• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just because.

Scanning through the first page I had a LOL at the comparison with Gaviria.

Glad you bumped this because I felt like I shouldn't double post it, but it was another great showing today. Shame we missed him launch but as has been the case since 2019 he went and basically never looked back. A couple more days like this and perhaps be a bit more mindful of Carthy if he looks like sticking around and we could be looking at number 2.

Got to love how the guy races. Too bad he joined Ineos, i would have liked to see him duke it out with Bernal. He definitively seems to have more punch, not sure about the longer climbs.

They signed him before last year's Giro. I wonder if at the time they wanted him as a dom or future leader. It will be interesting to see how they manage the GT's next year at Ineos, with Bernal, Hart, Thomas, Carapaz & Sivakov.

Yep, another really strong showing today. Thought he was very sensible in his approach setting a manageable pace even with Carthy off the front and when he did pull him back then attacking himself.

Probably one step too far trying to jump Roglic after he caught him the first time and kind of teed up the counter, but can't begrudge a man for actively trying to win races.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yep, another really strong showing today. Thought he was very sensible in his approach setting a manageable pace even with Carthy off the front and when he did pull him back then attacking himself.

Probably one step too far trying to jump Roglic after he caught him the first time and kind of teed up the counter, but can't begrudge a man for actively trying to win races.
He was in a very bad position with 6-7 km to go. Team evaporated quickly but as you said he paced himself very well. He'll be vulnerable to ambushes if his teammates (especially Sosa) don't improve.

Fought to the end.

Probably some things he could have done better as an individual - not teeing up Moncavillo with the failed second attempt, trying something on Farrapona and perhaps going earlier today - but absolutely confirmed his ability as a top GC rider.

He was a bit short changed by Ineos so I hope they give him some proper backing for his objectives next year

Yeah he's definitely a legit GT contender. Probably more suited to the Giro with some high altitude long climbs but he's not a bad puncher either.

Ineos depth chart is very crowded at the top so I'm not entirely sure he will get sole leadership in a GT next year.
I wouldn't be that surprised to see him as a co-leader at the Tour, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. He could have won the Vuelta with better tactics and besides Amador (who crashed) he had a really mediocre team.

And I also get the feeling he is not the greatest at super steep climbs. In the 2018 Giro he really struggled at Zonc and arrived 2 mins down outside the top 10, in 2019 Giro he wasn't looking that strong on Mortirolo and this Vuelta he struggled on Angliru. Needs more diesel climbing and high altitude imo.
"Struggling" is a big word if we look at how well he performed on the Mortirolo and on the Angliru, but I get what you're saying. He benefits from hard stages and high altitude, a team making the stage really hard for him would also suit him well.

Yeah he's definitely a legit GT contender. Probably more suited to the Giro with some high altitude long climbs but he's not a bad puncher either.

Ineos depth chart is very crowded at the top so I'm not entirely sure he will get sole leadership in a GT next year.

Definitely feels a pretty Giro rider to me, but would not be surprised to see Vuelta next year - can't see the tour unless a very favourable route materialises in 22

Tour might come once he moves on from Ineos. I could see him being a good fit at Astana

I wouldn't be that surprised to see him as a co-leader at the Tour, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. He could have won the Vuelta with better tactics and besides Amador (who crashed) he had a really mediocre team.
I would be incredibly surprised if Ineos bring him to the Tour as a co leader. Roglic beat him despite being at a lower level than the Tour and there only being one ITT. He's probably gonna have to share Giro leadership and his absolute best case scenario is if he gets to do Giro/Vuelta and won't have to do the Tour as a helper.

I think Ineos will just go Thomas/Bernal for the Tour.

Reactions: SafeBet
I would be incredibly surprised if Ineos bring him to the Tour as a co leader. Roglic beat him despite being at a lower level than the Tour and there only being one ITT. He's probably gonna have to share Giro leadership and his absolute best case scenario is if he gets to do Giro/Vuelta and won't have to do the Tour as a helper.

Bernal, Thomas and Porte for the Tour, and Carapaz and Hart for the Giro? At least hope that Carapaz will head their Giro line-up.

I don't know, he has shown that they can count on him, even if they mess with his preparation by changing everything up at the last minute. It wouldn't surprise me to see him as the 2nd option at the Tour, but it will come down to how Bernal bounces back.
Bernal and Sosa are training buddies and their season went pretty much the same, good in the first race after the lockdown, then worse and worse. It is likely that they overtrained/got their prep wrong during the lockdown/race break.
But yes, Carapaz and Tao to the Giro and Bernal/Thomas/Sivakov to the Tour is probably the more realistic option.

If Bernal's back does not respond to therapy then it will be Carapaz. Would Ineos designate Thomas as co-leader? Way too early to say. If Thomas does not impress in the run up then IMO Ineos should go all in for Carapaz with a powerful train and Ganna/DennisSivakov/Hart as domestiques, with Hart as the second GC option. I know that's a bit extreme but at the moment Carapaz, to me, is the most convincing GT threat. I think Hart was a one-off, to be honest. Happy to be wrong tho.

TRENDING THREADS