• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You can't expect people to continue pronouncing their own name in keeping with the language rules of a language they don't even speak.
Sure you can. It's one word that could easily be passed on from parent to offspring. They don't need to be able to speak or understand an entire language. Just one word.

Can't actually see the video...

3 minutes 46 seconds into the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxlR6t_LCsM&t=3m46s

Sure you can. It's one word that could easily be passed on from parent to offspring. They don't need to be able to speak or understand an entire language. Just one word.

But why? What's so terrible about some people pronouncing their own name in a specific way, even if it's slightly different from how it's pronounced in another country? Especially if it's a country the people in question have no connection to beyond "Oh, our family might originally have been from there...".

3 minutes 46 seconds into the video:

Okay, then I definitely don't understand why the English commentators pronounce it with an 'h' sound.

Great races this weekend. It definitely has become more competitive and with MVDP and Pidcock back also more interesting.

Iserbyt. Looks like he had a bad recovery after Antwerpen. The start at Gavere wasn't fantastic but already four minutes into the race he was back up there just a few seconds up to MVDP/Aerts/etc. Maybe he took too much out challenging Van der Poel?

Pidcock. Typically a slow starter - like in Antwerpen - must have felt fantastic in Gavere, going all out from the start. With his light frame and superb technique the course was perfect for him. Really one of the most fun riders to watch.

MVDP. Lap 2 in Antwerpen was something extraordinary and showed that when he gets everything right there is no one to beat him. Even more interesting to find that even he makes mistakes. Still, on a flat sandy track, who can beat him unless he has a disastrous day or mechanical issue?

Maybe a pattern is emerging? The few times Van der Poel has shown some small kinks in the armour, have a thing in common: muddy and hilly courses. Ronse last year, Valkenburg 2018, Namur 2019 (win but by tiny margin and due to big mistake from Aerts) and maybe Bieles 2017 (unfair comparison due to several punctures?). Clearly a big powerful rider will not have the same advantage but Aerts and WvA are also quite big. Nonetheless Ostende should be a course where Van der Poel and Wout will do well.

Reactions: postmanhat
Great races this weekend. It definitely has become more competitive and with MVDP and Pidcock back also more interesting.

Iserbyt. Looks like he had a bad recovery after Antwerpen. The start at Gavere wasn't fantastic but already four minutes into the race he was back up there just a few seconds up to MVDP/Aerts/etc. Maybe he took too much out challenging Van der Poel?

Pidcock. Typically a slow starter - like in Antwerpen - must have felt fantastic in Gavere, going all out from the start. With his light frame and superb technique the course was perfect for him. Really one of the most fun riders to watch.

MVDP. Lap 2 in Antwerpen was something extraordinary and showed that when he gets everything right there is no one to beat him. Even more interesting to find that even he makes mistakes. Still, on a flat sandy track, who can beat him unless he has a disastrous day or mechanical issue?

Maybe a pattern is emerging? The few times Van der Poel has shown some small kinks in the armour, have a thing in common: muddy and hilly courses. Ronse last year, Valkenburg 2018, Namur 2019 (win but by tiny margin and due to big mistake from Aerts) and maybe Bieles 2017 (unfair comparison due to several punctures?). Clearly a big powerful rider will not have the same advantage but Aerts and WvA are also quite big. Nonetheless Ostende should be a course where Van der Poel and Wout will do well.
Gavere is one of the hardest races, especially when wet. Iserbyt was already 20 seconds behind the leaders after a few minutes, which he had to close down in a hurry, just when Pidcock lit the race up at the front. That means it is much more likely Iserbyt had to go in the red at the start of the race and never had the chance to recover, which helped him to keep the gap with Aerts down early on (his rival in the GC), but ultimately killed off any chances of competing with Pidcock and van der Poel. He never got to the front of the race. I think Antwerp had little or nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Flamin
Gavere is one of the hardest races, especially when wet. Iserbyt was already 20 seconds behind the leaders after a few minutes, which he had to close down in a hurry, just when Pidcock lit the race up at the front. That means it is much more likely Iserbyt had to go in the red at the start of the race and never had the chance to recover, which helped him to keep the gap with Aerts down early on (his rival in the GC), but ultimately killed off any chances of competing with Pidcock and van der Poel. He never got to the front of the race. I think Antwerp had little or nothing to do with it.
well MVdP did say he was fatigued from Saturday
so Iserbyt could have been too.
In fact, Iserbyt did Pidcock a favour in away
by wearing down MVdP 24hrs earlier

well MVdP did say he was fatigued from Saturday
so Iserbyt could have been too.
In fact, Iserbyt did Pidcock a favour in away
by wearing down MVdP 24hrs earlier
It was Mathieu's first race, so it's normal for him to have more difficulties the next day. Even if it had some impact on Iserbyt, i'm sure him having to close down 20 seconds in the first lap while they were already putting the hammer down early, was a more deciding factor.

I think we're going to see a very interesting race in Namur. I'm hoping for an open battle between van der Poel, van Aert, Pidckock, Iserbyt & Aerts.

It was Mathieu's first race, so it's normal for him to have more difficulties the next day. Even if it had some impact on Iserbyt, i'm sure him having to close down 20 seconds in the first lap while they were already putting the hammer down early, was a more deciding factor.

I think we're going to see a very interesting race in Namur. I'm hoping for an open battle between van der Poel, van Aert, Pidckock, Iserbyt & Aerts.

Same. I hope Piddy keeps this form going and that Mathieu is that much better come Namur, same for Wout and that Iserbyt and co are well rested and up for it. Fingers crossed.

I know that I've seen somewhere the TV audience figures for last season in Belgium (here or on twitter) but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone have by hand a link for that?

And for this season, is it available anywhere? I'm kind of curious to see the impact of the coronavirus on that.

I know that I've seen somewhere the TV audience figures for last season in Belgium (here or on twitter) but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone have by hand a link for that?

And for this season, is it available anywhere? I'm kind of curious to see the impact of the coronavirus on that.
I have no idea, but i seem to remember from in the heydays of CX throughout Nys' career, when it was still broadcast on Sporza and not behind a paywall, that some races reached or eclipsed the 1 million mark, if i'm not mistaken.

There's a World Cup race Sunday, right? Why is it not on the schedule anywhere? Is it the secret race, available only for people who know how to correctly pronounce Flemish?
Can you say "schild en vriend"?

Anyway, in some countries, Eurosport is broadcasting. In Belgium, both Telenet & Proximus (cable tv providers) will broadcast on a dedicated channel. Dutch people can also watch via the NOS app. No idea if you can use that in other countries. There will probably be streams if you know where to look. Not sure if it will be streamed on the NOS website and if you could watch with a VPN, but i think using a VPN is no more legal than streaming from TIZ for instance.

Can you say "schild en vriend"?

Anyway, in some countries, Eurosport is broadcasting. In Belgium, both Telenet & Proximus (cable tv providers) will broadcast on a dedicated channel. Dutch people can also watch via the NOS app. No idea if you can use that in other countries. There will probably be streams if you know where to look. Not sure if it will be streamed on the NOS website and if you could watch with a VPN, but i think using a VPN is no more legal than streaming from TIZ for instance.

Aaah... the listing got updated, it's on now.

For me heart says VDP (as always) but head says Pidcock.

VDP looked to me a bit rusty on the climbs in Gavere (and without his traditional change of pace, it seemed that his engine had less gears than usual) and Pidcock much more fluid and light on the pedals.

For me heart says VDP (as always) but head says Pidcock.

VDP looked to me a bit rusty on the climbs in Gavere (and without his traditional change of pace, it seemed that his engine had less gears than usual) and Pidcock much more fluid and light on the pedals.

I think Mathieu’s rustiness is much less surprising, considering the little prep he’s had and it being his second race, than Pidcock’s “fluidity and lightness”, considering the astronomical leaps he has made in the span of 3 (?) races. From 17th place to 1st place, beating the World Champ while at it.

Mathieu will get better as well with every race but Piddy’s ascent has been incredible though. Excited to see what the next races will bring. I just hope for excitement from start to finish.

I think Mathieu’s rustiness is much less surprising, considering the little prep he’s had and it being his second race, than Pidcock’s “fluidity and lightness”, considering the astronomical leaps he has made in the span of 3 (?) races. From 17th place to 1st place, beating the World Champ while at it.

Mathieu will get better as well with every race but Piddy’s ascent has been incredible though. Excited to see what the next races will bring. I just hope for excitement from start to finish.
I think the excitement will be guaranteed on Sunday, particularly if they incorporate that ‘improvised’ descent down those steps again!

Reactions: Spine Concept

Or Pidcock just wasn't 100% fit for whatever reason. For all we know, he was still recovering from an illness, and he could only perform at his best again last weekend.

Judging by the map on the world cup site, it's the old Namur course, without that section.
From this video it looks the same as last year other than the stepped downhill replaced with more steep off camber and a steep dead turn hairpin onto the cobbled climb probably 200 or so metres uphill from where the steps finished and that massive puddle/pond was.

Reactions: postmanhat
Wednesday I did the lap @Namur : You can watch my GoPro Lap Course Preview on my YouTube channel :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RJZiEPHc4&t=1s

Kind regards from Belgium,
Matteo

Nice video! A small advice, when using the chest mount with your GoPro, try to put it upside down slightly angled forward. That way you can catch more or what's ahead and less bike frame!

Ah, that citadel mud takes me back to my first day in Belgium, some decembers ago, with only one pair of shoes with me to save space and with the very (un)wise decision to climb from the Meuse to the top of hill by a shortcut through the woods. Poor walking shoes.

The course seems different than I expected. They avoided the "steps" from last year in the way to the cobbled climb and added a drop after the traditional off-camber, right?

Nice video! A small advice, when using the chest mount with your GoPro, try to put it upside down slightly angled forward. That way you can catch more or what's ahead and less bike frame!

Ah, that citadel mud takes me back to my first day in Belgium, some decembers ago, with only one pair of shoes with me to save space and with the very (un)wise decision to climb from the Meuse to the top of hill by a shortcut through the woods. Poor walking shoes.

The course seems different than I expected. They avoided the "steps" from last year in the way to the cobbled climb and added a drop after the traditional off-camber, right?
Yes I know, I didn't get a good angle --> next time it will be better ! Thanks for the advice

TRENDING THREADS