• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the Giro!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the Giro

Votes: 17 10.6%

Votes: 54 33.5%

Votes: 51 31.7%

Votes: 24 14.9%

Votes: 5 3.1%

Votes: 3 1.9%

Votes: 3 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
10 for me
Never had a GC position fluctuated like a one day race. Overturning a deficit of ~5 min is almost impossible. The last one to be decided this way would be 2006 Landis. The way in which this GC was decided was epic.

+1!!

Gc wise the most dramatic giro since maybe the giros of 2002 or 1998. i think the many fluctiations were consequence of the lack of several super squads. only astana could control. i m a bit sad for chaves but he will grow. chapeau nibali,great moral! jungels constant diesel! uran strong even with disease. majka again riding nicely efficient. the 3rd place for valverde is a great achievement just look how happy he was yesterday at the finish line!
kruijswijk - well..seems like he took "those who can't use their head must use their back" literally in the agnello descent.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Tough to say an 8 after these past 2 stages but the first couple weeks outside a couple stages were not too exciting. The weather cooperating was great though and that was one heck of an ending. Little more action earlier would have been nice though

Re:

The clinic is &#10153 way, I'm surprised you haven't been suspended yet :D
Pantani_lives said:
Quality: 6 - Froome or Contador would have been at least five minutes ahead, but then people would have complained that the race was boring. Nibali was strong in the Alps, but not in the first two and a half weeks.

9/10

First time in over 100 years three different riders had the pink jersey in the final 4 stages.
(and back then, there were only 9 stages)

Sure, what came in front was sometimes dull (the two mirror stages in The Netherlands in particular), but the finale was fantastic. In that regard better than 2015, because even though Contador lost a lot of time the final stages, there was no major reshuffle in the standings.

And the 'gala' stage today was still raced - which yields an extra half point in my book.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

malakassis said:
IndianCyclist said:
10 for me
Never had a GC position fluctuated like a one day race. Overturning a deficit of ~5 min is almost impossible. The last one to be decided this way would be 2006 Landis. The way in which this GC was decided was epic.

+1!!

Gc wise the most dramatic giro since maybe the giros of 2002 or 1998. i think the many fluctiations were consequence of the lack of several super squads. only astana could control. i m a bit sad for chaves but he will grow. chapeau nibali,great moral! jungels constant diesel! uran strong even with disease. majka again riding nicely efficient. the 3rd place for valverde is a great achievement just look how happy he was yesterday at the finish line!
kruijswijk - well..seems like he took "those who can't use their head must use their back" literally in the agnello descent.

I think the Giro of 2005 was also spectaculair with Basso who was the strongest in the first week, became sick, Savoldelli who took over the reign and eventually almost lost it to Simoni and Rujano due to a thriller in Sestriere.

And what to think about 2010, with Evans, Basso and Arroyo. Madness too!

8,5 (gave it a 9). Psychology says that you remember the finish and that was probably the biggest twist in the tail this century. I wanted Kruijswijk to win, but he was very brave and gracious in defeat (respect). The crash set up a battle between a renascent Nibali against Chaves, who just faded at the end. The stages in the Dolomites and high Alps were generally raced very hard and there were a couple of "what the hell happened there?" finishes even on transition stages (Trentin, Kluge). The first two weeks weren't that bad with quite a few changes in leadership and one of the main favourites, Landa, sometimes struggling, but looking like he was coming into form before falling ill (but then I have the tendency to ignore flat stages without cobbles).

Due to various reasons I haven't been able to watch il Giro :( it's the first topic I read on here (or on any other site) about the race, because I wanted to catch up later and knowing everything beforehand would make that a lot more boring.

Reading these comments make me quite excited, that's for sure :)

Re:

Flamin said:
Due to various reasons I haven't been able to watch il Giro :( it's the first topic I read on here (or on any other site) about the race, because I wanted to catch up later and knowing everything beforehand would make that a lot more boring.

Corvara, Andalo, Risoul & Sant'Anna di Vinadio were the best stages. You should most definitely watch those.

Netserk said:
Flamin said:

Corvara, Andalo, Risoul & Sant'Anna di Vinadio were the best stages. You should most definitely watch those.
The MTT probably too.

I don't think the 2 first weeks were that bad (exluding Corvara here). Sure, the ITT, Sestola and Cividale disappointed, but on the other hand, Prai a Mare and Roccaraso proved to be better stages than expected. Had the ITT been more selective, it would definitely have been decent, altho Cividale really was raced cowardly - then again, can you blame the riders of thinking what was next? The stage to Corvara was very, very demanding, EVEN when Giau really wasn't used apart from a hard pace.

I think 2015 was better and I'd say thats a 9. It had potential to a 10 if Landa was let free at Mortirolo and the remainder of the stages, so this is a 8, 8,5 maybe.

Netserk said:
Flamin said:

Alright, thanks for the tip! I'll keep this in mind.

Gigs_98 said:
Netserk said:
Flamin said:

The MTT probably too.

Why would you actively watch a TT if it's not live? :p

2010 Giro gets a 3/5 from that genius. 2007 Giro with Saunier Duval lighting up the race gets a 2/5...

dNbssKL.jpg