• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
SeriousSam said:
movingtarget said:
Can't see Porte winning the Giro. One week form means nothing in GTs as we have seen in the past.
What we have actually seen in the past is that winning one week stage races and doing well in them in general, correlates with doing well in GTs. Which is of course not a surprise at all.

In that case Talansky, Rodriguez, Porte, Gerrans, Leipheimer, TJVG, Rogers, Meyer, Bobridge, Dennis, Van De Velde, Slagter, Cancellara and many others should have won GTs which they haven't. Only Rodriguez and and Leipheimer made podiums. Plenty of riders can do well over a week but not many can win over three weeks. Porte has always been strong in one week races but has not finished higher than seventh in any of his GTs. I think he can do better but I doubt he can win. Winning is always good and Porte is winning but he has not shown he has the ability to win a GT. I think he can podium at best.
Very good point

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Porte has won almost every stage race he entered this year unlike those other riders mentioned.

He is doing the Dawg/Wiggins 6 month peak followed by an extra GT peak. no doubt he will be a monster in the giro and I think Contador will actually struggle to beat him if he isn't 100% peaking himself.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The post is in need of further fixing, because Contador comes in different flavours. He'll need to be at a high level to be better than the best, no meltdown Porte. Not just any level will do.

Also, Porte is stronger than Uran.

Re:

the sceptic said:
Porte has won almost every stage race he entered this year unlike those other riders mentioned.

He is doing the Dawg/Wiggins 6 month peak followed by an extra GT peak. no doubt he will be a monster in the giro and I think Contador will actually struggle to beat him if he isn't 100% peaking himself.

Rest assured, Contador will be well 'prepared' for the Giro... :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

MatParker117 said:
phanatic said:
Porte at his best, and without any bad days, cannot beat Contador. Further, Uran is also a stronger candidate for the podium than Porte. I just hope that Porte holds it together and beats Pozzo in the ITT.

He beat him in the Volta mountain stage.

LMAO, the world wouldn't be the same with people like you.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

MatParker117 said:
phanatic said:
Porte at his best, and without any bad days, cannot beat Contador. Further, Uran is also a stronger candidate for the podium than Porte. I just hope that Porte holds it together and beats Pozzo in the ITT.

Yes he did .Sh%t. Its done and dusted Porte it is then :rolleyes:

Wtf so many Contador fans on Porte thread :eek: Seems like Little Richie string of wins made them reconsider Contador ability.I don't get it what can Porte do against"The Great One",why are we having this discussion.I was under the impression that Contador already won Il Giro,will win the TDF and then try to add La Vuelta.In the year when Contador will try the historical triple,Contador fans are discussing about his former domestique,this is really delusional.

DBotero said:
Wtf so many Contador fans on Porte thread :eek: Seems like Little Richie string of wins made them reconsider Contador ability.I don't get it what can Porte do against"The Great One",why are we having this discussion.I was under the impression that Contador already won Il Giro,will win the TDF and then try to add La Vuelta.In the year when Contador will try the historical triple,Contador fans are discussing about his former domestique,this is really delusional.
this makes no sense to me. A mix of seriousness and sarcasm? :confused:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I has far as I am aware its a Porte discussion thread not a Porte fan boy thread.

I can't stand Porte and I feel this is a good place to express my opinions as he his the subject matter.

LaFlorecita said:
DBotero said:
this makes no sense to me. A mix of seriousness and sarcasm? :confused:

Which part was the seriousness one?

DBotero said:

AC won't be going for the triple this year.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
DBotero said:

Gone fishing ,,,,caught nothing :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

DBotero said:
ray j willings said:
I has far as I am aware its a Porte discussion thread not a Porte fan boy thread.

I can't stand Porte and I feel this is a good place to express my opinions as he his the subject matter.
Lol a troll with comprehend issues ;)

Did you know trolls exist ...I saw a film once :D

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Dedelou said:
We are about to find out for sure if little richie is up for the big game. Alberto and him have known each other for a while.. and now both have shared the same coaches at one point or another.. There is no doubts that Porte is in form, the early season wins are here to prove it. Now the test is to be able to sustain that form over time and against tough competition. I understand that part of the Sky strategy is to have Porte give Contador a hard race no matter what happened in the end as the harder it gets in the Giro the better for Sky later in the tour de france

Sky plans do not revolve around Contador. In 2015 so far, in any of the races they've encountered him, they have beaten him (Only exception Poels at Tirreno). If Porte loses his chance for podium/top five placement early, he might be used as domestique for Konig or might hunt stage wins IMHO.
With the cobbles and a hectic first week anything might happen in the Tour, but I think a Contador with the Giro in his legs (irrelevant of how he raced it) will not be considered as dangerous as a fresh Nibali and Quintana.

Miburo said:
MatParker117 said:
phanatic said:

LMAO, the world wouldn't be the same with people like you.

I live to entertain. In all seriousness I'm not ruling Porte out, strong team and dropping his rivals on La Molina will have done his confidence the world of good.