• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remco vs Roglic

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who do you dis more, Remco or Roglic?

• Remco

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Roglic

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • In this namby pamby PC world, I love both riders, but I hope Remco pummels the guts out of Roglic.

• I'm cheering for Roglic, something about that ski background and the smile just touches me.

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Vin(g)o option: irrelevant, bring on the tour

• Because of fundamentalist fanaticism, I’m rooting for Caruso

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought that's what you implied. Again what Olympics event? I'd say, in any case, that you can't send him to the Tour without it being the primary goal, but if you do then it raised questions.
They already put off the Tour by a few years because of crash, not being the right time, not enough support etc. There werent any more excuses to skip it.

Everyone wants the best riders at the Tour, from every perspective, and it aligning as probably the best prep before the Olympics is a win-win.

Remco is their biggest rider so of course he should be there and try to make the most of it both from a sporting and commercial aspect, but Olympics is what he has the biggest chance of actually winning.

There are many reasons to send him to the Tour and what is the "primary goal" publicly or behind closed doors is two very different things, I believe.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
I
They already put off the Tour by a few years because of crash, not being the right time, not enough support etc. There werent any more excuses to skip it.

Everyone wants the best riders at the Tour, from every perspective, and it aligning as probably the best prep before the Olympics is a win-win.

Remco is their biggest rider so of course he should be there and try to make the most of it both from a sporting and commercial aspect, but Olympics is what he has the biggest chance of actually winning.

There are many reasons to send him to the Tour and what is the "primary goal" publicly or behind closed doors is two very different things, I believe.
I still don't get if you mean Olympics RR or ITT? They put off the Tour, because they were afraid he couldn't deliver and had excuses (primarily the disruptive long-term effects of the Lombardia crash). But I don't think it was wise to send him to the Giro last year, which should have been his Tour debute. That way they'd know his prospects. But now he goes to the Tour without optimal preparation. But the Olympics was the big or more realistic goal all along? I'd buy it if they didn't think he has Tour prospects.

I

I still don't get if you mean Olympics RR or ITT? They put off the Tour, because they were afraid he couldn't deliver and had excuses (primarily the disruptive long-term effects of the Lombardia crash). But I don't think it was wise to send him to the Giro last year, which should have been his Tour debute. That way they'd know his prospects. But now he goes to the Tour without optimal preparation. But the Olympics was the big or more realistic goal all along? I'd buy it if they didn't think he has Tour prospects.
I have explained why he is going Tour more than once now.

I have said they are both there for sporting and commercial aspects.

But Olympics is the big goal, imo, and has always been this year. That doesnt mean there arent any Tour prospects, as well. It is the biggest stage and show for the sport.

[Content deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's status quo as things stand. Nothing that has happened in the Dauphiné is unexpected. Everyone is at their predicted place with all things being equal (although Ayuso disappointed yesterday IMO). Before the ITT we didn't really know whether it was technical & hilly or not... & it turns out it was barely technical & barely hilly, so the result was predictable.

Now we've got a real battle coming up in the mountains. Hindley & Vlasov will be important here. Not as cards to play from afar (it's a pointless tactic in this situation) but as riders on the front of the bunch drilling it in order to drop almost everyone & set Rog up for an attack. The big question is whether Evenepoel has his best climbing legs. If he does he'll win the Dauphiné thanks to his ITT superiority on that particular type of profile we saw yesterday.