• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
DBotero said:
ray j willings said:
I has far as I am aware its a Porte discussion thread not a Porte fan boy thread.

I can't stand Porte and I feel this is a good place to express my opinions as he his the subject matter.
Lol a troll with comprehend issues ;)

Did you know trolls exist ...I saw a film once :D

Make sure you behave accordingly, and be gone by the morning. Though not to come back.

Ataraxus said:
Sky plans do not revolve around Contador. In 2015 so far, in any of the races they've encountered him, they have beaten him (Only exception Poels at Tirreno). If Porte loses his chance for podium/top five placement early, he might be used as domestique for Konig or might hunt stage wins IMHO.
With the cobbles and a hectic first week anything might happen in the Tour, but I think a Contador with the Giro in his legs (irrelevant of how he raced it) will not be considered as dangerous as a fresh Nibali and Quintana.
Let them underestimate Alberto. Victory will be even sweeter :D

Ataraxus said:
Sky plans do not revolve around Contador. In 2015 so far, in any of the races they've encountered him, they have beaten him (Only exception Poels at Tirreno). If Porte loses his chance for podium/top five placement early, he might be used as domestique for Konig or might hunt stage wins IMHO.
With the cobbles and a hectic first week anything might happen in the Tour, but I think a Contador with the Giro in his legs (irrelevant of how he raced it) will not be considered as dangerous as a fresh Nibali and Quintana.
Thats what they should do if Porte loses a podium. But in reality...
Sky are stubborn. Even if the leader isn't on good form they'll stick with the out of form rider.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
As has been said, even if Porte has a bad day he will still be in good enough form on most of the mountain stages to push Contador harder than he would like. Every ounce of extra energy used in the Giro will be eating in to his Tour energy reserves.

Contador has to win the Giro before worrying about the Tour. I just don't think the double is possible anymore, Porte is still an unknown quantity over 3 weeks. When he finished 7th in the Giro it was courtesy of a crazy break with 50 riders in horrible weather. Last year he was ill in the Tour. He looked best in the 2013 Tour, had one awful day but his race in support of Froome that year was superb. I expect a better ride by Porte but I still consider Contador hot favourite based on what I have seen of the expected challengers in the past 12 months. I actually hope Contador is pushed as the race will be a much better one for the fans but I think the Tour might be the better race this year.

movingtarget said:
Pricey_sky said:
As has been said, even if Porte has a bad day he will still be in good enough form on most of the mountain stages to push Contador harder than he would like. Every ounce of extra energy used in the Giro will be eating in to his Tour energy reserves.

Contador has to win the Giro before worrying about the Tour. I just don't think the double is possible anymore, Porte is still an unknown quantity over 3 weeks. When he finished 7th in the Giro it was courtesy of a crazy break with 50 riders in horrible weather. Last year he was ill in the Tour. He looked best in the 2013 Tour, had one awful day but his race in support of Froome that year was superb. I expect a better ride by Porte but I still consider Contador hot favourite based on what I have seen of the expected challengers in the past 12 months. I actually hope Contador is pushed as the race will be a much better one for the fans but I think the Tour might be the better race this year.
I think Contador will be much closer than you think. Can you guarantee Froome and Quintana won't lose time in the first week? Contador can handle Nibali uphill. He just needs some luck. It's foolish to say it is impossible.
Anyway. Let's just wait. Alberto will prove you wrong :)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

BigMac said:
ray j willings said:
DBotero said:
ray j willings said:
I has far as I am aware its a Porte discussion thread not a Porte fan boy thread.

I can't stand Porte and I feel this is a good place to express my opinions as he his the subject matter.
Lol a troll with comprehend issues ;)

Did you know trolls exist ...I saw a film once :D

Make sure you behave accordingly, and be gone by the morning. Though not to come back.

I love you man :D

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:

These seem like the words of an anti-Contador fan more than a Froome/Sky fan to me.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

lemon cheese cake said:
Ataraxus said:
Thats what they should do if Porte loses a podium. But in reality...
Sky are stubborn. Even if the leader isn't on good form they'll stick with the out of form rider.

Perhaps you can help me out, but I don't remember a single event where SKY were stubborn.
Sky are calculative. And the words calculative and stubborn are somehow mutually exclusive.
Was Froome stubborn during Vuelta 2014 when the Spanish trio distanced him in almost every climb?
If he had been, he would have followed them.....and blow himself as a consequence.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Ataraxus said:
Let them underestimate Alberto. Victory will be even sweeter :D

Setting yourself up for high expectations ehh?
180 degree change of approach from a few years back. :D

Ataraxus said:
Pricey_sky said:

These seem like the words of an anti-Contador fan more than a Froome/Sky fan to me.

Im not anti-Contador, of course I want Froome to beat him but if it's great racing racing and Contador comes out on top, then fair play to him. Obviousy I want Froome to win the Tour however you cannot tell me the likes of Quintana and Nibali will be unhappy if Porte does make it very difficult for Alberto next month.

SeriousSam said:
movingtarget said:
SeriousSam said:
movingtarget said:
Can't see Porte winning the Giro. One week form means nothing in GTs as we have seen in the past.

If Porte had been going like in 2014 up to now, he'd have a much smaller chance. Because he had blistering form his chance is better. The results clearly are indicative, I honestly struggle to understand how anyone could believe otherwise.

The key to understanding the stridency is that there's nothing humans relish more than identifying a sportsperson as a 'choker' and sticking the boot in.

Never mind that in Porte's case there are only two reliably significant points of evidence (2013 and 2014 Tour), the psychological need to gorge on schadenfreude is strong enough for people to proclaim with a confidence they wouldn't dream of applying to other matters that Richie will "never, ever" be a GT rider.

FWIW, I've got serious doubts too, but there's not enough evidence - yet - to write him off.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Apparently Little Ritchie is currently so skinny that he has the lowest body fat ever measured for a SKY team rider. If that is the case and he has been at these extremely low and "unhealthy" levels for a while it is just a matter of time when his body refuses to participate and 3 weeks long Giro is just that.

Quite honestly, I doubt that he will even last two weeks before cracking.

Re:

Jancouver said:
Apparently Little Ritchie is currently so skinny that he has the lowest body fat ever measured for a SKY team rider. If that is the case and he has been at these extremely low and "unhealthy" levels for a while it is just a matter of time when his body refuses to participate and 3 weeks long Giro is just that.

Let's hope he'll make it against all odds.I'm very curious if his top level is good enough to challenge Contador.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Jancouver said:

Did Sky release that information? If so, it might be so as to per-emptively explain an extremely good performance. Brailsford did that before Froome's Ax3 iirc.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
Jancouver said:

Did Sky release that information? If so, it might be so as to per-emptively explain an extremely good performance. Brailsford did that before Froome's Ax3 iirc.

Yes, directly from SKY. Lowest body fat level ever measured for any rider in team history.

It really depends from rider's physique. Wouldn't read too much into it. For example at the end of Tour 2014 Poljanski was at almost half the body fat compared to Majka :D
I am hopeful that he will get through the GT without a bad day. Curious what he can achieve then, and looks like its the only hope for a good race with Aru and Uran looking bit sub-par

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
It really depends from rider's physique. Wouldn't read too much into it. For example at the end of Tour 2014 Poljanski was at almost half the body fat compared to Majka :D
I am hopeful that he will get through the GT without a bad day. Curious what he can achieve then, and looks like its the only hope for a good race with Aru and Uran looking bit sub-par

Interesting revelation, where do you got it, please?

I wouldn't say Uran is subpar, at least not on the Romandie performance.

Kokoso said:
damian13ster said:

Interesting revelation, where do you got it, please?

I wouldn't say Uran is subpar, at least not on the Romandie performance.

It was from pre-season interview with Rafal in Polish media. He mentioned that at the end of the tour his BF% was around 4-4.5%, while Poljanskis was 2.5-3%. Tried to find a link quickly but couldn't dig it up. Once I stumble upon it I will post it here

Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
Lower than Froome who was allegedly at 2.5-3% ? :rolleyes:

That's on the very brink of survival. Insane.

The focus on weight-loss is also not healthy IMO - gateway to anorexia, frankly and hardly the emphasis you want to make for young riders / fans who haven't got the medical team and dieticians behind them to make this kind of weight loss 'safe'.

TRENDING THREADS