• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Challenge

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage 4: Città della Pieve - Roma, 168km

2afag3r.png

As a brief recap; thus far my Giro has consisted of a 2km mountain prologue, an intermediate stage featuring four laps of the 2013 Worlds circuit in Firenze, and a throwback strade bianche stage. While the competition may be set up in such a way that each individual stage is rated and therefore I'm throwing a lot of points away here, in a real life Giro the riders would surely complain if there were 21 difficult GC challenging stages back to back, and therefore at times I'm cutting back to create something a little more realistic and look to back things up using the Cultural points instead.

And so we come to this: our first flat stage, into the Italian capital and the next of our original Giro hosts to see race action. While it may be tempting to attempt a Roma Maxima type stage, the direction of approach made it rather unreasonable, so we have what is likely to be a pure sprinters' stage. The only climb of the day is unthreatening, averaging just around 5%, and is unlikely to give anything other than an incentive for some week 1 breakaway riders to duel over the potential jersey if anything.

The stage starts in a historic and scenic hilltop city in the easternmost tip of Umbria, Città della Pieve, which until recently was its own diocese and whose history dates back to pre-Roman antiquity, with ancient Etruscan sites surrounding it. Renowned for its multitude of churches and historic architecture it will serve as a nice base to start the stage from.

itinerari.jpg

The stage heads through Umbria and into Lazio, but before that the riders will pass past Orvieto with its scenic cathedral and former papal residence and upon which an ancient Etruscan acropolis was once sited, along with the labyrinthine network of underground tunnels that exist to the present day. The next major stop-off point is another pre-Roman site, Civita Castellana, which lay abandoned for centuries after the pre-Roman settlers were defeated by the Romans themselves, before becoming rebuilt in the middle ages. After this the riders pass through the Parco di Veio, with its dramatic features and scenic backdrop behind which lay the archaeological remains of what had been one of the most important Etruscan cities, eventually falling to the Romans.

Speaking of the Romans, of course, we come to finish in the city they built today, via Prima Porta and the Cimitero Flaminio, Rome's largest cemetery inside which a number of key figures of Italian history are interred. We pass the http://www.thewantedinromecard.com/i/3/800/upload/images/27/auditorium_4.jpg]Auditorium, a symbol of modernist Rome, around the area set up for the 1960 Summer Olympics (indeed the next thing we pass is the Stadio Flaminio); the road race back then was of course for amateurs only, which meant that the Soviet bloc tended to have a lot of successes with cyclists unable to turn pro there; Viktor Kapitonov won the gold, but Italy's Livio Trapè took home silver, which he used as a fulcrum to turn pro, although apart from a 2nd place in Lombardia and an edition of the Giro di Campania he did not develop into the rider the Italians had hoped.

After that we enter Rome proper, for a brief detour around the legendary Castel Sant'Angelo and heading down as far as the Porta San Paolo before we turn back to the north for a sprint finish, just as many others have placed a finish in their Giri, outside the legendary Colosseum which has become more than anything else the icon of Italy for the outside world. It would be wrong not to have Rome on the itinerary even if you hadn't set up the course to include all the original cities like I have and so here we are: the first straightforward stage for the sprinters' teams, but an incredibly iconic finale.

FCO%20Rome%20-%20Colosseum%20from%20Via%20dei%20Fori%20Imperiali%2004%203008x2000.jpg

Re: Re:

Billie said:
Eshnar said:
yes, I agree it would be nice to have a library, but the limit of links for each post is an issue... perhaps we could all link on each stage the post of the following stage? In turn I'll link on the OP the first stage of each participant

I made a small overview of my Giro in my first post in this thread :)

Will update it throughout
awesome :) I linked your overview to the OP. If anybody could do the same, it would be great. In the meantime, I'll link the first stages of each player to the OP.

Re:

barmaher said:
I am having a nighmare trying to get more than three attachments on my overview.

I am spending more time messing around with images and attachments than I am designing routes.

viewtopic.php?p=1796889#p1796889
Why not using just images instead of attachments?

Here are the stage 4 votes!:

Judge 1:
Brullnux T:4/5 C:1/5 (cool little ramps in the end)
Barmaher T:3/5 C:3/5
Gigs_98 T:2/5 C:3/5
Billie T:4/5 C:2/5
(excellent finish)
Finn84 T:5/5 C:1/5 (I was wondering if anybody would throw the Dragone in... awesome)
Libertine T:2/5 C:4/5
Stromeon T:3/5 C:2/5

Judge 2:
Brullnux T:3/5 C:2/5
Barmaher T:4/5 C:3/5
Gigs_98 T:2/5 C:3/5
Billie T:3/5 C:4/5
Finn84 T:4/5 C:2/5
Libertine T:2/5 C:5/5
Stromeon T:5/5 C:4/5

Judge 3:
Brullnux T: 5/5 C: 2/5 (I really like it, it could b an awesome stage to watch)
Barmaher T: 3/5 C: 5/5 (A good stage and cannibal movies are as Italianas it gets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4UIwaZtME)
Gigs_98 T: 2/5 C: 4/5
Billie T: 3/5 C: 3/5
(that could be a nice final)
Finn84 T: 4/5 C: 2/5 (a good early mtf)
Libertine: T: 2/5 C: 3/5
Stromeon T: 4/5 C: 4/5
(That could b a great stage)

GC: we have a tie at the top!
Libertine 86
Stromeon 86
Barmaher 80
Gigs 78
Billie 69
Brullnux 66
Finn 62

Stage 5, Castrovillari - Lamezia Terme, 160 km

nzm8ow.png

Dz0hN08.png

After two tougher days, fifth day of racing is a bit easier. There is early climb (9.1 km 4.9%) in the program before the road goes again to the coast. On a windy day it might be difficult and the pack may be seriously reduced, but in normal case we should be expecting a sprint today. With small uphill towards it, it may be difficult for someone to stay at the front of the group.

Giro d'Italia often has finishing loops around the end and this one has it. While the finish line will be reached only once.

swRYNGw.png

As it can be seen, the uphill towards Lamezia Terme will be run twice. On the first time, the road goes past the town and then turns left, on the second time the road turns right to the street where it finishes.

The two intermediate sprints will be close to the coast. The first place is named Pantana Santa Rosalia Macchia which I felt it was too long to write it to the graphic.

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 5: Jesi - Sarnano (198 km)
EkDkDMEm.png

z3XhRsn.png

The start of my giro was relatively easy but that completely changes with stage 5. We start in Jesi, a city in the west of Ancona which was built by the Umbri, an ancient italian tribe. After the first rather easy 20 kilometers, the climbing starts, with the Poggio San Romualdo, the first 2nd category climb. After a pretty technical descent the riders have to face a false flat section with the only TV of the day, in the middle. Although it is unlikely, it is possible that the bunch is still together at this point, because a team wants the points in Matelica, but its definitely more likely that there is already a break at this point. Actually this false flat section is still about 30 kilometers long after the intermediate sprint, only interrupted by the fourth category climb to La Morca. The third climb of the stage is the second one which is 2nd category. Copogna's average elevation gain isn't that high, but thats mainly because of a little downhill section near the end of the climb, so I think 3rd cat. wouldnt represent the difficulty of the ascent. The next two climbs, the Colle San Benedetto and Sant'Ilario Trebbio are both 3rd category climbs, so no really big highlights but still this first part of the stage could be very crucial. There are no monsters in these 140 km's so there wont be any long range attacks, but putting a really brutal climb in the first part of the stage wouldnt change anything because its the first mountain stage, so there wouldnt be any long range attacks anyways. However with this route a strong team gets the chance to set other riders under pressure because, if a team is weak, riders could already be almost isolated at this point of the stage, although the two hardest ascents are yet to come. I wrote two ascents because the climb is basically the same, only the sides are different. The climb is Sassotetto, a little skiing area, with 3 streets which go up there. The clearly easiest one is my first climb up there. To be honest, in any other bike race I would say, this is a first category climb but the giro categorizes a little bit different so its only second category although there are some seriously steep sections in the middle of the climb. After a technical descent and a very very short flat section the first 1st cat. climb of my giro starts. Although this side of Sassotetto also gets rather flat at the end the first seven kilometers are absolutely brutal. I didnt find any profiles so I made one with Openrunner:
b1wDR6Z.png

Yes, this should cause time gaps, even if nobody attacks some gc riders would have problems to follow on the super steep sections, for sure. After the top the riders have to face the technical descent again, which means that guys like nibali could eventually distance other riders here. After the end of the downhill section the riders arrive in Sarnano, a beautiful town on a hill, in the middle of the nature. Actually this isn't a real downhill finish because the last about 500 meters are uphill again, and if that wouldnt be enough, after such a hard day of racing, these last 0.5 kilometers are cobbled. All in all this is the perfect stage for the first real gc showdown. If riders really go for it the time gaps between the favorites could already be measured in minutes. Especially the steep section on the last climb makes me think that the time gaps might be bigger than in some first mountain stages, we have seen in the recent cycling history (as long as froome didnt participate ;) )

Jesi:
z3BK6i8l.jpg

Sassotetto:
OOD3qlyl.jpg

Sarnano:
kjVlcg6l.jpg

Giro di Barmaher

Stage 5 Salerno to Venafro 195km

So far in the Giro di Barmaher, organisers have given riders alternate easy and difficult stages. After a hard stage yesterday, riders are going to get an easy time of it as they ride along the Amalfi coast, through Sorrento and Napoli to a straightforward finish in Molise, an unspoiled town typical of southern Italy.

As you can see from the profile below, there is just one real climb of interest at the start of the stage, with the overall profile being conducive to a sprint finish in front of the Castello Pandone in Venafro.

After a small transfer in the morning, riders will roll out from Salerno to start the stage. Salerno was the site of the world's first medical university. Riders will go down the famous promenade in the neutral zone.

7277061134_bebd76512d_z.jpg

Next up, the riders will be greeted with the beautiful Amalfi coast. This is a UNESCO world heritage site, and has long been a place to take a loved one for some romantic time.

Depositphotos_12768594_m.jpg

The riders will then cut inland to take the climb up the Via Nastro Azzurro and then down into Sorrento.

I am not going to bore you all with the history and beauty of this stage. All these places are very famous worldwide. Sorrento, Vesuvius (no climb, sorry), the UNESCO world heritage site of the historical centre of Naples (you need to read the history of this amazing city, particularly the squabbles and alliances with Sicily), followed by some real traditional agricultural sites as we go through the olive trees, hazelnut trees and vineyards on the way to the finish in Venafro.

positano-italy.jpg

Fig05.JPG

4234426263_648e2acd7c_b.jpg

cutizzi.jpg

The finish will not be difficult, it will suit the fast men, and will take place in front of the Castello Pandone in Venafro:

castello-pandone-venafro.jpg

Several Roman writers including Cicero and Pliny mention Venafro in various histories, mostly because of the exceptional quality of olive oil produced in the region. One of the highlights of visiting Venafro is the only olive tree preserve in Europe—a national park created specially to celebrate the history of olive oil making in the city.In addition to the preserve, there is also a ruined Norman watch tower sitting halfway up the mountainside, plus a castle on top of the old city and a Romanesque church with frescoes from th e 14th century.

Venafro has changed hands a lot over the past 2,000 years: from the local Samnite tribe to the Romans, then later to marauding troops led by Charlemagne, later on the Lombards, the Saracens, and still later to the Neopolitans, and the French.

Woman of the Stage

Mara Carfagna, was born in Salerno. Which gives us the chance to give a nod to Italy's most idiosyncratic of modern leaders, Mr. Silvio Berlusconi.

carfagna.jpg

Former nude model and showgirl, she became a member of Italian parliament and - from 2008 until 2011 - was (quite ironically) Minister for Equal Opportunities in Berlusconi's fourth cabinet. In 2007 (when she was 31 and Silvio Berlusconi 71) the Prime Minister declared "If I weren't already married [with Veronica Lario], I'd wed her." and told her "I’d go anywhere with you, even to a desert island." Needless to say Silvio's wife Veronica Lario did not like the the line and wrote an open letter to the newspaper La Repubblica (number one enemy of Berlusconi) asking her husband to beg for her forgiveness. Among Carfagna's successes, she can boast of having reached a sixth place in Miss Italia's pageant, back in 1997. After the participation to the beauty contest, she declared: "That competition makes you a woman...makes you understand who you are".

Mara Cargagna remains an MP in Italy, but remains a controversial figure. In March 2011 MP Italo Bocchino's wife declare that she had been aware of an affair between her husband and Mara Carfagna. On July 5, 2008, the Argentine journal Clarín reported about telephone wiretap records authorized for an anti-corruption investigation. Reporter Julio Algañaraz wrote that Carfagna and Silvio Berlusconi engaged in a telephone conversation with explicit allusions to oral sex.

Munch for the Bunch
Molise has always been one of the peninsula's poorest areas. Eating meat was seen as a luxury, so even dishes for special occasions have often had low meat contents. Calcioni di ricotta rustici fills round dumplings of pasta dough with prosciutto, provolone and ricotta before frying them in olive oil. This food is often served as part of an assorted platter of fried appetizers called a fritto misto in Molise cooking.

hd750x421.jpg

And as we are passing the Amalfi/Sorrento coast, I propose a glass of limoncello. Traditionally, it is made from the zest of Femminello St. Teresa lemons, also known as Sorrento or Sfusato lemons. Lemon zest, or peels without the pith, is steeped in rectified spirit until the oil is released. The resulting yellow liquid is then mixed with simple syrup. Varying sugar to water ratio and temperature will affect the clarity, viscosity, and flavor.

limoncello_01.jpg

Centi di questi giorni!

Attachments

• MapStage5.png
    MapStage5.png
    114 KB · Views: 967
  • BarMaherGiroStage5.png
    BarMaherGiroStage5.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 967
Here's stage 5 by Brullnux
Brullnux said:
La Centesima Stage 5: Sapri-Pompei 242.4km
A very long, beautiful day on the Amalfi Coast. Very rolling opening 100km, again, before a flat 50 before Sorrento, before a fairly hard, Cat.2, narrow in places climb before a super hard and technical descent into Pompei, under Vesuvius. Similar to the Stages of the 50's and 60's on the bay of Sorrento.

deLWX8jl.png

And here by Stromeon:
Stromeon said:
Giro di Stromeon Stage 5: Trebisacce - Bari 201km

Giro%20dItalia%202017%20Stage%205-%20Trebisacce%20-%20Bari_zpsvg8tdzjr.png

Giro%20dItalia%202017%20Stage%205-%20Trebisacce%20-%20Bari%20Map_zpspslw47he.png

A very flat stage. Not a lot to say about this one, but the pure sprinters do have to have some chances to fight it out along this Giro, and don't worry they won't have too many chances! After starting in Trebisacce, we travel along the underside of the boot back into Basilicata and then into Apulia, before we stop for a bit of lunch at the port of Taranto. There's a small fourth category climb but it's nothing that will trouble the sprinters and after that it's a gradual and continuous downhill as we swoop in to a fast finish at Bari, an important city of the south. Here's hoping that this stage won't end like the last one in Bari did!

Trebisacce:
Trebisacce1-psd.png

Bari:
bari-water.jpg

Stage 5: Roma - Roma, 25,2km (TTT)

rvzlhd.png

You might not have been expecting this... a Team Time Trial.

Yes, it is very true that I dislike this format of racing. I think it's artificial and biases the GC towards those who would already have been in the strongest position owing to their team's strength anyway. However, the point here is the spectacle; it's the 100th Giro. It's meant to be a massive occasion. One of the main defences given of the Team Time Trial against my complaints is the incredible spectacle that it provides, and in recent years RCS have proven extremely fond of the format (2005 is the last Giro to have gone without one). There has been a bit of a recent tradition (until 2014) of starting foreign starts with a prologue ITT, then having a TTT on the first stage in Italy itself, so TTTs on stage 4 or 5 are fairly common in the Giro. For the most part those TTTs are a bit longer than this one, but then my Giro featured a hill-climb prologue rather than a flat one, so the characteristics of the role that the TTT has to play in the race are slightly different.

One thing the TTT will do is ensure that teams feature a more balanced lineup (this is the one legitimate point in favour of the TTT that I can concede) which means fewer mountain superdoms and should hopefully improve our mountain stages later in the race. And the other reason to go for the TTT is that, you know, we're in Rome, let's go with a zero-transfer stage. It's the Italian capital, it's full of beautiful sights and viewpoints, let's show off what the Italian capital has to offer a bit.

The stage takes as its inspiration the final stage of the 2009 Giro, which marked the centenary of the race. Famous of course for the legendary moment when race leader Denis Menchov fell on slightly wet cobbles in the final kilometre of the otherwise short course where he held the cards over di Luca, his challenger, this stage was actually won rather out of nowhere by little-heralded 23yo Ignatas Konovalovas, who got to go early when conditions were dry and shot to a prominence he's never really been able to recapture.

21a-roma-crono.jpeg

That stage was just 15km in length; I've padded it out to 25km by adding two additional stretches, first after the first entry into Piazza del Popolo, an out-and-back along Viale Muro Torto, and then, after crossing the Tiber, a second out-and-back as the riders pass Piazza Mazzini and climb up towards the city's Astronomical Observatory. After that they return to the banks of the river and the course follows the 2009 ITT route, taking in many of the legendary sights of the city. Piazza Venezia with the jawdropping Altare della Patria is early on AND late on, the Piazza del Popolo is passed through twice, Porta Pinciana is passed - though not passed through - twice, we pass across the front of Piazza di San Pietro - though without actually crossing the border into the Vatican City, because otherwise I'd have broken the rules - and, like in yesterday's flat stage, Castel Sant'Angelo; we spend a long time riding down the Via del Corso (bonus points if we can get an evening start and get those lights!!!) and finally the Circo Massimo before, just as yesterday, we finish at the Colosseum.

The TTT is not super long that it will create the sizable kind of gaps that aren't resolvable, the slight hill up to the Observatory will help the weaker teams power-wise to limit their losses, and the visuals should be stunning. Adding another test against the clock also helps in keeping the average stage distance down and therefore assists in keeping the route a bit more realistic.

Of course, an Italian team is unlikely to win this at this point, however an Italian pulling on the maglia rosa at the end of the day will be a pretty spectacular occasion.

Giro d'Italia - Stage 5: Montalto di Castro - Perugia

6ZkFeg.jpg

2 of the three road stages so far have had some hills in the final but all of them had a flat run in. That's different in Stage 5 as the finish will in the Perugia town centre. The stage is not very hard early on, the uphill sections are mostly false flat, so don't expect many fireworks early. All riders will be saving their powder for the final run in, where the best punchers in the peloton will have to prove themselves on the 2-step accent (3.6 km at 4.1% followed by a short descent before the final rise to the finish which is 2.7 km at 5.5%) into Perugia. Not the steepest final so that should mean a wide range of possible winners from punchy sprinters to the explosive climbers.

KrBO2G.png

Judge 1:
Brullnux T: 4/5 C 5/5
Barmaher T: 1/5 C: 4/5 (so many beautiful places and it's just a stage for the sprinters)
Gigs_98 T: 5/5 C: 2/5 (very nice, it could be a great stage)
Billie T: 3/5 C: 3/5 (Perugia is a beautiful town and having a wide range of possible winners is also a good thing)
Finn84 T: 2/5 C: 2/5
Libertine: T: 1/5 C: 4/5 (Sorry, I just dislike TTTs and stage 5 is also a little bit late for my taste)
Stromeon T: 2/5 C: 3/5 (I like Bari and the whole area is pretty windy, if the 2nd half of the stage whould be alongside the coast it could be a potential crosswinds stage)

Judge 2:
Brullnux T: 4/5 C: 4/5 (nice hill near the finish in the historical Pompeii)
Barmaher T: 2/3 C: 5/5 (lovely location in the world heritage site)
Gigs98 T: 5/5 C: 3/5 (good mountain stage and an uphill cobbled final!)
Billie T: 3/5 C: 2/5 (little kick at the end should will make it a nice test)
Finn84 T: 3/5 C: 2/5 (stand a good chance of some echelons and riders losing time)
Libertine T: 1/5 C: 4/5 (like yourself I hate TTT but the great location earns points)
Stromeon T: 2/5 C: 3/5 (normal sprint but the city of Bari is nice)

Judge 3:
Brullnux T:3/5 C 5/5 (Nice stage and great places, on all accounts)
Barmaher T: 2/5 C: 4/5 (Great scenery)
Gigs_98 T: 5/5 C: 2/5 (Really good hilly stage)
Billie T: 3/5 C: 3/5
Finn84 T: 2/5 C: 2/5
Libertine: T: 1/5 C: 4/5 (TTTs are ok, but after a sterrato stage? Nope)
Stromeon T: 1/5 C: 3/5

GC after stage 5:
Libertine 101
Gigs 100
Stromeon 100
Barmaher 98
Brullnux 91
Billie 86
Finn 75

You are making some might fine stages, Gigs.

I think I am going to really struggle in relation to some of the more experienced competitors as we hit the mountains, but I am enjoying it immensely.

I am learning a huge amount about Italy, which is an unexpected bonus.

Gigs_98 said:
Three times 5/5 technical rating :cool:
I want to thank Eshnar again, this challenge is by far more fun than I expected, although I already expected it to be fun :D
you're welcome :) thanks to all the players (and the judges) for making this possible.
I guess the only bad side effect of it will be the huge disappointment we'll get once they present the real route next year :eek:

There are large areas of Italy where almost any stage presented will have an interesting profile. There's also pretty large areas where it's pretty guaranteed it won't.

I've actually used some of the latter in some transitional stages. Tribute to Ale-Jet in 2004 :p

And also for the sake of the route as a whole. I can think of a couple of my stages which will garner pretty much no points, but they're there to help make the big stages more realistic, is my thinking. A race with no sprints at all is the stuff of dreams, but will sadly never happen. Even the 2010 Giro had a couple.

Yeah, agreed. One needs a mix. It was very hard to go up toward Puglia in one stage and past Vesuvius and Sorrento in another without going nuts. Those stages got me *** all technical points, but were necessary for the spirit of the route. Not just to encourage sprinyers...but an attack on the previous stage from a GC boy is more likely if the subsequent day is straightforward.

But the Vuelta really takes the biscuit. They really could be more imaginative in how they use their country.

TRENDING THREADS