• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radio Interview, Armstrong admits he is finished.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Caught part of a radio grab on short wave radio last night, Armstrong was saying he thinks he cant compete with the younger riders. He is riding flat out and is not looking forward the climbs.

" I might be getting too old" was the comment.

I must admit I was a bit shocked at his honesty, maybe he really has matured as a man. Maybe he IS riding to promote his charity, not his ego?

He sounded genuine, I almost liked him for a sec. Time will tell. I think hes in for 3rd place

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
I must admit I was a bit shocked at his honesty, maybe he really has matured as a man. Maybe he IS riding to promote his charity, not his ego?

Armstrong was going for the win, but was found wanting on Verbier. He did a great job for a 37 year old, but does not have the legs to match riders 10+ years his junior. But, because he couldn't climb with the likes of Contador, Andy Schleck, Wiggins, etc and admits it doesn't mean that he is not/was not riding for the win. He is just facing the unfortunate reality we all face as we get older: we slow down!

mickkk said:
Caught part of a radio grab on short wave radio last night, Armstrong was saying he thinks he cant compete with the younger riders. He is riding flat out and is not looking forward the climbs.

He sounded genuine, I almost liked him for a sec. Time will tell. I think hes in for 3rd place

Even haters get hit in the head by reality ever once in a while. You sound genuine. Time well tell.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The comeback was always about cancer

mickkk said:

Lance has always stated and made it clear that he was riding to promote a global effort against cancer. He never needed another Tour win or to be drug tested every couple of weeks or have all the media hassle him. It was always about cancer. Whether you like Lance or not, 1 of 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 of 3 women. What he's working/riding for will benefit you!
The media just didn't cover the cancer part of the comeback because it's not sexy news. He is riding pretty good racing against guys much younger though!

Yesterday was a reality check for him and should be for his fans.
"Time waits for no man," and all that.
He's only 5-10% off his best, but, it's that margin that he cannot recapture and makes all the difference.
He will gradually slip out of contension on Wednesday, maybe pull back some time in the ITT, (but not on AC, Kloden or Wiggins) and the Ventoux will decide whether he just makes the top 5, or top 10.

cancer survivor said:
Lance has always stated and made it clear that he was riding to promote a global effort against cancer. He never needed another Tour win or to be drug tested every couple of weeks or have all the media hassle him. It was always about cancer.

Ohhhhhh really, very interesting indeed !?!

Here is a couple of pictures about: I wanna ride for free just to raise cancer awareness

176_4a092d37d2c46.jpg

nike-sportswear-lance-armstrong-stages-sneakers-1.jpg

origami-dollar-tee.jpg

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yesterday was a reality check for him and should be for his fans.
"Time waits for no man," and all that.
He's only 5-10% off his best, but, it's that margin that he cannot recapture and makes all the difference.
He will gradually slip out of contension on Wednesday, maybe pull back some time in the ITT, (but not on AC, Kloden or Wiggins) and the Ventoux will decide whether he just makes the top 5, or top 10.

Good post. I think LA went into Sunday's stage not knowing how he would perform physically. I think mentally he was there but he wasn't sure how his body would react (and he's said that a lot throughout the race). Not sure if he slips out of contention on Wednesday unless things go apes**t with some kamikaze attack from someone before the Colombiere. There's about 15K of downhill from the last climb and if he can keep in close contact through the Colombiere I don't see him losing huge amounts of time. Of course, that's moot because the Ventoux will suck for him.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
The other problem Armstrong has is that he never faced a rider as challenging as Contador in his prime. Ullrich was a great rider, but Ullrich was a time trialist who didn't have the explosion in the mountains, and since Armstrong could beat him in both disciplines, he didn't pose as great of a challenge to Lance as he did to other riders. The coked-out, post-doping Pantani was never a real threat during Lance's run, Zulle was at the end of his career, and the real mountain goats of the peloton like Heras & Escartin of Kelme and Mayo were bound to lose multiple minutes in the time trials, even if they occassionally left Lance behind on the big climbs (like Mayo on Alpe d'Huez).

For sure, Lance has lost something since his peak in 2000-2002, but I would have loved to see the Contador of 2009 vs the Lance of 2001 head-to-head year after year. I don't think Lance would have won 7 in a row with that caliber of competition.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Padeiro said:
Good post. I think LA went into Sunday's stage not knowing how he would perform physically. I think mentally he was there but he wasn't sure how his body would react (and he's said that a lot throughout the race). Not sure if he slips out of contention on Wednesday unless things go apes**t with some kamikaze attack from someone before the Colombiere. There's about 15K of downhill from the last climb and if he can keep in close contact through the Colombiere I don't see him losing huge amounts of time. Of course, that's moot because the Ventoux will suck for him.

I think he will be able to limit losses in the next two stages and then win the ITT (or at least beat everyone except maybe Contador and Cancellara). He will lose time to the Schlecks and Sastres on Ventoux, but I think he will be able to hang onto at least a podium spot, and probably 2nd place, which is a fine achievement all things considered.

mickkk said:

I'm not sure why you are surprised, this has been Lance's operating procedure during this Tour. Pre-Stage 1 he was talking about how great he felt, that his form was as good as during his spectacular run at the Tour, that he was there to win and that Contador was leader for NOW. After Stage 1, he was stressing that he was almost 38, almost 4 years away from cycling, that he hadn't raced in a month.

After Stage 3, he unfurled his "I'm a 7-Time TdF winner, I deserve a little credit. I should be a co-leader of this team". Was also what was driving his anger on Arcalis.

Now we are back to humbled Lance. Saying he's 38, doesn't have the top end like he use to, yada, yada. Acknowledging reality after it has stomped a mudhole in your a$$ doesn't deserve a pat on the back.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I'm not sure why you are surprised, this has been Lance's operating procedure during this Tour. Pre-Stage 1 he was talking about how great he felt, that his form was as good as during his spectacular run at the Tour, that he was there to win and that Contador was leader for NOW. After Stage 1, he was stressing that he was almost 38, almost 4 years away from cycling, that he hadn't raced in a month.

After Stage 3, he unfurled his "I'm a 7-Time TdF winner, I deserve a little credit. I should be a co-leader of this team". Was also what was driving his anger on Arcalis.

Now we are back to humbled Lance. Saying he's 38, doesn't have the top end like he use to, yada, yada. Acknowledging reality after it has stomped a mudhole in your a$$ doesn't deserve a pat on the back.

wow what got you riled up the past 3 years?

Have you been to a ride for roses or seen how much his presence does for cancer awareness worldwide.

He manned up and said he wasn't the better man. If it was you who won tours, you really think you would not have thought you could still do it?

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Zen Master said:
Ohhhhhh really, very interesting indeed !?!

Here is a couple of pictures about: I wanna ride for free just to raise cancer awareness

176_4a092d37d2c46.jpg

nike-sportswear-lance-armstrong-stages-sneakers-1.jpg

origami-dollar-tee.jpg

You, sir, are an idiot.

His endorsement deal with Nike has nothing to do with his racing. They've been producing Livestrong apparel ever since he retired. Oh, and all of the profits, yes ALL of the profits, go to the Foundation.

Jayarbie said:
The other problem Armstrong has is that he never faced a rider as challenging as Contador in his prime. Ullrich was a great rider, but Ullrich was a time trialist who didn't have the explosion in the mountains, and since Armstrong could beat him in both disciplines, he didn't pose as great of a challenge to Lance as he did to other riders. The coked-out, post-doping Pantani was never a real threat during Lance's run, Zulle was at the end of his career, and the real mountain goats of the peloton like Heras & Escartin of Kelme and Mayo were bound to lose multiple minutes in the time trials, even if they occassionally left Lance behind on the big climbs (like Mayo on Alpe d'Huez).

For sure, Lance has lost something since his peak in 2000-2002, but I would have loved to see the Contador of 2009 vs the Lance of 2001 head-to-head year after year. I don't think Lance would have won 7 in a row with that caliber of competition.

+ 1

It would have been great to see them fight it out both in their primes. I would honestly put my money on Contador to win especially since his TT improvements, Lance could not keep up will the acceleration on the climbs.

I think it's just a question of how many grand tours for Contador now, If he goes for more Vueltas and Giros he could be up there will Merckx and Hinult for number of wins.

mickkk said:

It's bizarre to me that anyone who has ever really paid attention to how Armstrong talks and understood what he meant would be surprised, much less shocked, by these statements.

You can accuse him of bravado and arrogance, but he's always seemed very honest to me (well, except about that one topic).

That said, of course he was riding partially for his ego (and you think Contador, Evans, Schleck and Sastre are not?). And that part took a huge blow yesterday. Speaking of Sastre, that guy's ego is so hurt he's now whining about conspiracy theories. I think that articles was on velonews. His ego is still holding out for winning on Ventoux. LOL.

But, yeah, he's also seriously riding for cancer.

As I've said at least a few times before, the man is human. Therefore he is complex. You can't put him in a box like "only rides for ego", "only rides for cancer", "is not always honest about absolutely everything therefore is dishonest". You're not that simplistic, why would you expect one of the greatest athletes of all time to be?

colwildcat said:
You, sir, are an idiot.

His endorsement deal with Nike has nothing to do with his racing. They've been producing Livestrong apparel ever since he retired. Oh, and all of the profits, yes ALL of the profits, go to the Foundation.

Wooooooooooow really !?? It's always nice to see that someone in this cool cruel world do good things without any interest !?!

roflmao.jpg

When you grow up a little bit, maybe then you finally realize what is advertising and how much money can Nike & Lance earn from so called charity action :rolleyes:

Oh I almost forgot to tell you this !?!

From denverpost.com 28.06.2009
The seven-time Tour de France winner is now a Coloradan. Coming out of a 3 1/2-year retirement, Armstrong built a $9 million house in Aspen and will live much of the year here. Just maybe these 20-mile daily training grinds up Independence Pass will help him win Tour No. 8 when the Tour de France begins Saturday in Monaco

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
+ 1
I would honestly put my money on Contador to win especially since his TT improvements, Lance could not keep up will the acceleration on the climbs.

QUOTE]

I don't know, Lance had some sick acceleration in 1999-2001. Hautacam in 2000 was just insane. Also, at their primes, I think LA out TT's AC hands down. It would've been nice to see them go head to head though.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
+ 1

It would have been great to see them fight it out both in their primes. I would honestly put my money on Contador to win especially since his TT improvements, Lance could not keep up will the acceleration on the climbs.

I don't know, Lance had some sick acceleration in 1999-2001. Hautacam in 2000 was just insane. Also, at their primes, I think LA out TT's AC hands down. It would've been nice to see them go head to head though.

uphillstruggle said:
+ 1

It would have been great to see them fight it out both in their primes. I would honestly put my money on Contador to win especially since his TT improvements, Lance could not keep up will the acceleration on the climbs.....
There's always a latest = greatest bias when comparing athletes.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Did you understand his comments after stage 3? "Co-leader" was not in regards to "race leader of the team". After stage 4 he made this quite clear: "There are two ways to define leader within this team. You can be the strongest one who is the leader that wins; but, you can also, if you are not the strongest, you can also be the team leader because you have experience, age, and trust of the other riders - that might be my role...".

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Zen Master said:
Wooooooooooow really !?? It's always nice to see that someone in this cool cruel world do good things without any interest !?!

roflmao.jpg

When you grow up a little bit, maybe then you finally realize what is advertising and how much money can Nike & Lance earn from so called charity action :rolleyes:

Oh I almost forgot to tell you this !?!

From denverpost.com 28.06.2009
The seven-time Tour de France winner is now a Coloradan. Coming out of a 3 1/2-year retirement, Armstrong built a $9 million house in Aspen and will live much of the year here. Just maybe these 20-mile daily training grinds up Independence Pass will help him win Tour No. 8 when the Tour de France begins Saturday in Monaco

Again, you really are an idiot.

goober said:
Did you understand his comments after stage 3? "Co-leader" was not in regards to "race leader of the team". After stage 4 he made this quite clear: "There are two ways to define leader within this team. You can be the strongest one who is the leader that wins; but, you can also, if you are not the strongest, you can also be the team leader because you have experience, age, and trust of the other riders - that might be my role...".

I understood everything he said and I think the video adds much needed context. My point was that his humble approach was entirely predictable. If he has a better day than Contador, I expect to see non-humble Lance in the media as well.

TRENDING THREADS