• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Cycling Manager - anyone played it

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tuarts said:
Graeme Brown was just one simple, example. I'm not going to list them all nor am I going to play the game listing all the things I think wrong with the DB. He's list at 77SP + 80SP in this db, remember its PCM'10 with pcmdaily's '11 db. I know what other stats have an effect on sprinting but the 2 main ones are sprinting and acceleration, which is why I pointed them out. Really, as I said in the post its more likely just my knowledge now that means I can make these comments, I certainly didn't have the same cycling know-how in '07 and sometimes with these games it can frustrate you, which is why I don't play FM as the team I'm a fan of. :D

I was the same as you when I got really into cycling by following everything. Up to 2008/2009 I couldn't live with the PCM stats and was never satisfied, not even with all the work I put in myself.

Best thing is just to let go, edit what you really can't stand, and remember it's a game. It can never reflect real life since Cycling is simply too unpredictable for that. In real cycling somebody can go from being a 68 climber to a 80 climber like Froome last year (to put it in the lamest terms). The game is too limited to account for such jumps and also the opposite (regressions like Cunego, etc)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I was the same as you when I got really into cycling by following everything. Up to 2008/2009 I couldn't live with the PCM stats and was never satisfied, not even with all the work I put in myself.

Best thing is just to let go, edit what you really can't stand, and remember it's a game. It can never reflect real life since Cycling is simply too unpredictable for that. In real cycling somebody can go from being a 68 climber to a 80 climber like Froome last year (to put it in the lamest terms). The game is too limited to account for such jumps and also the opposite (regressions like Cunego, etc)
One thing I always thought PCM should do is have the palmares of a rider affect how good he can get. Not that one fluke victory should suddenly turn a rider into a GT contender, but how good or bad a rider's season was should have more of an effect on everything. Some of those boosts and penalties might only apply throughout the duration of the current stage race, while some would be permanent. I don't know, something like that.

i think stats for base form (as in how strong a rider is on his basic form which should be btw 75-85 i guess), consistency as in how often said rider has bad days and stuff, and bike handling skills which would effect how often a rider falls.

this way you could give a guy like anton it's proper mountain value which imo is just below andy and above guys like evans, menchov and sanchez but since he would have lower grades on those 3 stats he wouldn't be dominating the mountains much like he doesn't in real life. :eek:

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to sign any new riders?

In third season and when I right-click there's no option to sign?

You may have your quota of 30 riders which can't be exceeded. Or the riders you are trying to sign may already be under contract elsewhere. Best thing to do is left-click the rider and try Contact in there, rather than right-clicking.

will10 said:
You may have your quota of 30 riders which can't be exceeded. Or the riders you are trying to sign may already be under contract elsewhere. Best thing to do is left-click the rider and try Contact in there, rather than right-clicking.

lol, I don't even know where to contact them from in the rider profile menu, always just right-clicked :eek: Although I can sign U23s.

It doesn't let me contact even Free Riders or those with no team for next season, my team isn't full though.

Ferminal said:
lol, I don't even know where to contact them from in the rider profile menu, always just right-clicked :eek: Although I can sign U23s.

It doesn't let me contact even Free Riders or those with no team for next season, my team isn't full though.

Ah ok, I found it. So it's not on the default page of the profile :rolleyes:

Seems to be a sponsor problem, Lampre contract ends at the end of the season though I have a decent secondary sponsor do you need a primary?

Parrulo said:
this way you could give a guy like anton it's proper mountain value which imo is just below andy and above guys like evans, menchov and sanchez but since he would have lower grades on those 3 stats he wouldn't be dominating the mountains much like he doesn't in real life. :eek:

I think you mean Rujano. He fits the above description well, but Anton (igor?), just below Schleck :confused:

I have asked this before: I strongly suspect that the answer is no, but now that this thread is more active, I might get an answer this time...

Is it possible to import a career from one version of the game (PCM 2010 in my case) into the gameplay of a later version? I'm sort of intrigued to have a go at PCM 11 or 12 when it comes out, but I've invested countless hours in a career spanning several seasons, and signed riders with a view to their potential in 2 or three years' time, and would be loath to abandon that...

Armchair cyclist said:
I have asked this before: I strongly suspect that the answer is no, but now that this thread is more active, I might get an answer this time...

Is it possible to import a career from one version of the game (PCM 2010 in my case) into the gameplay of a later version? I'm sort of intrigued to have a go at PCM 11 or 12 when it comes out, but I've invested countless hours in a career spanning several seasons, and signed riders with a view to their potential in 2 or three years' time, and would be loath to abandon that...

It's not possible. Unless you are prepared to spend many, many hours fiddling with editors.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:

The only way to do it would be to spend a tediously long time editing, suspect it's not worth it.

EDIT: Damn too slow :D

The Hitch said:
I think you mean Rujano. He fits the above description well, but Anton (igor?), just below Schleck :confused:

Don't underrate Anton now. In top form he is just at that level of climbing. He just rarely hits his best level.

This is a big problem for DB makers to rate. I always went for high climbing stats for Rujano, Anton, Soler and other inconsistent climbers, but I gave them far lower endurance/resistance/recuperation than a real stage-racer.
This way they'd win mountain stages and the occasional weak 1-week tour, but fail in bigger races (unless they find ideal courses and hit the right form)

Parrulo said:
but doesn't lowering their endurance lowers they ability on long though stages and classics? which in anton's case isn't realistic at all.

that's why i think they should creat more stats just like they did with the prologue one.

No it's not that bad if their cl/hill is high enough.

btw anton never did that well in LBL (one edition) FW moreso.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i see, i still think a consistency stat would be very helpful tho :eek:

The odd thing is that the game already has good days and bad days, would simply be a matter of giving it a stat. On an aside, I just got a +5 for Porte in the final TT in the Giro. He was flying.

Parrulo said:
i see, i still think a consistency stat would be very helpful tho :eek:

the problem is for every stat you have to program many variables in AI behaviour inrace. So introducing a new one isn't easy and every year they only have less than a full year to make the game. I can tell you it's extremely difficult for them.

The exception being when they introduced the new graphics engine they had 2 years to work on it while another team did PCM 2009. But they don't get that chance each time.

Cyanide itself sets their standard real high and I can tell you they are real cycling fans. Their lead programmer now came from the community. The game project leader came from the community as well. They are trying real hard but they are simply not a giant company who can spent unlimited resources and complete everything perfectly.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
the problem is for every stat you have to program many variables in AI behaviour inrace. So introducing a new one isn't easy and every year they only have less than a full year to make the game. I can tell you it's extremely difficult for them.

The exception being when they introduced the new graphics engine they had 2 years to work on it while another team did PCM 2009. But they don't get that chance each time.

Cyanide itself sets their standard real high and I can tell you they are real cycling fans. Their lead programmer now came from the community. The game project leader came from the community as well. They are trying real hard but they are simply not a giant company who can spent unlimited resources and complete everything perfectly.

What they really need IMO is a year off releasing in July, even if they spent two years without a release to iron everything out. The pressure of redeveloping every 8-10 months doesn't help the game quality.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

very understandable, i guess i am too used to a childhood of playing football manager :eek:

Parrulo said:
very understandable, i guess i am too used to a childhood of playing football manager :eek:

And FM ofcourse has a giant market they can cater to, with football being no1 world sport. They get a lot more income and their team is probably 5 times as big.

Cycling is more of a niche sport and Cyanide mainly thrive of the Benelux community.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyway - PCM12 pre-ordered :)

Found my Cym2 disc yesterday :eek: Very tempted to get it installed and have get some retro play done.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
That had some exciting racing going on with leaders attacking on the first climb or even on the flat before the first climb :D

ah yes, you'd get a group of all the favourites disappearing off up the road on the first climb :D

Cym4 was my fave for years and years

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:

Well it was done by one of the mods and another user on PCM daily, but it involves a lot, lot of time editing.

TRENDING THREADS