• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remco Evenepoel

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very hard to estimate the level of such a win compared to competing for GC, but it does show I guess there was a large mental component to the collapse on the Aubisque. Once he cracked he didn't have it in him to fight and lose 7 minutes like Almeida.
Could be. I'd say Quickstep and their GT racing journey are more like where UAE, Jumbo & Sky were in their first few years aiming for GC. All of them took a few years to really get it all dialed in and not experience the really bad days, just off days. It was interesting the main thing Remco wanted to improve was the back room staff, nutrition especially. Look at how much Jumbo and Ineos focus on that alone. They're hitting 100 staff, Quicks Step is what 30-40 staff max? It all makes a difference imo.

I think the performances and blood values of Horner in 2013 show very well how much you can get away with at that point and how well they work. I think the default assumption should be that Contador, Valverde, Nibali, Froome, Quintana etc. were all blood doping in that period.
You could be right, I just think it is less and less likely. However, I could certainly be wrong. As I am less and less involved at the top end of the sport, I also know less about what could be happening

EDIT: I should add that my post was more related to what happens during races

Last edited:
I think the performances and blood values of Horner in 2013 show very well how much you can get away with at that point and how well they work. I think the default assumption should be that Contador, Valverde, Nibali, Froome, Quintana etc. were all blood doping in that period.

yes definitely. reminder that a minor rider on a small team, Stefan Denifl, was confirmed to be dropping blood bags, won a Grand Tour stage and was not caught by the tests or the passport as recently as 2017. Operation Aderlass showed that even really inconsequential riders were still blood doping in that era and speeds have only gone up since that all went down.

Bardets post stage interview is interesting though as he isnt describing a breakaway the GC are just letting happen, he's saying he could barely keep up with Remco, having to sprint out of every corner just to stay with him, and thats those two working together apparently. Bardet was just being Bardet in thinking he could carry on like that for 90km, a smarter rider might have just let Remco get on with it

and then Remco gifts him the trophy and a jersey like he's some neo pro at his first race. wth is that all about ?