• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Protour licenses

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
With the recent announcement of Fly V applying for a protour license, which other teams will get a license for the protour and automatic entry to many races throughout the season?

Teams who are applying:
- BMC
- Fly V Australia (along with another major sponsor)
- Team Schleck/Luxembourg
- Vacansoleil???
- Saur Sojasun????

Can someone please help me out if any others are applying for licenses!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
IIRC BBox want to get a spot back in the Pro Tour. I think Cervelo should be made to be in the PT, they get invites to the vast majority of the races, so they are Pro Tour, without being Pro Tour.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
IIRC BBox want to get a spot back in the Pro Tour. I think Cervelo should be made to be in the PT, they get invites to the vast majority of the races, so they are Pro Tour, without being Pro Tour.

I don't see why they would bother. The only advantage to the PT license is getting guaranteed invites, which isn't something they really need to worry about, so why spend the money and jump through all the hoops?

Then you have a 4 year PT team that chooses to send their leftovers to PT events, post July, while their big names climb off, or ride in local events.

The 18-point system is the UCI's attempt to re-value the PT and it's participating teams.
They want the PT to become a gentlemen's club; members only. Guests will be strictly limited and new members, elected on Pat's whim.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
With the recent announcement of Fly V applying for a protour license, which other teams will get a license for the protour and automatic entry to many races throughout the season?

Teams who are applying:
- BMC
- Fly V Australia (along with another major sponsor)
- Team Schleck/Luxembourg
- Vacansoleil???
- Saur Sojasun????

Can someone please help me out if any others are applying for licenses!

My opinion on who should get PT status...

Team sch:
nope. even if they have great riders like the schlecks, I hate that a new team can just buy their way into the PT. I felt the same with sky and radioshack
Fly V: Although I think Aust. needs a team, and deserves a team in PT, i think they should ride PC first, similar to schlecks, I'd like to see themselves prove worthy first.
BMC: I think they (excluding cuddles) have under performed, especially in the classics, but I think they are PT worthy.
Vasc: I think they have done well, performed in PC and have done well in PT races at times. They probably did better in PT last year, but were unlucky with invites. with more money being splashed around for riders, they are worthy also. Signing RR if true, could harm them.. also if the t. dekker rumors are true.
Saur Sojasun: I'm not sure they even want PT?

Milram and footon should get relegated... obviously milram will, as they will be no more it seems. Footon's situation makes things complicated also.

anyway I'd rather even less PT teams than there atm. 18... too much. Would rather like 12 places and more wild cards. :D
btw: Relegation and promotion ftw.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
My opinion on who should get PT status...

Team sch:
nope. even if they have great riders like the schlecks, I hate that a new team can just buy their way into the PT. I felt the same with sky and radioshack
Fly V: Although I think Aust. needs a team, and deserves a team in PT, i think they should ride PC first, similar to schlecks, I'd like to see themselves prove worthy first.
BMC: I think they (excluding cuddles) have under performed, especially in the classics, but I think they are PT worthy.
Vasc: I think they have done well, performed in PC and have done well in PT races at times. They probably did better in PT last year, but were unlucky with invites. with more money being splashed around for riders, they are worthy also. Signing RR if true, could harm them.. also if the t. dekker rumors are true.
Saur Sojasun: I'm not sure they even want PT?

Milram and footon should get relegated... obviously milram will, as they will be no more it seems. Footon's situation makes things complicated also.

I agree completely.

Have we heard more of Footon's Geox sponsorship?

Does the UCI have a limit on how many ProTour spots are available?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wont Schlecks team automatically get into any race the Schlecks want, on the basis that the team has, well, the Schlecks on it?

My understanding is that if they don't get a PT license, they'll have to pay a fee out of the 18-points credit system to enter any PT race they are invited. What I have not found (after reading the thread where this was announced) is any indication of whether they can earn more credit in case they get good results in those PT races they enter.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, there are currently 18 Protour teams and the limit is 20 (unless that has changed from last year.

Of those 18 teams, Milram will be gone. Even with their new sponsorship, unless Footon get some decent riders I can see them dropping out. Therefore, I expect 4 places max up for grabs next year.

I expect BMC and Team Schleck to get one. Vaconsoleil should get one but given their ambition but the signing of Ricco might affect them.

That means 1 spot is available and I don't think anyone else (unless Cervelo if they want one) is deserving of one.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
footon won't be relegated as they will become geox and have a huge budget to invest in great riders.

before anyone else says anything let's clear out who's pt licenses are expiring??

and aren't uci going to only allow 16 pt teams next year?? or 18?? there are 19 pt teams this year right?? I doubt we will see any new pt teams next year, they have to stay pct because lack of room

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
In terms of Footon, Geox will obviously take over that license, rather than taking out a new one. Money being the key differentiator in cycling over results it just takes a team to have enough money and they will get a license... I bet the UCI would accommodate a 21st team if there was enough money at play.

On Vacansoleil, is this not a "UniBet" descendant?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
there won't be more than 18 pt teams next year this is a rule agreed upon with aso. so it all comes down to budget and who's pt licenses are expiring?? how is fdjeux and euskaltel license?? they have pretty low budget for pt team

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well both Robbie mcewen and mick Rogers have been linked to Fly V Australia. If they can get them and some others they will be a good little squad but maybe protour and tdf might be a bit too much too soon for them.

Fly V have said they have another big sponsor which they will announce soon. They have been talking with some european top pros also. Exciting times for Australian cycling.
Link is here.

Ryo Hazuki said:
there won't be more than 18 pt teams next year this is a rule agreed upon with aso. so it all comes down to budget and who's pt licenses are expiring?? how is fdjeux and euskaltel license?? they have pretty low budget for pt team
Expiring:
Astana
Caisse d'Epargne
Euskaltel-Euskadi
FDJ
Footon-Servetto-Fuji
Liquigas-Doimo
HTC-Columbia
Katusha
Milram

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Expiring:
Astana
Caisse d'Epargne
Euskaltel-Euskadi
FDJ
Footon-Servetto-Fuji
Liquigas-Doimo
HTC-Columbia
Katusha
Milram

milram is out, fdj will stay in cuz they are only french team I think?

imo put euskaltel, fdjeux and milram out and renew the others.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
About the 18 pt rule or whatever: Is it official already? I don't see why the race organizers would go with it.

because race organisers want to give out more wildcards. although it now changes since only 17 teams have startright for their races now

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
milram is out, fdj will stay in cuz they are only french team I think?

imo put euskaltel, fdjeux and milram out and renew the others.

ag2r

Ryo Hazuki said:
footon won't be relegated as they will become geox and have a huge budget to invest in great riders.

before anyone else says anything let's clear out who's pt licenses are expiring??

and aren't uci going to only allow 16 pt teams next year?? or 18?? there are 19 pt teams this year right?? I doubt we will see any new pt teams next year, they have to stay pct because lack of room

There are 18 currently. I don't believe the number will succeed this.

Ag2r-La Mondiale (2012)
Astana (2010)
Caisse d'Epargne (2010)
Euskaltel-Euskadi (2010)

FDJ (2010)
Footon-Servetto-Fuji (2010)
Garmin-Transitions (2011)
Lampre (2013)
Liquigas-Doimo (2010)
Quick Step (2011)
Rabobank (2012)
Omega Pharma-Lotto (2011)
Team HTC-Columbia (2010)
Team Katusha (2010)
Team Milram (2010)

Team RadioShack (2013)
Team Saxo Bank (2011)
Team Sky (2013)

therefore if there is to be only 18 teams, and only milram loses its spot than only 1 spot is up. Knowing the uci the schlecks will get it. I rate vasc. little to no chance.

I really don't think FDJ should have a PT license either... Other than footon, they are the lowest team in PT rankings (Vasc. and BMC, although not in PT have more points)
They are a little better in terms of CQ (true rankings) at 18th place... but still below vasc. (but just slightly above bmc)

UCI Pro tour rankings

CQ Rankings

Is the PT going to be 18 teams next year? Because if you take away Milram there's only gonna be one space. Are Euskaltel still planning to drop down though?

Vacansoleil, BMC or the Schleck team are the only ones I can see getting in really. Thought the Fly V thing was a joke tbh. They should just try for ProConti.

TRENDING THREADS