• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Asero831 said:
He surely deserve 1 million contract now. Not sure if Movistar have budget for this.
I imagine he's gonna be worth more than that.

Also hard to imagine Movistar not having that kind of money if both Landa and Quintana are set to leaven.

They absolutely have to try to retain him cause they can't just rely on Valverde all season anymore.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
I think all the talk of this being a weak GT is ***. I think the climbing level has been quite high and Carapaz has never been in problem ONE time. How many times can you say that of a GT-winner?
It really depends on definitions, which are always gonna be fluid and which are very often gonna change dependent on which case we're arguing for.

I would say though that 'no problem in one time' would make the definition very biased towards climbers.

I don't see anybody denying Carapaz is strong. But if you ask me if this Giro peloton starts the Giro 100 times in the exact same starting shape how often do we get the same winner I don't think it's more than for many other GTs.

Oh yeah definitely, but it was referring to the climbing level being high and him not being in problem on the climbs. Obviously he had his troubles in the time trials against Nibali and especially Roglic while being moderately better than Nibs uphill and significantly better than Rogla uphill at times.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
But Joaquim Rodriguez was the strongest rider in 2012! ;)

Btw, I feel you can do that for most of the GT's winners. Realistically, the stars will have align if you are winning a GT without being super superior. Can always come up with lots and lots of stuff that went x rider's way.

Exactly, and none more so than Nibali.

And this is how it all started. He was tubeless from the very beginning.

caparaz-9a4c618b036164a684a901dcaf21cf67-1200x0.jpg

Worst GT ever in terms of timing relative to my jobs, but what a winner we have! I've not often failed to hold back tears in watching sports, but Richard, you make me, man. Don't have to be an Equadorian to know what it means to be proud of him.
A Movistar leader that didn't manage to either mess himself up nor disgruntle viewers...wow.
Or maybe Landa did...

I missed the entire third week due to vacation, but was really happy to see Carapaz win (would've been happy with Nibali too).

Great for the sport to have a young-ish guy from a country not previously really associated with pro cycling win a race like this.