• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate MSR

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How would you rate this years race?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First of all, hats off to anybody riding in the cold rain for 294k. Having said that, this year's edition was a real disappointment.

It would have been better if a gruppetto had formed with Nibali on the Cipressa, or a real serious attack had been launched on the Poggio.

As it was, when even Cav can be in contention and someone like Sagan fizzles out, the end result was rather anti-climactic.

Buffalo Soldier said:
snipped..

But all in all, I rate MSR as the 3th exiting of the classical classics, behind RVV and PR, but in front of FW, AGR, PT and even LBL and Lombardia.

I would say the riders race MSR to the max of what the parcours allows, at least rather often.

The problem with FW, AGR and LBL and to some extend Lombardia is that very few takes advantage of the parcours and it typically ends in a waiting game with a sprint in the end. Often poor race action for me.

Anyway I found this edition of MSR worthy of a 6.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Gave it a 9. there was a shark attack that I was not expecting and I am all psyched for the races now, knowing Nibali will be in the mix with Contador, Froomie, Quintana...it is going to be fun.

Also realized watching the riders how tough a day that must have been and it is really about the toughest and the one having the most endurance on the day. Great finish by Kristoff! Congrats to him, Paolini, and Katusha.

What would have made it a 10 is - if Sagan or Gilbert...a few good companions would have gone with my man when he attacked :D :cool:

Some of the racing in Paris-Nice last week was as good as cycling can get.

This was a dull parcours that was so unselective it allowed all the main sprinters to get to the line in the same group, even if they then had zero energy to win. The Poggio is iconic and can make the race, even if it was barely used to ignite it this time around.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
On the parcours provided I'll give it a 7. Perfect race minus one as the break was never really a threat for the win, minus one as nobody joined Nibali to make that move truly threatening and minus one for being so conservative over the poggio.
Kristoff was a deserving winner, I really enjoyed that the sprint was between the strongest after 300km.

argyllflyer said:
This was a dull parcours that was so unselective it allowed all the main sprinters to get to the line in the same group.

How can a race where a group of only 25-30 riders finish together be so unselective?
It's a 300km long race. Nearly half the peloton abandoned. And another 60-70 were dropped some 40km before the finish.
Those sprinters are clearly among the most tough riders in the world.

And this parcours is not dull at all. It's one of a kind in a cycling world where lots of parcours tend to look similar nowadays. I would never change it. No effing Le Manie or Pompeiana: we don't need Liege 2.0. I love the fact that Goss and Gerrans and Ciolek and Kristoff can win this race in consecutive years, it tells a lot about how unpredictable of a race Milano - Sanremo is.

As for the poll: I gave it a 7. Enjoyed the race, even if I'm disappointed by the lack of action on Cipressa and Poggio. BMC was a total disaster.

SafeBet said:
How can a race where a group of only 25-30 riders finish together be so unselective?
It's a 300km long race. Nearly half the peloton abandoned. And another 60-70 were dropped some 40km before the finish.
Those sprinters are clearly among the most tough riders in the world.

thats because its a one day race. yr always gonna get lots of DNFs coz there's no reason for domestiques or riders who have a problem to carry on

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Voted 3 since 1 was the lowest option.

1 point for the rain
1 point for Niballi's attack

Perhaps I could give another one point for Cancellara's sprint for second place

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
SafeBet said:
And this parcours is not dull at all. It's one of a kind in a cycling world where lots of parcours tend to look similar nowadays. I would never change it. No effing Le Manie or Pompeiana: we don't need Liege 2.0. I love the fact that Goss and Gerrans and Ciolek and Kristoff can win this race in consecutive years, it tells a lot about how unpredictable of a race Milano - Sanremo is.

I would sign that. All kind of riders can and did win there. True sprinters, rouleurs, allrounders, GT contenders....

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
There's no need for the Pompeiana here. I like the openness of this race and we have enough with 3 certain Ardennes races in one April week than to turn this into another one.

I only tuned in for the last 20k (deliberately) so I missed all the boring preamble.

The 20k was good. Even though I had so much riding on Degenkolb winning and it ****ed me off.

And to be honest, in today's cycling, 20k of action is quite impressive. The average action for a race these days seems to be about 2k and discounting sprints maybe 3-4 k.

But despite that, I'm not settling my standards down to mediocrity. Just because cycling has become less entertaining, doesn't mean I'll give high marks to average monuments. 5 for me.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It was good, but not really great. I describe it as "meh." Enjoyed Nibali's attack and was a strong sprint win by Kristoff. But overall, excitement seemed to be lacking a little. I'll give it a 6.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how the Pompeiana can shake up the racing next year.

I give it a 6. Just to little action on the poggio. I was expecting more of the riders. The route should stay the same with le Manie in it.

A huge victory for Kristoff. He was really struggling on the Poggio and thanks to Paolini he came back on the front. I don't think Kristoff will play a role in Flanders or Roubaix, where it's gonna be more a man to man fight. Maybe he can get a podium in Gent Wevelgem next week.

A bit dissapointed in Sagan, pure bad luck for Degenkolb and a Cancellara in topform would have attacked on the Poggio, wouldn't he?