• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack Crying after Lombardia snub

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Squares said:
Get ready for the Lance Haters to start whining about RS getting into the Giro Lombardia

I anticipate comments saying they bought off the UCI among others...

despite the rality that they had a contract with RCS to provide entry.

Good observation - how much do you think they paid?

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Squares said:
Get ready for the Lance Haters to start whining about RS getting into the Giro Lombardia

I anticipate comments saying they bought off the UCI among others...

despite the rality that they had a contract with RCS to provide entry.

Always ready - can already see some tears dropping of some faces :D

"RCS Sport has got the green light by the Presidents of UCI and CUPT," it said in a press release today, "to bring 26 teams ... without breaking through the roof of the 200 riders overall."

Most of the 26 participating teams will race with eight riders, but four smaller teams will race with six riders to make space for RadioShack.

thehog said:
"RCS Sport has got the green light by the Presidents of UCI and CUPT," it said in a press release today, "to bring 26 teams ... without breaking through the roof of the 200 riders overall."

Most of the 26 participating teams will race with eight riders, but four smaller teams will race with six riders to make space for RadioShack.
Yeah, this isn't fishy at all.

Screw Bruyneel and everything he stands for.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Yeah, this isn't fishy at all.

Screw Bruyneel and everything he stands for.

It doesn't really sound fishy. It sounds like Radioshack probably was going to win the CAS case, and this was the way out for the organizers.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Its seems Pat and Adorni have discarded their own rules.

UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS. 6 ROAD RACES E0710 II
Chapter GENERAL PROVISIONS -Participation

2.2.002 The number of riders participating in a road race shall be limited to 200.

2.2.003 The number of titular riders per team shall be set at 4 minimum and 10 maximum.
The organiser shall indicate in the programme or technical guide and on the entry form the maximum number for his race. That number shall be the same for all teams. No account shall be taken of any riders entered in excess of that number.

If the maximum number of riders per team is 4, 5 or 6, no team may take the start with less than 4 riders. If the maximum number of riders per team is 7 or 8, no team may take the start with less
than 5 riders. If the maximum number of riders per team is 9 or 10, no team may take the start
with less than 6 riders.
In the UCI ProTour events, the number of riders per team is 8. However, subject to prior permission by the UCI ProTour council, the organiser may fix the number of riders per team at 7. The organiser shall request the permission of the UCI ProTour council on or before 1st January of the year of the event.
For the WE 1 races, the number of riders per team is set at 6. However, subject to prior approval by
the Road Commission, the organiser can set the number of riders per team at 8 for WE 2.1 races.
(text modified on 1.01.05; 1.01.07; 26.01.08).

thehog said:

I was wondering how they were going to cut the cloth to fit in Bruyneel's boys.
I had figured on 182 riders, instead of 200, but no, they come up with a far more unfair solution.
Why kick one minnow, when you can kick four?

Since Shack are last man through the door, shouldn't they be forced to take a six man slot?

Personally, I don't mind if RS ride or not, but this "solution" once again smacks of back door dealing of the darkest kind.

What next? Maybe half a GT wildcard for non PT teams.:rolleyes:

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
That really is quite terrible for the smaller teams, if I were them I would start proceedings. You can't discriminate on the basis of such a thing during a race. I hope that RS at least is one of the teams with only 6 riders, otherwise it would be really frustrating for the other teams

A

Anonymous

Honest to goodness, the sooner Jb and his circus are gone from cycling forever, the better for the sport.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
That really is quite terrible for the smaller teams, if I were them I would start proceedings. You can't discriminate on the basis of such a thing during a race. I hope that RS at least is one of the teams with only 6 riders, otherwise it would be really frustrating for the other teams

Since they apparently got in on the basis of a court case/threatened court case... I'm guessing they'll get 8.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Since they apparently got in on the basis of a court case/threatened court case... I'm guessing they'll get 8.

What's keeping the smaller teams from threatening with a court case, one that they would likely win. And in effect shut down the race, due to 200+ riders. RS only had a case based on an invitation, not one specifying the amount of riders.

Anyway, I would like to see a strike happening, because if this is allowed to continue, I'm really starting to get even more soured with pro-cycling and the UCI and RS in particular

Mellow Velo said:
I was wondering how they were going to cut the cloth to fit in Bruyneel's boys.
I had figured on 182 riders, instead of 200, but no, they come up with a far more unfair solution.
Why kick one minnow, when you can kick four?

Since Shack are last man through the door, shouldn't they be forced to take a six man slot?

Personally, I don't mind if RS ride or not, but this "solution" once again smacks of back door dealing of the darkest kind.

What next? Maybe half a GT wildcard for non PT teams.:rolleyes:

Question is what team is the Shack going to send? If they send bumpf then the entire effort will be a waste of time. They better send the A-team.

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Question is what team is the Shack going to send? If they send bumpf then the entire effort will be a waste of time. They better send the A-team.

pack fill ...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Who would you consider necessary for it to be the "A" team?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
What's keeping the smaller teams from threatening with a court case, one that they would likely win. And in effect shut down the race, due to 200+ riders. RS only had a case based on an invitation, not one specifying the amount of riders.

Anyway, I would like to see a strike happening, because if this is allowed to continue, I'm really starting to get even more soured with pro-cycling and the UCI and RS in particular

If they would win, then they should absolutely file a case.

In reality, since the UCI rules are being broken either way... why not let 208 go for this race and just let the whole thing go away. Is having 8 additional riders enough to make things unsafe?

If there was a legal jam for the organizer, just make an exception and move on.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
If they would win, then they should absolutely file a case.

In reality, since the UCI rules are being broken either way... why not let 208 go for this race and just let the whole thing go away. Is having 8 additional riders enough to make things unsafe?

If there was a legal jam for the organizer, just make an exception and move on.

That beats the sh\t out of arbitrarily docking four teams two riders each! They're making an exception either way - 208 seems to be the better exception.