• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I love the guy. He comes from a rural area in Ecuador, of a modest family. He had to conquer his place in the pecking order at Movistar and managed to win the Giro coming from an underdog position, not only with regards to Roglic and Nibali, but also within his own team.
His transfer to Ineos was easy from a financial POV, but it created extra pressure as he wasn't the character to ride in a serving role. So again, he conquered his place in the pecking order, almost won the Vuelta, and he clearly forced his way into being the Ineos' leader at the Tour by the merits of focusing on surviving the splits, crashes and uphill finishes in the first week when it mattered. He also dared to challenged Pogacar, even though he knew he couldn't win the GC.
He could stop tomorrow and easily would have a career that's better than all but 5 in the current peloton.

As someone who has lived 2,5 years in South America I am very happy for Carapaz. People from Europe or America oftentimes don't appreciate how much harder it is for South Americans to reach the top in pretty much any sport. The structure just isn't there.

I would caution anybody to hold a grudge for the Ineos transfer. The welfare system in Ecuador isn't comparable and the children often times have to take care of their parents financially. Obviously he has to take the offer from Ineos in that situation.

As someone who has lived 2,5 years in South America I am very happy for Carapaz. People from Europe or America oftentimes don't appreciate how much harder it is for South Americans to reach the top in pretty much any sport. The structure just isn't there.

I would caution anybody to hold a grudge for the Ineos transfer. The welfare system in Ecuador isn't comparable and the children often times have to take care of their parents financially. Obviously he has to take the offer from Ineos in that situation.
I lived for some time in S-America as well. I met many great MTB riders who were technically and physically as fit as anyone. The possibilities to once shine in a big race in Europe are so much smaller though, than for any rider in Belgium, France, Italy,...

TRENDING THREADS