 30, finished studying and now decides to sign the Big Time and be a Team Leader.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Pozzovivo-un-bon-choix/347900

Pozzovivo: 'A good Choix »
Recruited for his climbing, Domenico Pozzovivo (30 years old) arrives at AG2R with maximum ambitions. "I can handle the leadership role," says one who has the Giro line of sight this season.

Tour of Lombardy, Liege bastogne liege, Tour of Trentino, the Giro and the Vuelta. !!!

I think a few here can eat their words after I started this thread. I was berated for saying his Giro performance was 'not normal'.

Cycle Chic said:
ahhh so that explains the headlines in L'Equipe
does it....he's 30, finished studying and now decides to sign the Big Time and be a Team Leader.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Pozzovivo-un-bon-choix/347900

Tour of Lombardy, Liege bastogne liege, Tour of Trentino, the Giro and the Vuelta. !!!

I think a few here can eat their words after I started this thread. I was berated for saying his Giro performance was 'not normal'.

Why, because he's going to lead Ag2r in a bunch of races where:
a) he has led successfully in the past (Giro, Trentino, Lombardia)
b) the team doesn't really have any front-line contender and he has some decent prospects (good results in Tirreno-Adriatico and hilly Italian one-day races)(Liège)
c) he hasn't had the chance to race before but would be Ag2r's best option (Vuelta)

It's not like he's going out there saying he's going to win. He's going to lead the team. A team that in the last couple of years has been led in these races by Nicolas Roche, John Gadret and Rinaldo Nocentini. It's not like he's suddenly vaulted over guys like Nibali and Schleck and is a team leader at Sky, or Radioshack, or Movistar. He's a team leader at Ag2r. It's not THAT big a step up from Colnago-CSF.

I don't owe you an apology for anything, and I have no words on my plate at the moment. Pozzovivo may be doping, or he may not. It doesn't matter: the 2012 Giro was unequivocally not "not normal" for Domenico Pozzovivo. It was exactly what a lot of us expected from Domenico Pozzovivo in fact: as long as he didn't get ill, he'd be a great climber some days, the best of everybody at times, but not consistent enough to threaten the podium overall. That is exactly the kind of rider Domenico Pozzovivo has been ever since 2008. Look at the guy's results 2010-12. The only real difference in 2012 is that he didn't crash out of the Giro or get sick and have to DNF.

The critical posts you got for starting this thread were, for the most part, not for implying Pozzovivo doped. He rode for CSF-Navigare in that infamous 2008 Giro, let's not forget. They were, at least for people like Parrulo and myself, for implying that he came out of nowhere, that he was a nobody, and that was absolutely ludicrous for somebody who'd placed 41st and 36th in the world on CQ ranking for 2010 and 2011 respectively.

Cycle Chic said:
isnt Colnago CSF a Continental Team as opposed to AG2R which is a Pro Tour team ?

Pro Continental team. And not much difference in quality either. AG2R was in near the bottom in the World Tour Rankings.

You better watch some road racing first, before try and ranting about riders doping and Cycling teams.

If you watch cycling you would know that Pozzovivo is the logical choice to lead Ag2R at the Giro.

I stand in good company

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-and-comment/comment-the-ascent-of-pozzovivo/

Comment: the ascent of Pozzovivo

.. but his performance was super-sized. It was one of those climbing performances that saw lots of journalists scurrying for information that would explain what they had just witnessed.....
Impressive! But this being Italy, it seemed a bit too impressive for some observers to simply applaud and move on to the next stage. There were even some of his peers in the gruppo who smiled and pointed out that Pozzovivo’s rhyming nickname is ‘Positivo’

And now here comes the science. An Italian Cycling Federation physiologist, Fabrizio Tacchino, calculated that Pozzovivo’s VAM (velocita ascensionale media) [average climbing speed] on the Punta Veleno climb was close to the limit of what has been calculated for other world-class riders. Ironically the VAM equation had first been elaborated and used by Dr Michele Ferrari who used it to calculate his client riders’ form. ....
According to those credible Italian sources, Pozzovivo’s VAM on the Punto Veleno climb was 1,886 m/h and he managed to generate an average power output on the 8.5km climb of 329 watts or 6.1 watts/kg for the 29-25 minute duration. Not quite the 6.8watts/kg the late cycling coach Aldo Sassi estimated Marco Pantani was expressing in his heyday, or the 6.7 that Lance Armstrong’s former coach Ferrari claimed was essential to win the Tour.
But even 6.1 watts per kilo is a big number. Sassi was reported in the New York Times in 2010 to say that in the entire 2009 Giro, only one rider, winner Denis Menchov, produced more than 6.0 watts/kg on a climb. Contador and Andy Schleck were estimated on the Science of Sport website at 5.9 watts/kg on the Tourmalet at the end of the 2010 Tour, although that was a longer effort than Pozzovivo’s.

For the nth time, what got you the ridicule in this thread was not the suggestion that Pozzovivo dopes: that would hardly be earth-shattering news.

However, the implication that he came out of nowhere, like he started doping for a new contract in 2012, is highly ignorant and insulting to a guy who's been a top level cyclist for four or five years now. If he was doping in 2012, then there's a good chance he was doping just the same in 2008, in 2009, in 2010 and in 2011. But you came steaming in there conflating him with Tiernan-Locke and Froome. I know the guy is so small he might be hard to spot, but if you watched any Italian races for the last five years you'd have known all about him before the 2012 Giro, and have known that his 2012 Giro performance wasn't anything new for him.

If he's doping, he's doped all along. This would not surprise me in the slightest. He rode the 2008 Giro for CSF-Navigare and finished in the top 10.

TRENDING THREADS