• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Rabobank open investigation into Luis-Leon Sanchez"

The AEA (Spanish Anti-Doping Agency) sent the info regarding Del Moral and Celaya to the prosecutor's office. About Martí and the other Spaniards involved, the article says it (presumably the AEA, but it's ambiguous) is supposed to review their role in the whole mess, but it doesn't say an enquiry has officially been launched.

Quick translation:

It's not just the the Spanish authorities that are are starting an investigation into Luis Leon Sanches. His current squad, team Rabobank is starting it's own investigation into the role of the Spaniard in the USADA-report. "He will have to explain to us what happened," spokesperson Richard Plugge announced to Wielerflits during the announcement of the parcours of the Tour de France 2013.

After the report was made public on october 10th the bank-sponsored team first had to deal with the confession of Levi Leipheimer. "Two days later, while reading the extra reports we saw Luis Leon Sanchez's name. I called him on the phone as a representative of the team. At that moment he was on holiday at the other side of the word. My call wasn't answered," says Plugge.

From thursday on the team will meet for three days to talk about the future. The Spaniard can tell his story in a meeting with the team management. Sanchez is suspected to have participated in a training camp with the controversial doping doctor Ferrari while he was racing for Caisse d’Epargne.

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The Spanish Anti-Doping Agency already launched an investigation into both Sanchez and Rubiera, apparently.
Plus Dr García del Moral, Dr Celaya and Mr Martí get mentioned.
I think it's suggesting that AEA (Agencia Estatal Antidopaje) is referring the matter to the Attorney General (Fiscalía General).

Perhaps the combination of national anti-doping agency and national prosecutors working together is going to be the 'new normal' to break though 'peleton Omerta'.

WADA: Testing alone not sufficient to combat doping

World Anti-Doping Code: Article 22.2
Each government will encourage all of its public services or agencies to share information with Anti-Doping Organizations which would be useful in the fight against doping and where to do so would not otherwise be legally prohibited.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, it´s just a PR stunt.

Rabo knew all along about Rasmussen´s whereabouts and that he filled wrong location to UCI. It´s Rasmussen´s claim.

Rolf Sørensen were caught during the Giro by a danish journalist while he was out riding his bike, and were asked about a comment regarding Theo de Ruijs (probably spelled it wrong) statement that "medical assistance was accepted on Rabobank as long it was done in a safe manner"
He was Rolf´s manager for 3 years.

Rolf looked like a kid who got caught with his fingers in the cookie jar, caught of guard, looked like one big excuse, saying...if it was safe... ehh I mean....uhmm I don´t wanna talk more about this, it irritates me...I have no more comments, and drove away.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
In het USADA-rapport tegen Lance Armstrong meldde Volodimir Bileka, ook actief in diezelfde US Postal-ploeg waar Armstrong voor reed, dat Rabobank-renner Luis Leon Sanchez met Caisse d'Epargne onder begeleiding van Ferrari op Sankt-Moritz trainde. Rabobank benadrukt dat de Spanjaard niet betrokken was bij dopingpraktijken.

"De bewering van Bileka dat Luis Leon Sanchez in 2007 in St. Moritz trainde klopt. Zijn toenmalige ploeg Caisse d'Epargne trainde in 2007 met Ferrari," aldus persman bij het Nederlandse team Richard Plugge op Twitter. "Maar Sanchez verklaart geen doping noch dopingadviezen te hebben ontvangen," is de Nederlandse persman duidelijk.

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/19999/rabobank-sanchez-kreeg-geen-doping-van-ferrari.html

Bileka told USADA that LL-Cool S and the Caisse d'Epargne team "trained" with Ferrari in St. Moritz in 07.

Rabo press spokesman Richard Plugge admitted that this fact was correct, but stated that LL had declared that he had neither received any doping advice, nor any doping.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/19999/rabobank-sanchez-kreeg-geen-doping-van-ferrari.html

Bileka told USADA that LL-Cool S and the Caisse d'Epargne team "trained" with Ferrari in St. Moritz in 07.

Rabo press spokesman Richard Plugge admitted that this fact was correct, but stated that LL had declared that he had neither received any doping advice, nor any doping.

Hasn't half the Rabo team trained on altitude in St. Moritz in preparation for the TdF?

Robert Gesink, Bauke Mollema (nu actief in de Ronde van Zwitserland) en Luis León Sánchez zijn al lange tijd zeker van een startbewijs, net als de Spanjaarden Carlos Barredo en Juanma Garate. De twee Duitse renners Paul Martens en Grischa Niermann vergezellen de andere vijf tijdens de verkenningen in de Alpen en de hoogtestage bij Sankt Moritz, terwijl Lars Boom op tijd genezen lijkt te zijn van zijn knieblessure. Voor de laatste plek in de Rabobank-ploeg lijken Laurens ten Dam en Maarten Tjallingii de grootste kanshebbers

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1018/Wielren...ourselectie-Rabobank-staat-vrijwel-vast.dhtml

Bala Verde said:
Hasn't half the Rabo team trained on altitude in St. Moritz in preparation for the TdF?

I think that it had been published before summer 2011 that the authorities were tracking Ferrari. Its probably also a good place for training but thanks for the link - hadnt seen that before.

Riders, notably Vinokourov, have also been spotted with Ferrari in nearby Livigno, immediately west of the Stelvio. This rather small region of the Alps is almost ideal for altitude training. If altitude training actually works, that is.

Sylvester said:
... In July 2007, he went to St. Moritz to see Ferrari, who provided him with EPO, to be injected intravenously. Bertolini, Chicchi, Gasparotto and Pellizotti were with him in St. Moritz.

Bertagnolli also recalls seeing Vinokourov and a group of other cyclists with Ferrari in Livigno, 2006. ...

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18784

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:

And he never got any doping advice from Fuentes either. Sanchez was implicated in Puerto also.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
You would have thought that Ferrari being banned by Italian authorities might have been enough for teams to steer clear (as opposed to just individual riders) even without a specific sanction from their governing body. But I guess not, this is cycling after all.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So his time has come....

Imagine if this peeling back the layers had occured in 98 after Festina and co. got caught. Perhaps it would never have been possible in the first place. But now it is on. It is getting a bit more difficult to hide and it is very easy to become a suspect - rightly so.

First result of all this should be the end of stupid comments that we should forget everything we know and move on and that this happened ages ago. Yes Bradley, you sound stupid.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
How was LLS brought up in USADA's report? I didn't read through the whole thing

He was named (I believe by Levi) as one of a host of suspicious characters (Vino, Kash, Popo, Rogers) on a Ferrari training camp.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
You would have thought that Ferrari being banned by Italian authorities might have been enough for teams to steer clear (as opposed to just individual riders) even without a specific sanction from their governing body. But I guess not, this is cycling after all.

Ferrari being "banned" was great for business. Do we really think he hasn't had even more clients/enquiries post-Reasoned Decision? If you wanna be the best...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Ferrari being "banned" was great for business. Do we really think he hasn't had even more clients/enquiries post-Reasoned Decision? If you wanna be the best...

I bet Ferarri pushed his price up after being banned. Probably the best thing that happened to him. Free advertising and what a money maker. He probably gave half of them OJ.