• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 137 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is still, at 30, a solid top ten rider, and yet he is on his 3rd (?) season as a free rider. Is he independently wealthy such that he doesn't need a team? Is he sociopathic to the etent that no team can accommodate him? What's the story?
His contract at Pauwels Sauzen wasn't renewed 2 or 3 seasons ago despite some good performances in that season, so since then he's ridden as a privateer, first with an apple farm and now with a chocolate milk company. I guess he just feels happy to do what he wants.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
The same for Vinnie Baestaens, who has been having some decent results but was let go by Deschacht who, apart from some Lander Loockx's performances, have been rather invisible. Meeusen kept the same kind of form of recent years but Daan Soete has been having a really bad season so far, specially considering he had a very decent summer in the MTB.
The Baestaens one confused me, because I'm sure he left Beobank Corendon as his contract was up and not renewed and then became a privateer with Hens Maes Containers being his sponsor. Maybe i'm completely wrong, but it just seems to me like he was essetially 'kicked out' of his own setup!?

Reactions: postmanhat
He reminded me of his best from 2-3 years ago, when he was almost untouchable. The more CX he does, the better the skills will get......

Van Empel is deceptively powerful, and stronger on the flat pedalling sections, whereas Puck is far stronger technically. CX tends to favour the former over the latter, so one would assume Fem will have a better win record in CX.

Yesterday I think both Pieterse and Van Aert overcooked themselves a bit.

Pieterse probably saw an opportunity to ride away when Van Empel made some mistakes and that's a perfectly good strategy. However when Van Empel came back maybe Pieterse should have needed to save a little more for either later attacks or for just keeping up. Always too easy to see in retrospect but if Pieterse wants to beat Van Empel she will really need a cool head and perfect strategy. Van Empel looks significantly stronger just powering on. Also when Van Empel dialed back just a tad the technique came in place and no more mistakes.

Wout also did the obvious thing and just going for it but it looked like it came with a high price this time. My recollection is that Wout generally starts a bit slower and then eases into a rhytm that almost none other can follow... Until his crash over the barriers he seemed to be on his absolute limit. Then when he had to rearrange, going a bit slower, the mistakes were gone and he slowly began to eat back on Van der Poel. He too will probably need to strategize a bit to beat Van der Poel.

Pidcock just wasn't there - and as someone already stated - the talk of the Big 3 is wrong. There are just 2!

Until his crash over the barriers he seemed to be on his absolute limit. Then when he had to rearrange, going a bit slower, the mistakes were gone and he slowly began to eat back on Van der Poel.
You're right that WVA was faster than MVDP on the last lap, after Wout's crash (the only lap where he was faster). I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into that though: neither were really racing at that point. Case in point: Vanthourenhout put 13 seconds into MVDP in the last lap, and was 7 seconds better than WVA, which you wouldn't see if either was still pushing things.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
You're right that WVA was faster than MVDP on the last lap, after Wout's crash (the only lap where he was faster). I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into that though: neither were really racing at that point. Case in point: Vanthourenhout put 13 seconds into MVDP in the last lap, and was 7 seconds better than WVA, which you wouldn't see if either was still pushing things.

Hm, you're probably right. And going a bit slower should make for less mistakes.

Having rewatched Boom hats off goes to Van der Poel. Quite a sorry mishap and a relatively bad crash. Yet no quitting. He just carried on. True CX spirit. Respecting the fans, the team, the mechanics, the organizers and in particular the other competitors. They got the chance to measure themselves to the best while Van der Poel was moving up the field. It would have been the easy way out. “Another race tomorrow “, “I’m hurt so better rest” , “No use to drain myself for a minor position “ etc. But no, keep on grinding and why quit when you can go. That’s a professional!

Reactions: Raggamuffin
The road teams wouldn’t be interested in him? Or maybe he is just only interested in CX?
He's definitely one of the most pure cross riders. Looking at his road racing he generally just does the national level stage races, .1 & .2 races and national crits that cross teams generally do. He doesn't seem to dabble with XC like others do and the results in those aforementioned are very very average and middle of the pack.

He's definitely one of the most pure cross riders. Looking at his road racing he generally just does the national level stage races, .1 & .2 races and national crits that cross teams generally do. He doesn't seem to dabble with XC like others do and the results in those aforementioned are very very average and middle of the pack.

I'd guess if any of the road teams were interested, they would have been in by now. And in any case, he'll likely make more money as a top CX rider, with a champion jersey than as just another rider on a road team. And like Eli, he's probably content to be a CX rider.....the road doesn't suit everybody.

Start lists for Dublin looking rather thin, especially womens race.
28 riders listed including 8 Irish.
5 Dutch, Belgian B team, 2 Brits and PFP only French rider.
It’s like Val di Sole last year i guess. It’s good to see cyclocross outside of the main benelux region but it needs some work to make it more attractive. I’d love to see a climbing-heavy, pidcock-friendly UK route for example.

TRENDING THREADS